Apple AD during the oscars...

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by G4scott, Mar 7, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

According to Mac Minute, Apple has bought a spot for a TV commercial during the oscars on March 24th. Now, think of the date, the 24th...

*Original Macintosh was released on the 24th
    *Mac OS X was released on the 24th
    *According to someone's post, Jobs's birthday is on the 24th of some month (if you know, please reply!)
    *Apple has kinda had a history for doing special things on the 24th

If you could think of any other "famous" Apple releases on the 24th of any month, please reply to this post! I just wonder if it is an iMac commercial, or a commercial for something new... I hope not one of those funny iMac commercials, but a different one would be nice, one with a little more umph...

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

To feed the flames... MW Tokyo will have just had occured March 21-23 prior to the oscars...

Coincience? Probably... :)

arn

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I hate to add fuel to the already blazing fires....but this seems highly interesting!

I think it would be really cool for Apple to give us something on the 24th. We already know of the being rumored for something BIG.....OS 10.2? G5? PDA? <reaching for the barf bucket!!!>

Now that there's a commercial involved....this has gotta be something substantial! :p

4. KillerDeMouches macrumors newbie

If i remember

If i remember, Mr Jobs is born, like me, in febuary the 24th... But i'm not sure..

But i'm sure it is a 24 th!

5. grrr223 macrumors regular

they're probalby just going to make a big deal out of the fact that they won an oscar. just go to apple's website and you'll see that they won a technical academy award.

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

7. segastyle macrumors member

perhaps it's just finally a commercial for the new imac. after all it's their newest computer. jobs' little baby. almost every non-mac person who sees it loves it. they should have a commercial for it! you can't buy it if you don't know it exists. and now that apple has some in stock (barely) it's better to advertise it than bac kduring the superbowl when you could go to a store and buy one.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Maybe it's a commercial for iPhoto. Apple already made commercials for iMovie, iDVD and iTunes (unless I am mistaken). Why not follow up with iPhoto?

I heard that iPhoto broke a million downloads within the first two months. A commercial will sell well.

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

it was on the cover of TIME magazine the week it debuted!!!

not to mention being on television....I doubt people are going to be blown away by an iMac commercial during the Oscars...

I feel....well more hope....this is going to be something really worth seeing!

10. #Johnny5 macrumors newbie

King Cobra-
    You need to get out less. I mean, you need to watch TV more. The iTunes ad was the over-priced one with all the big-name musical artists in the theatre. And the iPhoto ad is the one with the couple in the hospital, just after she has the baby.

I'd like to dream that it's for a G5 or PDA or something, but to be realistic, it's going to be the iMac or the Grammy they won. Most likely the iMac, since Apple hasn't really been getting into the audio stuff very much as of late. Although it is Apple, so anything is possible. And I hope it is an amazing anything!

[#J5]

11. MacMan4Life macrumors newbie

What about...

Could this be something as simple as a general ad for Apple?

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: What about...

if Apple were head by someone who had normal methods of execution than yes....it could be a possibility...

but when has Steve Jobs ever been known not to make a spectacle?!

13. Timothy macrumors 6502

Final Cup Pro 3

My bet is that it is an Ad for Final Cut. The target is perfect...and Apple would love to see some Indie Movies wholly created on the mac platform.

Ask yourself, what is the target audience of the Oscars? Its not a PDA. Its not "technical" like the G5...it's creative...like FCP.

14. mmercier macrumors newbie

Didn't Apple anounced it was aquiring NeXT on December 24, 199x? :confused:

15. Timothy macrumors 6502

or...iPod

Or...it could be a new ad for iPod...

2000 songs in your pocket.

16. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Wow, I didn't think that this post would make it to the front page of MacRumors :D , anyways...

I think arn's right. Apple will introduce some kick-ass product during MW Tokyo (Jobs is doing a keynote!), and Apple will promote it to the public with this commercial. Now, we know that it can't easialy be a computer because they've all been updated recently, unless its a new revised PoweBook, but even then, that's stretching it. That leaves just new hardware, or software to be introduced!

17. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Target audience

I think it will be a commercial for iMovie using the new iMac. And... I think the commercial itself will be made using iMovie. There will definitely be some reference to how future hollywood film makers are cutting their teeth on iMovie/FCP.

I was debating over an ibook vs pbook.... well, that debate can wait till March 25.

I just hope the website doesn't hype MWT. I dont think my heart can stand that type of stress again.

Buffsldr

18. #Johnny5 macrumors newbie

I just saw an ad for the new iMac - right before ER on NBC. It's of a guy looking at one of the new iMac, and the iMac keeps copying everything he does - when the guy sticks his tongue out at it, the iMac sticks its Superdrive out at him. Pretty cute!

So is this the commercial we'll see during the Oscars? I for one don't think so. Why would Apple play a by-then old commercial during something like the Oscars. That's ALMOST like playing a re-run commercial during the Superbowl.

I'm beginning to think Timothy or buffsldr was right - something about Final Cut Pro... or maybe iMovie, would make the most sense during the Oscars. Even if it's not a huge announcement, you can be sure it'll be a damn cool commercial! As long as Jeff Goldbloom isn't narrating it, that is!

[#J5]

19. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Actually - I was implying that it was NOT related when I said "Coincidence? Probably..."

arn

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I just saw that commercial....I was coming to post it but u beat me to it...

I don't know what to think about this....I doubt it's a G5 spot....

who knows? maybe it really is just going to be a commercial....?! :confused:

21. #Johnny5 macrumors newbie

Well, the new iMac commercial does have Jeff Goldbloom's voice. But the commercial is still good.

22. elgruga macrumors 6502

elgruga

iwok iwok iwok iwok iwok

Its going to be the new PDA! The iWalk or iwok (because it will be announced in Japan.

I am getting a bit ridiculous about this iwok thing........I need a vacation.

Its just going to be a normal(?) Apple ad following them collecting the Oscar for - what was it for?

23. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

NO FAIR
    I wanna see that iMac ad but we don't get them herre is Australia and it is not on the Apple site.

24. kbwizzard macrumors newbie

Steve Jobs B-Day!

Steven P. Jobs' Birthday is: February 24, 1955...Happy belated, Steve.

25. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

oops...

oops... i didn't read it quite right... but i still think that the commecrial will advertise something new...