Apple Addresses iBook Logic Boards

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple has posted a FAQ about their new iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program.

The program is "a worldwide program covering repair or replacement of the logic board in specific iBook models manufactured between May 2002 and April 2003 that are experiencing specific component failures."

This program begins on January 28, 2004 and will cover affected iBooks for a period of 3 years from the time of first retail sale. Apple will cover all costs involved, including shipping, for eligible customers.

To participate in the program, call the appropriate AppleCare Contact Center for the country in which you are located, or contact a local AASP. The U.S. support number is 1-800-275-2273.

2. macrumors regular

jcshas

Way to go Apple - I feel much better (safer) now!

3. macrumors regular

YES!

YES YES YES!!!

4. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

This is most definitely a good thing.

5. macrumors 6502

this is really good, sory gous im relly durkn rnow, but i think this is togood....

6. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

good for the company's image, and the right thing to do. Bravo.

7. macrumors G3

Counterfit

About time they started handling it right.

BTW, how often does the main page refresh?

8. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Good for all ibook customers with sucky ibooks...

9. macrumors 6502

OH MY GOSH I did not expect this at all from Apple who had previously said that no known problem exists. Wow I may get my ibook repaired after all :D

10. macrumors 6502

Beat you to the news Arn.

I posted this under General Apple and Tech Discussion at ..
    01-28-2004 09:08 PM

Smoked!

11. macrumors regular

South Windsor, CT ... This town is just one bi
    that's pretty damn funny, and does make the apple call i got yesterday make more sense. apple called me a few times yesterday, and didn't leave messages. then they called once i was home and kept trying to push me to get the applecare (i'm waiting till it gets closer to my original warranty going out) and they were pushing hard for me to get it. then this happens the next day. that's a pretty big freaking coincidence. but i am glad they finally did come clean with this though.

12. macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

This is great considering I have one of the covered iBooks (I'm using it right now). This means I'm covered if my logic board craps out until July 2005!!!

I'm on my 4th logic board right now, and I've had it for about a year now, so it doesn't look like I'll ever have to use this program, but I'm glad to know it is there!

This is also the right thing to do. I'm glad Apple faced up to these poor components instead of denying it and pissing off customers.

13. macrumors 68040

jxyama

great. better late than never and congrats (of sorts) to iBook users who's been plagued by this...

does this mean:

1) apple has figured out the exact nature of the problem and found a solution for it? (i think the theory is that it's not the logic board but the power supply? afterall, logic boards can't fail *that* many times on its own, could it?) it would be awfully expensive for apple to keep on bandaging the problem (replacing the logic boards) if the fundamental problem is not addressed?

2) iBooks after april 2003 aren't affected? (is that the last generation G3 iBook?)

3) (similar to #2) G4 iBook aren't affected?

14. macrumors newbie

Apparently, this is great news to me.
    I'm on second Logic board, which I received from Apple in April. It has caused no problem yet.

But...I wonder that Apple would repair the faulty component. I think they will just change it with the still-faulty Logic board, which is not improved than before.

IMO.

15. macrumors 6502a

jadam

do you still have to be under warranty for this?

But this just KICKS ASSSSSS!!!! WOW! Finally, Ive gone through 2 logic boards so far, apple rocks!!! I LOVE YOU APPLE!!!

16. macrumors 65816

telecomm

Sigh...

My girlfriend just sold her (dead logic board) iBook for next to nothing, since the warranty had run out and she couldn't afford to get it replaced.:(

17. macrumors member

Way to go Apple!! Now if only they had admitted this 8 months ago before I paid for applecare to cover this problem..... But I'm glad to see they did come clean. Raises my confidence in them.

18. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Awesome!.... but I do think it took them a little too long. But, I am glad to know that my iBook will now be covered for three years.

19. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

My iBook covered?

I have an iBook 32 VRAM, one of the covered models, but it is a warranty replacement for a 500MHz model, which is not covered. The purchase date of the original machine was 8/27/01, too early to qualify.

If I do qualify, I'm really happy about this. Now I can have piece of mind.

20. macrumors newbie

Wooohoo! Im not so screwed anymore! Too bad iBook G3 owners dont get free iBook G4s. ;) Well, guess Ill have to call tomorrow.

I only wish Apple would of done this earlier and saved a lot of people cash. I know this situation has created a lot of bad feelings in Apple's customers.

21. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

They're reimbursing those who have already paid for the repair.

Yay Apple!

22. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

why did this take so long should be the question people should be asking. Apple did the right thing but come on it took them a 1 1/2 years to see this? I wonder if it will take that long for fixing that hard drive temp sensor in G5 pro tower?

23. macrumors newbie

Good on ya!

My iBook's a Late 2001, unaffected by this, and has always worked perfectly. I wish everyone who'd bought an iBook on my recommendation had had such a great time...

This is the right thing to do, and it's a shame that making the case for it has taken the shine off Apple's image in recent months... but I guess it takes that long to do the numbers.

A good result - Apple, stick by us, and we'll stick by you.

24. macrumors member

Excellent news indeed. Definitley very good for Apple's image. Way to step up to the plate!

25. macrumors member

When they say "participate in the program", do they mean I have to sign up for somthing? Or do I only need to call if I have a faulty logic board? Basically:, am I automatically covered?