Apple Addresses 'Mac Defender' Threat With Security Update 2011-003 for Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple today released Security Update 2011-003 (Snow Leopard), a new software update that addresses the "Mac Defender" malware that has been afflicting Mac users over the past month.
    The update weighs in at 2.36 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Article Link: Apple Addresses 'Mac Defender' Threat With Security Update 2011-003 for Snow Leopard

2. macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

While i dont know the actual threat of his particular 'malware', I think apple needs to do a lot better than this in future. Such hot fixes need to be available within a couple of days max. If i wanted to use a virus/malware prone PC for weeks, i'd have simply opted for a windows machine instead of the mac!

3. macrumors 603

And it should be available for 10.5 as well.

4. Slix, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Slix

That's good that Apple addressed the issue, Windows updates for this type of thing seem to never happen.

5. Guest

Surely

No alert after I installed it, so I guess no malware on my Mac.........

6. macrumors regular

This security update also makes the system automatically and in the background update the File Quarantine definitions daily.

7. macrumors member

Madonepro

Maybe then learn what the actual threat is, and then you might realise why Apple didn't respond with the level of urgency you suggest.

But if you feel that a PC is more appropiate, seeya...

8. macrumors 6502

Apple have just made the very sensible step of allowing auto-updating of their malware definitions list. Future malware shouldn't require a formal Software Update:

"File Quarantine

Available for: Mac OS X v10.6.7, Mac OS X Server v10.6.7

Impact: Automatically update the known malware definitions

Description: The system will check daily for updates to the File Quarantine malware definition list. An opt-out capability is provided via the "Automatically update safe downloads list" checkbox in Security Preferences. Additional information is available in this Knowledge Base article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4651"
    From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4657

9. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

10. macrumors regular

Can you please elaborate?

11. macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

Can you imagine having to deal with this malware stuff constantly?

I'm glad I use OS X.

12. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Only for 10.6.7? What about 10.5.x or those on lower versions of 10.6? I almost understand 10.5.x... but this list exists in all versions of 10.6.x IIRC...

13. macrumors regular

As posted above the 2011-003 updated also includes this change:

File Quarantine

Available for: Mac OS X v10.6.7, Mac OS X Server v10.6.7

Impact: Automatically update the known malware definitions

Description: The system will check daily for updates to the File Quarantine malware definition list. An opt-out capability is provided via the "Automatically update safe downloads list" checkbox in Security Preferences. Additional information is available in this Knowledge Base article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4651

14. macrumors member

People complaining apple should have done an update withing 1-2 days. really? this is still blown out of proprotion, it's not a virus that installs itself automatically, it's something the user has to install themselves and actually run, removal is as easy as draging it to trash. i'm actually disapointed apple is catoring to this with a new daemon that's now running in background on OS that's scanning downloads for known threats. all because users don't think before they install crap.

and

"Only for 10.6.7? What about 10.5.x or those on lower versions of 10.6? I almost understand 10.5.x... but this list exists in all versions of 10.6.x IIRC..."

really? why should apple provide updates for obsolete OS versions that have FREE updates available?

15. macrumors 65816

No, I can't imagine it. I'm running Windows 7 on my PC. I also have a Mac Mini, but I don't use it nearly as much.

I don't get viruses on Windows. It's a myth spread by the elitist Apple fanboys. Although, I guess I can be a bit elitist in a way in the Apply fanboy world for loving my iPhone 4, but wishing Apple would let us sideload Cydia or something.

16. elppa, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011

macrumors 68040

elppa

This is so typical of the worst posts on here.

Blah, blah, blah… I'm going to have my moan and winge before reading the release note.

You'll be getting daily updates from now on.

Go to security preferences and note the “Automatically update safe downlaods list” checkbox which wasn't there before.

It's like Apple can't do anything right sometimes. And a lot of the response to Mac Defender is just building on top of what was already in place - Apple has slowly beefed up security since Leopard, with File Quarantine, ASLR (albeit rudimentary), Malware checking etc.

Macs will phone home to Cupertino every day to ask for a new list.

I don't think there is anything wrong, controversial or not sensible about this action. What surprises me is they have pulled it off so quickly.

17. macrumors 65816

Except it does install automatically... http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/25...-installs-without-admin-password-requirement/

18. macrumors 6502

You may have already known but the malware definitions file and detection has been there since 10.6. It's just the daily updating that's new.

19. elppa, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011

macrumors 68040

elppa

Thats utter rubbish. With due respect the problem of malware, spyware, viruses, trojan horses, botnets and other malicious software became a real headache for Microsoft during the Windows XP era.

That's why SP2 was such a big deal and one (not the only) reason Vista was delayed.

Yes, read my post before the one you quoted. :)

20. macrumors 6502

Lets please not go back to all this mis-information again.

It does not install automatically. Requiring the admin password or not, it still requires considerable user interaction to install the malware. You have to click through several steps of Installer or nothing will happen.

21. macrumors G4

Small White Car

LOL

We're "fanboys" and yet you don't think Windows has viruses?

I love Apple and probably am a fanboy and yet even I have never told such an unbelievable whopping lie about Apple.

22. macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

Is this related to the "troubles solver" or the "recovery" viruses on windows?

Anyway I'm glad I use OS X and I only have to deal with this once in a while.

23. macrumors 604

chrono1081

You do realize these things take time to find, analyze, and fix right? Apple is a company not some super entity capable of the impossible.

24. macrumors 6502

Fair enough, hadn't seen it :). Although you just edited it, so I don't even know what it said before :p

25. macrumors 68030

tkermit