Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released a new version of Safari for Windows today. Version 3.1.2 is recommended for all Safari Windows users and includes stability improvements and the latest security updates.

Computerworld reports that the new version of Safari for Windows provides a fix for a possible "carpet bomb" issue that was described by Nitesh Dhanjani in May. This exploit alone was considered a nuisance by itself, but combined with other flaws in Windows and Internet Explorer could have resulted in a security risk.

This latest update appears to address this and other security issues for Safari for Windows users.

Article Link

John01021988

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
Good to know they doing something to fix these security flaws. Only thing I can say right now is...... Safari feels Snappier

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I've wondered why Safari on Windows didn't give the same "the file you are downloading may be an executable" warning the way OS X did. It gives you the option of refusing the download. (In which case, it cancels a partly-finished download; or, if the download was fast enough that it completed before you clicked "OK", it leaves the downloaded file, but with a different extension, rendering it un-runnable.)

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Are the issues effecting Safari for Windows relevant to Safari for OSX? If not then we may not see a 3.1.2 until there is a real need for it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Are the issues effecting Safari for Windows relevant to Safari for OSX? If not then we may not see a 3.1.2 until there is a real need for it.

Sounds like the carpet bomb potential is there (a malicious site could litter your download folder with lots of files) in OS X, but it can't autoexecute them, which apparently could happen on Windows, before this update.

arn

WindowsGuy

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Safari for Windows

Even ask a Mac "fanboy" I could never recommend Safari for Windows. It's buggy and just looks way out of place.

I'm a Windows user by choice and I love Safari on Windows. I just hope Apple builds more functionality into it for my iPhone

balk

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
I am not on Windows so who can tell:
"Does Safari feel even snappier now?"

edit:
ok, next time, I should read.... But I'm glad to hear it does feel snappier ;)

kprf

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
As far as Windows side goes I think Safari won't ever be as good as Firefox. It's just too buggy and yes, like one person here mentioned - "out of place".

Oh well. Good to know that they are fixing issues for Windows Safari users, if there are any..

WindowsGuy

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
As far as Windows side goes I think Safari won't ever be as good as Firefox. It's just too buggy and yes, like one person here mentioned - "out of place".

Oh well. Good to know that they are fixing issues for Windows Safari users, if there are any..

Windows would be 98% of the PC's in the World. I'd think Apple would be smart to take advantage of that market share.

If I'm not mistaken Adobe is updating their software for Windows users first and then Mac. And Acrobat has Windows only features that aren't on the Mac.

kprf

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
Windows would be 98% of the PC's in the World. I'd think Apple would be smart to take advantage of that market share.

If I'm not mistaken Adobe is updating their software for Windows users first and then Mac. And Acrobat has Windows only features that aren't on the Mac.

Windows is on 98% of the PC's in the world?

sgntscrawn

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Adelaide, Australia

28monkeys

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
Bangkok, Thailand
Mac OSX will take a long time to eat up windows' existing market share. But the question is when will mac OSX will made well known among the third world countries so apple really should adopt a new strategy to give attention on the third world where they still use a silly dell desktop installed with windows XP

Devin994

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
I would never

I would never expect this kind of thing with Windows. --wink--
This is why I will switch to :apple: soon.

WindowsGuy

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008

Trust me, I was the biggest Mac/Apple fan there could be...

Until I had to work in the business world and had a very rude awakening.
My conversion was slow but I am now a Windows XP (not Vista) fan and I can Network and work in the real business world.

Unless you are in the graphics arena where Mac loyalists will hang on; you can't do day to day business tasks on a Mac, especially if you have to work with data files and SQL DB's.

I hope this changes in the future but it's a fact for Business Today.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
I'm a Windows user by choice and I love Safari on Windows. I just hope Apple builds more functionality into it for my iPhone

Agreed. Well I'm not a Windows user but I love Safari on Windows at work. Go to an article on the NYTimes or any article on any site in both Firefox 3 and in Safari. There is just no contest between font rendering. With Firefox or any other browser I feel like I'm looking at some 8-bit Apple IIe screen font.

I love Firefox for it's add-ons and features, but I'm not really a 'power' browser either and don't use a lot of features. When it comes to actually reading what's on the screen Safari wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.