Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Excellent :D

I wouldn't say they've "acknowledged" the issues until there's some sort of official announcement and resolution, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. I feel a lot more confident about keeping the order open.

For the first time I can think of, I'm happy about a slow despatch :p

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
..........right, maybe compared to all of the touch units they every plan on selling, but from posters on this board it seemed greater than, say, 80% (although those with defective ipods are probably more likely to post).

Hopefully the rumor that Costco (or at least one Costco) will have them tomorrow is true, but considering no stores other than Best Buy and Apple have gotten them in, I'm not very optomistic.

On the other hand, I had a weekly meeting, and during it thought that this time next week, I'd probably have one in my pocket.:) (not really one for smiley faces, but keeping in the spirit on the top of this thread!)

Added: The article seemed to suggest that it was a hardware, not gamma shift, issue as there were a number of defective units. The software should all be the same, and one would have expected that if that was the issue, Apple would have fixed it already (they must have known about this issue since the first rumors of it came out.

sure but to tell you the truth, if i got mine and it was perfectly fine, I would probably not be posting or even coming to this forum right now..so WAY more people post about ipods with issues than those who dont have any issues..

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
sure but to tell you the truth, if i got mine and it was perfectly fine, I would probably not be posting or even coming to this forum right now..so WAY more people post about ipods with issues than those who dont have any issues..

But MacRumors regulars who buy the iPod touch will probably post either way. So if out of all the people here to do get them, what percent is bad? It should still be a sample population to draw some stats from. If 100 mac forum posters buy the device, and 80 report a problem, there's little chance that we just so happened to buy the lemons. More than likely, the 80% (or whatever) rate can be generalized out, since we buy the same devices as the "non forum" people.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1710; en; U; ssr))

I have a "good" one, and I post here, what's that say about me?

I'm glad they said something, I just want them to fix it so we can stop starting 25 threads a day about the damn screen issue!

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I'm return this one to BB this weekend anyway, I can always get a new one later. Not interested to exchange it at apple store, last time did exchange, the guy just run in and out of their storage, holding one without box, didn't even know if its a refurb unit.

Unless someone can tell me that I will be offerred a new box :D

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm return this one to BB this weekend anyway, I can always get a new one later. Not interested to exchange it at apple store, last time did exchange, the guy just run in and out of their storage, holding one without box, didn't even know if its a refurb unit.

Unless someone can tell me that I will be offerred a new box :D

I made the same exact decision with my Best Buy unit. Because if Apple gives you a replacement unit with a different serial, you're screwed if you want to return it to Best Buy (they checked the serial number of the unit against the box label when I returned mine.) Better to just return, and let them work it out first.

I actually just pre-ordered one from Target (better price), which won't ship for a couple of weeks so should be enough time for the problem to be solved. And if its still not, I won't open the unit until the issue is solved.

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1710; en; U; ssr))

I have a "good" one, and I post here, what's that say about me?

Good for you!

I'm assuming from the lack of posts that no one has found an ipod touch in new retail stores yet? Too bad.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Addressing iPod Touch Screen Issue

Walt Mossberg reviewed the iPod touch and notes that its battery life falls short of the other iPods.

He also describes the screen issue that has affected "a small number of" iPod touch screens, and notes that Apple is addressing it:
Also, some early iPod Touch units have had defective screens, where images appeared too dark. Apple says this problem affected a small number of units and is being remedied. My two test units displayed beautiful images.
There's been no indication how many units have been affected, but an informal poll showed it affected 30% of iPod touch respondants. This is likely an overestimate as affected owners are more likely to seek out these forums/polls.

Article Link

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
30% sounds painful if true.

It appears to be a widespread problem given what I've seen. I'll stalk the outlet store online for refurbished iPods.

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005

Attachments

• iphonescreenproblem.JPG
    iphonescreenproblem.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 158

dengar169

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
what about the other peeps?

how about us ipod classic users? are our syncing issues being loooked at? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.