Apple adds ATI Radeon X850 XT to G5 BTO option

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amac4me, Jun 28, 2005.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

x850 Now Offered by Apple

I read on MacNN that the ATI x850 is now a BTO option from Apple. Anyone know what the difference is between this card and the x800?

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I just got my Power Mac, but I may just have to get one of those. Hopefully, they either become available on eBay or for individual sale on the Internet. I would much rather have a top of the line ATI card than a Nvidia.

Edit: Are the ones on eBay for Mac or PC. They seem to be the same thing, but you never know...

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It has a faster core clock, a faster memory clock... and one BIG heatsink and fan compared to the x800xt, atleast in the PC world.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If it doesn't say, you can assume it is for the PC. PC and Mac video cards are not compatible.

5. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

If you do end up doing that, would you please contact me if you're interested in selling your 9600? :)

6. phanofwclark macrumors newbie

weirdness...

ATI doesn't have the X850 listed on their mac video card list. They only have the X800. At least Apple updated their page for the Graphics subdivision of the PM G5

7. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

That's probably because it was announced today.

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I definitely will. I just need to get some money to buy the new card, as I don't have any, after that Power Mac.

9. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

Haha, I hear yah, that's a great machine you got there. I have the Single 1.6 RevA, not nearly as powerful I suppose, but I love it to pieces.

10. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

reasonable price

The price of the X850XT is $400 on the BTO option and it seems very reasonable. The X800XT Mac edition, which is slower (according to some previous posts in this thread) costs around $400 across several retailers. :eek:

11. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

This is great news...... :D :D

Well priced and a good card... :rolleyes: But it does not list as having GDDR 3 :confused: :confused:

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Also of note, this card has both a DVI port and an ADC port. So it seems Apple is not abandoning ADC after all. I wonder what prompted this move.

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

The Tablet PC is gunna sync through it :D

Aww.. here's me wishing.

Perhaps its for backwards compatibility. I really want one of these babies :p although as I'm saving up for an iBook (yes, Apple, an iBook, you know... one of your laptops which is aimed at the education market, yet you wont have ready for the education market as they are buying NOW, yes apple.. yes... im not insane... iBOOK).

Waiting patiently for Barefeats to publish benchmarks on one of these... the X800 beat the 6800, didn't it? So now lets see if the 850 can beat it again, hands down!