Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Who is Dr Dre?

I'm serious. Is he a rapper or something? I don't understand. No, I haven't been living under a rock. But is he an entertainer or something? If they wanted star power, I would have picked someone with a little more recognizability. Those of us over 40 might have a difficult time recognizing these strange names that mean nothing.

He's a prominent cardiologist from the LA area who gained notoriety when he won the noble prize in biology for his work on the artificial aorta.

Nah just kidding, he's a rapper. People forgot about him in the early 2000s, but they don't anymore.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
I could see the supposed iWatch being released under the Beats branding. It would fit in with the demographic and likely pricing of any watch. All the Beats 'phones I see around London are on the "bright young things", and there are lots of them.
If you are my age+ (40) then I suspect that, like Beats 'phones, the watch will not be aimed at you.
But I am often wrong. :p

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
A Green tint, Red tint, Blue Tint, Greys not blacks may be one individuals strange preference, but a green tinted screen would be inaccurate, and you could never call it the best screen.

Yes, but it might just end up being the best selling screen, if that's what a good-sized portion of the population wants.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I own a pair of the Lady Gaga Heartbeats. I got them as a gift a year or two ago and I enjoy them. I also think they look neat, I think my Apple earbuds might sound slightly better but I'm by no means an audiophile. To each his or her own.

joetwizzy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
I think you would find a GOOD amp would not.

The Yamaha RX-A3030, one of the highest rated amps of the year has.
Every good DJ in the world will be adjusting sounds.

Although in principle what you're saying sounds correct it just isn't in practice.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Who is Dr Dre?

I'm serious. Is he a rapper or something? I don't understand. No, I haven't been living under a rock. But is he an entertainer or something? If they wanted star power, I would have picked someone with a little more recognizability. Those of us over 40 might have a difficult time recognizing these strange names that mean nothing.

Don't feel bad. I'm mid 20s and all I can tell you is he is some old rapper.

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
There is no arguing that I like more bass or I like more treble, as their would be in saying I like my images on screen more green or more red.

Liking that is liking an incorrect poorer item.

Likewise, it I was reading a book to you, my task it to perfectly duplicate the original, I don't change some words, and you say, well I think the way you change words is best. It's not best, it's incorrect.

If you wish to use electronics to tone your sound or tone your screen colour, then it's up to you, but you are, by doing that making the sound, or image less accurate and worse, more incorrect that it otherwise should be.

So no. Best, in this instance is the item that most accurately replicates the original signal as that is the fundamental function of this device.

Except you take perception out of the equation here. What if the neuronal structures in the temporal lobe and/or the auditory structures (like hair cells in the cochlea) are hard wired in an individual to need to hear more bass or more treble than you?

There is no correct or incorrect stimuli when you are talking about the world of sensation and perception, and that, my friend, is all this is. How a person chooses to receive a stimuli (e.g. the type of headphone) might mean that their listening through Beats and your listening through... whatever... produces the exact same neurological response within the brain.

Essentially, perhaps someone needs to set the iTunes EQ to 'Rock' to have the same acoustic experience as you do with 'Flat'.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

Although in principle what you're saying sounds correct it just isn't in practice.

That's a "home cinema amp" :D

I do agree, that someone might light HEAVY BASS.

However there is no getting away from the fact that doing so is altering the original sound, so it's is less accurate.

It's not a case of what you like.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
No No No.

I always argue the concept of best, as one persons best is not another persons best.

But when it comes to something visual or audible, then I am happy to say their is most certainly a BEST.

The task of a screen or a speaker is to as accurately as possible replicate the original signal. That "IS" best.

There is no arguing that I like more bass or I like more treble, as their would be in saying I like my images on screen more green or more red.

Liking that is liking an incorrect poorer item.

Likewise, it I was reading a book to you, my task it to perfectly duplicate the original, I don't change some words, and you say, well I think the way you change words is best. It's not best, it's incorrect.

If you wish to use electronics to tone your sound or tone your screen colour, then it's up to you, but you are, by doing that making the sound, or image less accurate and worse, more incorrect that it otherwise should be.

So no. Best, in this instance is the item that most accurately replicates the original signal as that is the fundamental function of this device.
Anyone who has just a tiny bit of knowledge about acoustics knows that the whole idea of "perfect sound replication" is very dubious. Most of the audio data out there is optimised to be listened over speakers, say two stereo speakers, 1 meter apart from each over on ear level from a distance of say two meters. So any listener who is serious about "accuracy" should ONLY listen to music in a scenario like that, with the most linear speakers possible, in an anechoic chamber at fairly high volume and always the exact same volume.

Then there are headphones. I love headphones, but applying your idea of a good speaker, headphones are possibly the worst way to consume music ever. Your left ear doesn't hear what your right ear hears, it's completely unnatural. There is no stereo effect, no real spatiality (except maybe accidental spatiality), the higher frequencies are (because the headphone is sitting right on your ears, it's complicated to explain) way too prominent etc etc. All these effects need to be corrected and guess what, there is absolutely no objective way to do that. Some people don't care about some of these effects, some people get head aches from them. Also the way you hear frequencies changes with volume. The higher the volume, the louder the high and low end of the spectrum gets, so naturally you'll want to turn up the bass and treble if you're listening at a lower volume than usual.

And there's your room! If you have any naked walls in your room, that's it. No chance to ever hear accurately reproduced sound. There will be resonances in your room, interference and all kinds of other stuff. The acoustics of a small room are extremely complicated, they are absolutely impossible to objectively correct.

The point is: We have just two ears and wave fields are very complex. That means that there are countless ways to listen to stuff. Even turning your head is enough to change everything. It just makes no sense to define some kind of ideal in this case.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Except you take perception out of the equation here. What if the neuronal structures in the temporal lobe and/or the auditory structures (like hair cells in the cochlea) are hard wired in an individual to need to hear more bass or more treble than you?

There is no correct or incorrect stimuli when you are talking about the world of sensation and perception, and that, my friend, is all this is. How a person chooses to receive a stimuli (e.g. the type of headphone) might mean that their listening through Beats and your listening through... whatever... produces the exact same neurological response within the brain.

Essentially, perhaps someone needs to set the iTunes EQ to 'Rock' to have the same acoustic experience as you do with 'Flat'.

Someone give this person a prize. Can we all stop arguing about personal preference now?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I don't care much about the acquisition of beats, but seeing Apple themselves advertising beats accessories as "great sound" feels kind of painful. I don't know what it is.

Perhaps the fact that every beats product is like a less expensive, yet somehow higher quality, product, but with a bass-heavy EQ that can't be turned off.

----------

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (AMAZON)
Best bang for your buck on headphones.

2.5mm stereo plug. . . Oh god why.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

That's a amp for a home surround system using speakers.

Seriously you have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you even know what a headphone amp is???

Sorry but I really laughed at a DJ that would turn up with a Yamaha RX-A3030 ha ha ha.

joetwizzy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
Perhaps the fact that every beats product is like a less expensive, yet somehow higher quality, product, but with a bass-heavy EQ that can't be turned off.

----------

I remember apple doing something just as annoying with the first iPhone. Did my tits in.

joetwizzy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
That's a amp for a home surround system using speakers.

Seriously you have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you even know what a headphone amp is???

Sorry but I really laughed at a DJ that would turn up with a Yamaha RX-A3030 ha ha ha.

What? I think you miss understood, perhaps purposely?.
Yes it is a home cinema amp for speakers, but if the ultimate goal is not needing adjustments then why do they have them.
The DJ was just another example.
If what he was saying was true then DJs wouldn't touch the sound they would just press play. And home cinemas Amps would be just as good at cinema as classic and wouldn't have adjustments on them.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Odd to see some shock on here as to why Apple is promoting Beats more now on their pages.

Apple could have bought the "best" headphone maker but then they'd be trying to sell expensive headphones. Beats already has mass appeal. maybe not YOUR appeal but a Mass Audience.

I see Beats almost like Samsung. the same PAID-celebrity push. Maybe had Apple NOT bought them, Samsung would have.

Anyway, Beats was already in connection with Apple for some things (Iovine ?)

And yet another thing...Apple already doesn't have the BEST headphones. they have decent cheap headphones and decent expensive headphones.

***I have never listened to a pair of Beats headphones. My cube mate has a pair and loves them. I thought about buying a pair of decent headphones for less than $100 last year but got a new iPhone that came with the Ear Pods and like their sound better than the old Apple headphones (Earbuds ?) so I am contempt. most of the music i listen to is either MP3 or compressed/streaming anyway. and I use it to drown out office chatter.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Does both 3.5 and 2.5 if you bothered reading.

Only the connector going into the headphones is 2.5

----------

Yes it is a home cinema amp for speakers, but if the ultimate goal is not needing adjustments then why do they have them.
If what he was saying was true then DJs wouldn't touch the sound they would just press play. And home cinemas Amps would be just as good at cinema as classic and wouldn't have adjustments on them.

No. I understand just fine. I own plenty of headphone amps, so the idea of using a iceman amp is really funny.... Really it is.

Let me ask you a question that might help you understand the difference between a headphone amp and a home cinema amp.

How many speakers does a headphone have??

joetwizzy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
No. I understand just fine. I own plenty of headphone amps, so the idea of using a iceman amp is really funny.... Really it is.

Let me ask you a question that might help you understand the difference between a headphone amp and a home cinema amp.

How many speakers does a headphone have??

No you don't, you've done it again, you've either not read or misunderstood. I never once, ever, mentioned a headphone amp. I don't care what type of amp, it doesn't change my point.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
No you don't, you've done it again, you've either not read or misunderstood. I never once, ever, mentioned a headphone amp. I don't care what type of amp, it doesn't change my point.

Fair enough . I may have it wrong.

So what is your point ? How is a cinema amp relevant ?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

Since when has a DJ been interested in Proper Audio Quality! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.