Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I hope they remember to test the cases for compatibility with the camera flash. I've had to ditch a couple of cases for older iPhones in the past because when I tried to use the camera flash, the case amplified the flash and caused the photo to be a white blurry mess. I've stuck to black iPhone cases since then. Boring for me. But they work with the flash fine.

Me too. Some of these lower quality cases I have seen were done without any optical review of the case. I've even seen cases with a reflective surface reflect light into the camera lens leading to a lot of optical noise.

Never underestimate how cheap some of these case manufactures can be knocking off a product without any experienced engineering in their development loop. Some are using engineering undergraduates that have yet to finish their degree.

Reactions: 5105973

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Is it just me, or does the aperture in the iPhone 6 picture with the yellow/red case look bigger and the true-tone flash more colorful? Maybe it's an iPhone 6s?

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
Who in their right mind sells cases that don't actually properly fit the product?

Lifeproof.
Or, any cheap eBay/Amazon case. It costs them .5 cents to make the case, they'll sell it for a dollar. In the end, people know their buying crap but don't care because it only cost a dollar.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Lifeproof.
Or, any cheap eBay/Amazon case. It costs them .5 cents to make the case, they'll sell it for a dollar. In the end, people know their buying crap but don't care because it only cost a dollar.

The $50 iphone cases people buy also cost pennies to make.

Reactions: H2SO4

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
The $50 iphone cases people buy also cost pennies to make.

You are talking materials and perhaps manufacturing labor. A good product has a lot more going into it before the first production mold is injected. Product research, industrial design, engineering and prototyping. That is just production not to mention promotion and signing deals with distribution channels. Then there is investor relations!

Add all that up and when you amortize it across the first production run, it is a lot more than a "few pennies a unit." These cheap cases have very little of that and, worst, copied someone's design without a full understanding nor appreciation of the development cycles.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
What does it mean to be a perfect match? Some people want drop protection, some a stand, some a folio. They should rate the cases on basic function.

Many cases make the iPad as bulky as a laptop, like the one in the pic, defeating the purpose of such a svelte profile. I used to have a Sony reader that had a case mount built into the chassis. You could get a case to cover front and back that added almost nothing to the dimensions of the device and no risk of it falling out when holding by the cover. It would be cool if Apple created something similar that they and third parties could leverage. Heck, they could make one side with a groove similar to the watch's band mount.

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
This is good to information to know, but I still only trust Apple cases to protect my devices.
Me as well, but I wish they had a quality program for their own cases. The smart case from the iPad 2 and newer only last about 6 months of daily use before the seams delaminates and you have to purchase a replacement. The smart case for my original 2010 iPad is well worn but still functioning and seams intact. Even when bought with the iPad and purchased with Apple Care the cases are not replaced by Apple Stores while warrantee still in effect. I've been tempted to go to a local cobbler and see if he can re-secure the seams.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I would have felt better if Apple enabled third party products to include a rubber cover from the prodcuct to cover up the port when not in use. (eg dirt, etc.) like others do..

Apple does this is their plastic caps when you buy MegaSafe adapters.. (always amazes why why u just can't buy these caps separately, if u loose it) proves that Apple takes this seriously by using a cover..... so why can't third party products do the same ?

As i said before... Apple works in mysterious ways.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I find it hard to believe this as a guarantor of quality after the Lightning debacle - where the MFI programme was designed in such a cackhanded way that in order to meet the Apple guidelines for case designs you *had to* make the device unable to be used in a MFI compliant dock design. And manufacturers of docks screamed at Apple how much of a problem this was and they didn't fix it for years.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
This is rather pointless? Who in their right mind sells cases that don't actually properly fit the product?

In other news... My Apple Leather case in blue for my iPhone 6 Plus has been holding up quite terribly these last few months.

Otterbox does.

My 4S has been in a case for over 2 years and the inside plastic edges of the Otterbox case have made a mark on the glass front and back on the top, which can't be fixed.
The outer rubber cover doesn't hold up to daily use and the rubber is to thick.
My girlfriend has a copycat Otterbox which has held up much better and whoever made that one analyzed the Otterbox well enough to make changes which made it better.

Haven't bothered to contact Otterbox, because I expect the typical out of warranty response.

If Apple certify these I hop they test long term and even take responsibility if due to their recommendation/approval an iPhone gets ruined.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
In other news... My Apple Leather case in blue for my iPhone 6 Plus has been holding up quite terribly these last few months.
I was going to say, my slim Apple case for my iPhone 6 is barely hanging in there, as all of the rubber backing is now flaking off.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
This would be great if it gets covered under Apple Care like they do with any accessory you buy with the product.

Gumdrop

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
This is ridiculous! Customers looking for extreme protection can't shop Apple since they refuse to carry the most rugged cases from Otterbox, Griffin, or Gumdrop Cases. (Note. I am the CEO of Gumdrop Cases). We go to much greater lengths to test the protection of our cases. The trade-off with rugged is that it adds bulk which might be perceived to detract from the slim profile of the hardware itself.

Apple's biggest deployments are in the K-12 system with 10,000, 20,000 or even 30,000 cases being deployed at one time. I can promise you that these schools don't consider anyone on Apple's list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.