Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I really hope that this channel will make it easy to watch the Red Bull Air Race series, which is finally starting up again after taking 2011-2013 off to reorganize. I downloaded the iOS app, so far I can't find anything on the app about the series.

Before the Red Bull Air Races were aired on the Fox Regional Networks, as a shortened broadcast that aired about 2 months after the actual race. I would up illegally downloading the Australian broadcast so it wouldn't be spoiled by the internet.

http://www.redbullairrace.com/

Of course, the possiblility of some F1 content also exists, we will see as NBC Sports is the current US provider.

Crossing my fingers that this channel will be useful to me.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Ugh!! More Crap!!

The responses in this thread are so typical.

For years people complained how little content Apple TV had. And berated apple for under using it.

Now these same people are complaining that apple is adding content.

Make up your minds

No complaints would be made if Apple would add content that had meaningful sustenance to it.

:D :D :D :D

Pair

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Its not about beating the TV license. It's about not requiring it. Not everyone wants or needs live broadcast TV.

Yea I know about sky, I wrote to tim cook about it.

I don't think you would require it, simply because you own a device that is capable of live streaming. Otherwise all computer owners would be under the same rule too - live streaming is available on the iPlayer site as well as such services as TVcatchup.com
This reflects the outdated rules of the policy, which have not yet accommodated changing technologies - it currently relies on honesty from anyone watching live streaming services, or TV License authorities to accuse and prove such activities are occurring.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
If only HBO Go would work for Charter Communications customers now than I would be happy with my Apple TV device or Netflix would stop buffering and snap back to SD. Please Apple add more channels I happy for all of this but would love if I could be able to access them without going through my ****** cable company.:confused::(

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
An Olympics channel would be great. But I am sure both you guys know this... Olympics... not a choice Apple can make. That's up to the networks. They want you watching their channels because they want your eyes on the advertising.
Which is why I specified an NBC Olympics app. NBC has the contract for the Olympics broadcast and you will have to watch it through them. I would just like to see them provide an app (probably temporary) that you could access their Olympics broadcast through.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
The Canadian rule of thumb:

For every 15 channels added to the US Apple TV, add 1 channel to the Canadian Apple TV, and remove two thirds of it's content.

So much potential for this damn Apple TV. I want to see a NFL app, an MLB app, and NBA app, etc. Each with a simple subscription service. I can dream...

If you're in Canada, (or elsewhere for that matter, you can access US content by using Blockless - Ive been using this to view US Netflix and it works great. This weekend I will use it to Watch US TV Online and watch the SuperBowl !!! Screw Rogers/Bell etc!
here's the link if you'd like to check it out: Blockless

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I don't think you would require it, simply because you own a device that is capable of live streaming. Otherwise all computer owners would be under the same rule too - live streaming is available on the iPlayer site as well as such services as TVcatchup.com
This reflects the outdated rules of the policy, which have not yet accommodated changing technologies - it currently relies on honesty from anyone watching live streaming services, or TV License authorities to accuse and prove such activities are occurring.

The trouble is a tv inspector can call up the Apple TV and see the ability to view live tv. That's all that's needed to prove TV license evasion. As soon as they get a picture of a live stream your breaking the law.

Where they may fall down is the same way they do with computers. It's not a designed for viewing TV so they can't come in an inspect it like they can a TV, plus you need to give them your password which you wouldn't right, BUT the Apple TV is called a tv so they maybe able to explore it.

Its a bit crap that apple has forced this on users. A download option would be better because then an owner could prove to a judge that they never downloaded live streaming apps that break the law.

At the moment it appears apple are giving users no choice but to buy a £149(?) TV license just to continue to view legally catch up TV and rentals via iTunes Netflix YouTube vimeo on an Apple TV.

It's how I view. And I won't be buying a TV license so it looks like I'll be looking else where for catch up TV viewing and apple looses a customer.

It just doesn't fit my lifestyle. I rent and I watch catch up. No license needed

Ps.. You don't have to let them in or talk to them. You don't even have to inform them that you don't need a license. Just ignore them. Its legal.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
The trouble is a tv inspector can call up the Apple TV and see the ability to view live tv. That's all that's needed to prove TV license evasion. As soon as they get a picture of a live stream your breaking the law.

Where they may fall down is the same way they do with computers. It's not a designed for viewing TV so they can't come in an inspect it like they can a TV, plus you need to give them your password which you wouldn't right, BUT the Apple TV is called a tv so they maybe able to explore it.

Its a bit crap that apple has forced this on users. A download option would be better because then an owner could prove to a judge that they never downloaded live streaming apps that break the law.

At the moment it appears apple are giving users no choice but to buy a £149(?) TV license just to continue to view legally catch up TV and rentals via iTunes Netflix YouTube vimeo on an Apple TV.

It's how I view. And I won't be buying a TV license so it looks like I'll be looking else where for catch up TV viewing and apple looses a customer.

It just doesn't fit my lifestyle. I rent and I watch catch up. No license needed

Ps.. You don't have to let them in or talk to them. You don't even have to inform them that you don't need a license. Just ignore them. Its legal.

You realize you can use the parental controls to hide Apple TV channels right?

So a tv inspector won't be able to see it.

Problem solved.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

Problem solved.

Yea I realise , but he could argue its like turning the channel on off. I wouldn't want to test it in court, the fine is huge. It's like when a TV is detuned but still attached to an aerial. A simple tune of a button shows its capable of receiving live broadcasts and your done. To be legal it must be totally and completely incapable of showing a live broadcast.

Edit - as soon as a inspector gets a live broadcast your breaking the law. They will try everything they can to get a picture. And it doesn't have to be clear. In the old analogue days a snowy can't really see much no one would ever watch such a crap reception was enough to drag you to court.

Last edited:

Kidman13

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006

Problem solved.

Whoa, I didn't know this was possible! And given all the complaints in this thread, a lot of people don't know either.

Apple TV > Settings > Restrictions

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
You know what would help AppleTV sales....

Some Freaking INTERNATIONAL content.

Or just a Channel Store and API. All the content I want is on the iPad getting to the TV without turning the iPad on would be nice.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
You know what would help AppleTV sales....

Some Freaking INTERNATIONAL content.

Or just a Channel Store and API. All the content I want is on the iPad getting to the TV without turning the iPad on would be nice.

It is not Apple that is preventing this. It's the content providers/owners that are.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Great now everyone in the uk needs a TV license to own an Apple TV. *thumbs down*

* live TV broadcasts require a TV license. Catch up TV doesnt. For those that cut the cord to the bbc license the Apple TV now makes them illegal and open to heavy fines. Way to go team apple :(

That's what the UK gets for having a TV license. Then again, without it, the BBC wouldn't exist, so......

----------

Which is why I specified an NBC Olympics app. NBC has the contract for the Olympics broadcast and you will have to watch it through them. I would just like to see them provide an app (probably temporary) that you could access their Olympics broadcast through.

This is a great idea that I thought of too. An app that would let you watch replays of Olympic events and Olympic events live as they happen like they did with London 2012 and the NBC Olympics iOS app. However, since NBC is owned by Comcast (a cable company!), this is unlikely. And IIRC, you needed a cable subscription to get the live as well as replays on the app. Lame.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I've restricted my ATV to Basement duty for movies on my PJ, ever since they screwed up the tv UI so that seasons are all listed separately I've used Plex, it's gonna take a lot for me to go back

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I really hope that this channel will make it easy to watch the Red Bull Air Race series, which is finally starting up again after taking 2011-2013 off to reorganize. I downloaded the iOS app, so far I can't find anything on the app about the series.

Before the Red Bull Air Races were aired on the Fox Regional Networks, as a shortened broadcast that aired about 2 months after the actual race. I would up illegally downloading the Australian broadcast so it wouldn't be spoiled by the internet.

http://www.redbullairrace.com/

Of course, the possiblility of some F1 content also exists, we will see as NBC Sports is the current US provider.

Crossing my fingers that this channel will be useful to me.

I just looked at the iOS app on my iPad and there are three Red Bull Air Races scheduled under the 'live events' category. The first one is March 1, I believe.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
That's what the UK gets for having a TV license. Then again, without it, the BBC wouldn't exist, so......

----------

That would be no loss.

Without the license they'd have to move to a subscription model? They won't because this would show the world how much they aren't wanted in the uk.

For the amount of good tv they produce rather than pay the £149 a year its cheaper to rent the shows you like or buy on DVD.

They know this and it's why they fight teeth and nail to force people to buy the license.

Essex711

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
NY
How about we get to choose which channels to add...you know...like a channel store.

What's so hard about this Apple?:mad:

I don't want these channels...I want Netflix, The Blaze, Amazon.com, and maybe a few others...thats it. Let people develop for this already.

I hope the WWE Network is a glowing success. I don't watch it anymore, but at least they are doing the right thing.

Well, no offense, but I want this. I enjoy action sports. You may not, but we are all different. Perhaps stop whining and do something about it instead. :D

----------

It has already been reported that there's a new Apple TV in the works. I'm placing my bets on this summer.

I'll bet you a sack of potatoes it comes this fall.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
The responses in this thread are so typical.

For years people complained how little content Apple TV had. And berated apple for under using it.

Now these same people are complaining that apple is adding content.

Make up your minds

I agree new contents are always good, a lot of friends are using the new channels. Sure I agree we should be able to choose channels or move and hide at least, but c'mon it will come for sure. AppleTV has been an "hobby" until now. And btw I like the interface but I'm using remote app.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Anyone have any experience with Red Bull TV? I assume there is no worthwhile content unless you are a teenage boy, but maybe I am wrong.

Regardless of age, if you are into 'extreme sports' Red Bull TV is awesome.
Red Bull's role in driving and helping many of these new sports is admirable — it's marketing — but it's good marketing.

I welcome Red Bull TV on my Apple TV.
And, I'm not a teenager. Not even close. Far from it, actually. : )

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I just looked at the iOS app on my iPad and there are three Red Bull Air Races scheduled under the 'live events' category. The first one is March 1, I believe.

Thanks. I wrote that before I was able to get home and check. It is listed under the world series coverage as well, vs motorsports.

Oddly, I couldn't find any of the videos or other items on the iOS app.

FYI, for those who are also reading this and are interested in the Air Races, I found out that Fox sports signed a three year exclusive arrangement. The races will air on Fox Sports 1 (Use to be the speed channel) and Fox Sports 2. The last time they ran the races, they aired months after the actual event, I am hopeful that the coverage will improve this time.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
No Coca Cola Channel?
Seriously, who the hell watches RedBull TV?

We need an app store!

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
I watched the entire 2 hours of the UCI Moutain Bike World Championship last night on this channel.. I was glued the entire time. Thumbs up!

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
An Olympics channel would be great. But I am sure both you guys know this... Olympics... not a choice Apple can make. That's up to the networks. They want you watching their channels because they want your eyes on the advertising.

I would have no problem with NBC, for example, streaming ads with their channel. Or even offering it via subscription.

Note that for the 2012 Olympics, the iOS app allowed live viewing of pretty much every event, with only a 30-second ad at the start of any given feed. Gives you a remarkable sense of how much editing is done for the main channels, by the way, as you see all of the lulls between individual heats, et. al, of events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.