Apple Adds Shared Photo Streams and VIP Mail to iPhone 3GS with iOS 6 Beta 3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last month, we highlighted a number of device restrictions regarding Apple's high-profile features for iOS 6, noting that many of them would not be compatible with the iPhone 3GS while smaller subsets would not be supported on the iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

[​IMG]

But with yesterday's release of iOS 6 Beta 3 for developers, Apple has improved feature support for the iPhone 3GS, adding shared Photo Streams and VIP mail filtering. The change was noticed by a number of iPhone 3GS users, and Apple has confirmed the removal of those restrictions on its iOS 6 preview page.

While the iOS 6 preview page previously contained eight footnotes outlining various restrictions on features, that number has been reduced to six following the release of iOS 6 Beta 3. The two removed footnotes include:
    The fact that iOS 6 is compatible with the iPhone 3GS at all marks a significant step for Apple, as the device was also the minimum requirement for iOS 5 released last year. But with Apple still selling the three year-old device, the company apparently felt that it needed to bring many of the new features of iOS 6 to the iPhone 3GS and is still working to add as many as it can within the constraints of the older hardware's capabilities.

Article Link: Apple Adds Shared Photo Streams and VIP Mail to iPhone 3GS with iOS 6 Beta 3

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors newbie

iPod Touch

I can confirm shared photostreams works on the 4th generation iPod Touch. :)

5. nfl46, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

macrumors 603

nfl46

6. macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

What about the 1st gen iPod-my 5gb iPod gets no love:p

7. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

iOS 6 compatible with iPhone 3Gs.
    iCloud incompatible with Snow Leopard.

Nothing to say. :D

8. macrumors member

How well is it going to run on the 3gs? I've noticed the 5 isn't near as quick on my 3gs as on my girlfriend's 4.

9. macrumors 6502a

Baklava

It'll be slow I think, but someone who tested it should confirm that.

10. macrumors 6502a

The 1st gen. iPad really should never have been released with 256MB RAM. I still have mine and it runs like complete garbage with iOS 5, let alone iOS 6.

11. macrumors member

AntJon82

smh

whats the point of suporting the 3GS the tech is super old

12. macrumors 68040

:confused: Last I checked manufacturers were free to use pretty much any Android version they wish. So that should really be 'Take Note Android Handset Manufacturers'.

Besides, Apple isn't exactly the best at supporting older devices. They discontinued the iPod Touch 2nd gen and then gave it its last supported update a day later. Completely horrible way to treat customers.

13. macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

14. macrumors 68000

ghostface147

Apparently nothing.

15. macrumors member

Yeah that's my guess as well. Hoping to upgrade to the new iPhone, so the 3gs will just be a glorified iPod Touch from here on out.

16. macrumors 68040

How exactly is it 'super old' when its still being sold by apple as new?! Just because it has a less powerful processor it does not make it a 'super old' technology.

The 3G is actually faster than the iPhone 4 in many cases as it doesn't have to push as many pixels.

17. macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

This is good news! I just purchased an iPhone 3GS from ATT&T for $1!

Coming from a BlackBerry Bold 9780, this is a huge upgrade, even if it is a 3 year old device.

18. macrumors member

Now if they can only pull the stick out of their butts and support iCloud in Snow Leopard!

19. Rocketman, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

macrumors 603

Rocketman

Massive adoption, much of which is hand down to kids. The parents want their kids to have as good of support as practical.

By Apple not forsaking older hardware on phones like it does on its other product lines, it takes pressure off production limitations it still experiences and has a low price point partially crippled product which is Apple's forte.

I suspect if the iPhone 5 is both better and cheaper to make, which it very well may be, they might actually deprecate the iPhone 3GS. It will be interesting to see the final lifetime figure for this product which has had an exceptional product life cycle starting 19 June 2009.

I hope when they finally discontinue it they also release precise life cycle sales figures.

Rocketman

20. macrumors 603

nfl46

Thanks for the correction. That's what I originally meant, I just didn't say it correct.

21. macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

Really cool, but there's still some stuff between the 4 and 4s that doesn't make sense at all.

22. macrumors 6502

The huge problem with the original iPad and why I was reluctant to buy it, is that it only has 256 MB of RAM. Yet it has a much larger display, making it even more crippled than the 3GS when it comes to memory. It was a mistake on Apple's part in my opinion, especially since the iPhone 4 has 512 MB.

23. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

24. macrumors 6502

As an iPad 1Gen owner I can now finally put the last nail on the iPad coffin for me. That was the first and the last time Apple got 800€ from me for an iPad. There poor support on that premium product, while cheaper hardware gets the same support just because it still is a money maker for them is just ridiculous!

25. macrumors 6502a

if they bother to port the iOS to a device they shouldnt take out features just for fun/to make newer devices more attractive - its probably more work to take out the features than to have the same stuff on all devices....

not talking about features that are not possible because of hardware restrictions of course.