Apple admits Nano screen flaw

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MmmPancakes, Sep 27, 2005.

1. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Apple confirmed the problem exits, saying: "This is a real but minor issue involving a vendor quality problem in a small number of units. Our figures show this issue has affected less than 1/10 of 1 per cent of the total iPod nano units that we've shipped. It is not a design issue."

Affected customers simply need to contact Apple to arrange a free replacement unit.

Finally.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This is not going to go over well with people. Essentially, it's telling them to shove off, it's not our problem. This doesn't get resolved, Apple is in for a class-action lawsuit.

3. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I agree. I love Apple, but the Nano's screen attracts a surreal amount of scratches. For a device thats marketed as a tool to view pictures and album art, this is easily considered a design flaw as it directly interferes with the purpose of the device. It's also pretty ghetto that they started selling the Nano at least 5-6 weeks before protective cases were made available.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you think this statement from Apple is factually incorrect? I have a hard time seeing a lawsuit over cosmetic scratches even getting as far as being granted class-action status.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Especially since, at the time that the nano was released, there were NO screen protection options available. They should have held off on selling the nano until at least one screen protection option was available (and it's worth noting that even the nanotubes do NOT protect the nano's screen).

6. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

These aren't cosmetic scratches, like say, on a 3g 15 gig iPod. If you baby a Nano and wrap it in cellophane, within weeks you will still have a fog of scratches on the screen. It really is that bad.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Well the main point is the scratches are so bad it affects the usability of the LCD screen. The judge will decide if any restitution is in order. :p

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

why should they have? They don't really make any of the protectors so it is not within there responsibility to start shipping things after third party companies create cases for it.

Apple can do what they want with their products.

9. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

"Scratches" isn't the right word for this issue. I would use the word "scuff" to describe the sensitivity of the screens.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehe...fair enough. I don't own one, so I can't say I know to agree or disagree with that. *sigh* :eek: The scratches are really that easy to get, if the iPod Nano is stored and handled in the same way as an iPod 3G or 4G? My 3G is scratched, on the screen, the plastic, and the metal, but not in any way that particularly impairs usability, or even beauty, unless it's viewed in glare light.

11. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Except sell faulty products. If they do, they have to deal with class action lawsuits, like they've done before.

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

If they want to they can. Kinda like everything sony sells is faulty, at least everything i have ever owned from sony has been faulty.

:p

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Note to self: never buy used Sony product from Eva. :eek: ;) :D

14. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Gosh what is it with people and law suits?? I buy a pair of shoes and scuff them in the first week, maybe I should start a civil case over that?

Does it say anywhere the iPod screens are scratch proof? What do you expect from something you put into your pocket?

Get on with life...

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

people are always going to find reasons to complain, at least apple is taking care of the issue at this point in time.

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

reminds me of a commercial i saw while i was in the ER last night.

"hospitals make blunders and you can sue them for it"

WTF? is the entire world sue happy for no reason. If i died in the ER last night i know my family wouldn't sue because they are not money hungry greedy bastards like most of this country is nowadays.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I don't think grieving parents sue primarily for money. They go to court so mistakes like theirs don't happen in the operating room again.

Eva Eva, you have so much to learn.

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

then you take them to court and sue for a thousand dollars just to show them you mean business.

you don't sue them for millions upon millions of dollars, that is just ridiculous.

And if you want to make sure that the mistakes don't happen, open up a criminal case, not a civil one.

If you have a civil case i believe they still are doctors and can still be making mistakes, but if you have a criminal case they could go to jail and no mistakes from that person anymore.

19. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Again, this isn't a matter of "Scratches" like with other iPods. I'm not that picky about scratches on my Ipod. But when the screen becomes completely "scuffed" and unviewable even while taking care of the device, there's a problem. I wouldn't hold Nike accountable if I scuffed my new shoes the first week, but I would hold them accountable if the tread wore completely off the first week.

20. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Hhhmmm this suing thing must be an American thing? It's so ironic on one hand you all sing Apple's praises and comment on how it would be nice for them to accrue a higher percentage of the market, then with the other hand you sue them for inconsequential circumstance.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Did anyone read the article? It has nothing to do with scratches. It's about the few nano's that had faulty screens, which could crack just from sitting in your pocket.

22. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

I think we all agree that suing isn't the optimal solution to the problem of Apple's faulty product line. Ideally, Apple would make the situation right before it came to that.

FYI, You may want to double check your definition of 'ironic'. You're misusing it.

23. lucas macrumors member

Correction: The USA is sue happy for no reason. most other parts of the world are less so

24. MmmPancakes thread starter macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

USA! USA! USA!

25. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

"Happening in the opposite way to what is expected"

FYI. it's ill mannered to publicly correct a person's use of the english language, especially if your not 100% certain of your correction ;)