Apple Admits 'New' Mac Pro Isn't All That New

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amid all the excitement of the notebook updates and OS X Mountain Lion and iOS 6 news yesterday, Apple quietly updated the Mac Pro, but surprisingly continued to use older Westmere processors instead of Intel's latest Sandy Bridge E offerings. The company also decided not to add Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 to what is supposed to be its top-of-the-line professional workstation, leaving customers who had been waiting nearly two years for an update bewildered.

One of the initial tip-offs that Apple had indeed quietly updated the Mac Pro yesterday was the addition of a small "New" tag to the Mac Pro listing on the main page of the Apple online store, a tag that was also added to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro listings due to their updates.

[​IMG]

Apple's Mac lineup on June 11 with "New" tags on MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro
    Apple appears to have had a change of heart today, however, perhaps deciding that the extremely minor update to the Mac Pro may not be worth promoting to a significant degree and removing the "New" label from the high-profile listings of its Mac products in the store.

[​IMG]

Apple's Mac lineup on June 12 with "New" tags only on MacBook Air and MacBook Pro
    Apple is reportedly still investing in its desktop lines, with the company reportedly planning significant enhancements to the iMac and Mac Pro sometime next year.

(Thanks, Perry!)

Article Link: Apple Admits 'New' Mac Pro Isn't All That New

2. Eddyisgreat, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

macrumors 601

Eddyisgreat

They should just change "New" to "Meh" in the same font so the lulz ensue.

Edit: Simplicated brought the lulz below! Excellent!!

Attached Files:

3. macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Haha, can we get the buyers guide clock put back to the 600+ day counter instead of starting over with day 1?

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors 601

Icaras

It still shows Mac Pro on the "New To The Store" sidebar on the right though.

6. macrumors 6502a

jent

What are the criteria for a product to be designated new? If you look at the original iPhone in the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, it looks like they counted the release of the 16GB original iPhone (well after the "true" launch of the 4GB and 8GB models). Does anyone know the criteria?

7. macrumors member

This.

Totally agree.

This is a serious request, since Apple now doesn't recognize it as an update, I don't think MacRumors should either.

Bring back the old 600+ day count.

8. macrumors 6502a

olowott

Bad Apple! Bad Apple!!

Happens once in a while;)

9. macrumors 6502

10. macrumors 68000

I wonder if they were worried about a lawsuit. Misrepresenting using the word 'new'.

11. macrumors member

Sgt. ButtKiss

Sometime next year...

So the iMac with be on a 600-700 day update cycle?? Not to mention the MP coming in over 1000 days?

I honestly don't believe that will be the case. Probably for full redesigns, but simple updates that are more than what the MP experienced yesterday are totally feasible and I would expect Apple to make some kind of desktop release around the end of summer, or possibly near ML. Otherwise they will alienate so many customers who have been waiting on new workstations for both personal and professional use.

Its just bad PR, and regardless whether it will have end effects on profits or not, bad PR makes deeper cuts than short-term margins.

12. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Probably the best update they've done to the Mac Pro listing :D

13. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Rather than reposting what I just posted in the feedback thread on the topic of our Buyer's Guide recommendation, I'll just link to it here to explain why we did (and still do) count this as an update.

14. macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

first sign of tim cook giving the middle finger to his customers. this would not have happened under steve jobs.

15. macrumors 6502

That's silly. Apple has definitely done some annoying things while under Jobs' leadership too.

16. macrumors regular

no way! :rolleyes:

17. macrumors 68030

Man I would be freaking out if I was a pro user and I had been waiting for an update and saw this. No Thunderbolt or even USB 3.0 or even updated vid cards would be a troubling thing when you rely on your workhorse to make money.

18. macrumors regular

Make that *later* next year--even worse. It's too depressing to even think about looking forward to a new one anymore (a real new one, not a pretend one).

19. macrumors 68030

That's a little over the top. Tim has only been in leadership 8 months, the Mac Pro suffered under Steve as well.

20. macrumors 6502

You guys should definitely change it back to 600+ days in the Buyer's Guide. Apple better have something revolutionary planned. The small update makes sense if an incredible update is coming soon! :D

21. macrumors 6502a

Wow, just think these threads can continue for another year and a half. :)

22. macrumors regular

OddyOh

The joke just keeps going. Some moron must be running things over there. Too difficult to hire a guy to manage the Mac Pro line, I guess? :confused:

23. cms2, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

macrumors 6502

cms2

Thanks for linking to your original post. I definitely see the logic of MacRumors' stance.

Hah! Under Jobs, Apple would not have redacted the "new" label.

24. macrumors 68000

Porco

I think they may have got a lot of emails on this subject yesterday... !

25. macrumors member

Priorities change. That happens in tech. Desktops aren't as hot as they used to be. Moreover, desktop-workstations really aren't as hot as they used to be.

Vote with your wallet. You've got something inside of a year left to do it.