Apple, Adobe drifting apart

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pablo, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2003

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Hmmm, self fulfilling prophecy?

Adobe reduces mac support...mac users reduces adobe support?
  3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
  4. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Most graphics professionals use macs, with Adobe products. I can say this from experience. I'm surrounded by graphics pros, and they all use macs with Photoshop, Illustrator, increasing adoption of Indesign, and Acrobat. I think that it would be suicidal for Adobe to start cutting mac support off.
  5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    I see this all the time too...then why the story?
  6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i cant figure it out either... and its not like this story is new... people have been worried/complaining about this for a few years now. i didnt think the gripe was anything new? :eek:
  7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.

Slow news day probably. This all seems like the proverbial dead donkey.
  8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Riiiight. *cough*ColorSync*cough* :rolleyes:
  9. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Aww, they just need to have great sex and make up.
  10. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    apple only stepped on their toes cause they felt they could do it better. same reason apple hasnt made some pro iphoto or something. they know adobe has photoshop in the bag, but preimere and the dvd authoring was sketchy, they created fcp and look at them now, #1 video editing software.

11. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    All I have to say is, I don't think that adobe should burn thier bridges (if you believe the story) when MS wants to eat Acrobat for lunch....
  12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    #1, the story came from c|net, which has produced many anti-Mac culture articles while hailing Apple's products.

Yes, using Windows for publishing doesn't seem as good in reality as it does in print. You can certainly get an inexpensive computer and put various graphics applications on it and it will run, but will it run well and how often will you end up with small difficulties, even if you don't have viruses and crashes?

I found that just scanning newsletters with OmniPage Pro and editing them in Adobe Acrobat on a Win2000/WinXP machine was hazardous to my productivity. For those who actually have smooth sailing, congratulations!

As far as Adobe's lineup goes, does Photoshop Album have a place on a Macintosh? Does the DVD authoring software? What about Premiere Pro? Most everything else is still a good fit, including Photoshop Elements. If Adobe really wanted to say goodbye to the Macintosh market, they would not have produced InDesign for Mac.
  13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Probably because of the number of apps that Adobe has dropped in the last couple of years. It's enough to hit the radar of news sites. Frankly Apple SHOULD be concerned. People keep saying that numbers don't matter and that even though Macs account for less then 3% of the market they still have a high number of users but in the end if it becomes more cost effective to cater to only Windows you can bet your butt that Adobe would drop Apple altogether. More so if Apple continues to alienate their 3rd party developers by releasing competing software. Now take into consideration Palm, Adobe, and the smattering of other 3rd party developers that have dropped or cut back support for Apple in the last year and it becomes a serious concern for them. I think the article had it spot on when it said:

Would Adobe hurt from totally cutting off Apple? Sure but as Apple market share continutes to dwindle (Face facts there is no way Apple, short of cloning again, will ever be able to keep up with the PC world in terms of sales.) and Adobe becomes the even more defacto standard on the PC it will hurt less and less.
    Also keep in mind one point. Some of you have commented that you never see PC's in the graphics pro world. Could this be because Mac users have a tendency to no go beyond their world? I've gone through 6 IT jobs in medium to large companies and I've yet to see a Mac in the graphics/word processing department. Check that. 2 years ago I worked as a temp for a company that had a stand-alone dual G4 tower. The users standard box was a Dell workstation. The G4 was used for special projects. Other then that natta.
  14. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    The interesting thing about sales is *this* my dad has a mac at home but uses a self built PC at work. Now he usually HAS TO rebuild his PC by replacing the MB or CPU/MB every 6 months to one year becuase of failures of the MB, glitches etc (he's used Intel/Tyan/Asus etc) and usually has the local white box shop just build him a new one (which includes of course the complementary windows licence) and this goes for a lot of people in his company, now, he bought his first mac ever about 3 years ago and hasn't bought any more...just becuase he buys 3-4 times as many PC's as macs (3:1 or 4:1), doesn't mean there are potentially 3 or 4 times as many PC users etc. Additionally, when gartner et al. calculate PC sales they are including servers. How many servers are sold that use Photoshop? There are a lot of obfuscating numbers that don't really tell the whole truth...what really matters are the size of YOUR TARGET market, not the overall size, otherwise adobe would be making as much revenue as Microsoft....

PC volume is very high, but its the turnover rate that should be factored in as well, because it can be very telling. a last note, why is it that Sony's prices on average are a lot higher than Apple, yet they sale more?
  15. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    Speaking as a member of the Adobe ASN (Adobe Solutions Network) I find any mention of Adobe abandoning Apple or visa versa kinda ridiculous. Adobe may drop a specific program from the Mac realm only because there may already be a replacement or a redundant app in the market that is being reworked to fit the genre better. We receive a package deal from Adobe for the latest software including Photoshop, Illutrstator, InDesign, Acrobat, Go Live, and others in both PC and Mac format, and having been involved with desktop since '88 and seeing the development of these products, I think I can say (for Joe consumer) that there is no loss between the companies. Adobe CS Premium is one of the most powerful examples of finely orchestrated software for the graphics and commercial printing industry I have ever seen. Adobe produces the top Software for the Industry and Apple produces the top Hardware for the industry. They may be Apples and Oranges but they do go together well in salad.

For more information about Adobe ASN go here:
  16. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    ColorSync indeed. Recently the Mac Lab's Laser printer was out of laser toner so the prof mentioned the laser in the Math/Speech/etc. building. Nothing but Windows. Well, I said to myself. So I opened my pBook and saved all of my psd/ai/indd files as pdf onto the campus provided network share. I opened them on a PC and low and behold my Pantone 668's came out blue. Arrgggg... I then resaved from my pBook as an EPS thinking that would be better. It was, but a little dark. I figured it was a gamma setting so I printed it. The printer then started spewing out pages with all that unicode jibber-jabber, over 10 I'd say at $.50 a sheet. I turned to my fellow viscom buddy and said "yeah, this is why PCs aren't used in the graphics department." Then we left.

I ended up printing on my inkjet in my room. Not too bad, but the prof did give everyone an extension on the projects due to the toner problem.

Also, hasn't anyone used Premiere 6.5 for the Mac who wrote these articles? Very buggy. Couldn't export anything using the QT Export option. And the audio always captured out of sync. So yeah, Adobe could either spent no telling how much time and money fixing a product that they would have to patch for free and compete with Apple, or just drop it altogether. And a DVD builder from Adobe would be worthless since all Macs with a Superdrive come with iDVD and they would compete with Apple with DVD Studio.
  17. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
  18. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002