Apple Adopting Dual Light Bar System for iPad 3 Display?

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 7, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Digitimes reports that Apple is currently evaluating a pair of options for addressing issues with LED backlighting on the iPad 3, noting that the current backlight bar design used in the iPad 2 is insufficient for the higher-resolution display reportedly set to debut in the next-generation tablet.
    Apple is unsurprisingly expected to introduce the iPad 3 early next year, with The Wall Street Journal being the highest-profile publication to confirm that timeline. A higher-resolution "Retina" display is the most widely-claimed enhancement scheduled for the device, although several reports have indicated that Apple's suppliers are struggling to produce the displays in volume.

Article Link: Apple Adopting Dual Light Bar System for iPad 3 Display?

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 6502a

coder12

<sarcasm>
    It's a bar! Apple is putting a bar in the iPad! You can get drinks from your iPad now! </sarcasm>

4. macrumors 6502a

By choosing a display with higher pixel density they need more light to provide the same brightness (you loose about 50% of the light as it passes through all the display elements).

Dual light bar just means there is two strips of LED lights behind the diffuser, filters and LCD.

http://www.plasma.com/classroom/images/What_is_TFT-LCD.jpg

5. macrumors 603

justperry

Actually 2 for the price of 1, Happy hour. :D

6. macrumors regular

Maybe we can find an iPhone 5 or 6 at that bar!

7. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

LED Backlight is the best choice, but I guess it would decrease battery life.
    One bar could cause a faded effect on the opposite end; two bars may help even out the light. I hope they do it right, otherwise the display may not have an evenly bright light.

8. macrumors 6502

9. macrumors regular

Why have two really clever bars in there?

Surely Apple can develop one really, really, really clever bar.

Call it, like "Genius Bar" or something.

No, hang on. Think they've done that one already.

10. macrumors 6502a

igazza

I hope apple can keep the 10 hour battery life.

11. macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A404)

I'd be sort of surprised if apple went with a "retina" display with the iPad 3 considering there still isn't a single viable competitor tablet in the game.

12. macrumors G3

charlituna

or by using 2 bars with a much lower pixel density (including perhaps the same) they might be able to produce an iPad that doesn't go practically black in sunlight and shut up the naysayers over said issue.

Frankly I haven't seen anyone really back up the need for a 300+dpi iPad so I'm thinking that Apple will either keep the same density or perhaps go slightly higher to something in the 1080-1200p range and conquer the outdoor issue first. More brightness, better sensor, perhaps major improvements on that oleo phobic coating with a touch of anti-glare tossed in. Any displays higher than that might be test units for the iPad 4, 5 or even 6. After all they don't design these things overnight.

13. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

See that's the thing it's all conjecture at the moment. There's nothing saying it will be the iPad 3. Apple may purely be sourcing information for the next edition.
    Seems a bit late in the game for drastic design changes if they plan on an early 2012 release.
    Main point is we just won't know till its announced. Sure we can make educated guesses, but that's all they are, guesses.

EDIT: ah Charlituna beat me to the same point I see lol.

14. macrumors regular

rdas7

There's only reason to pursue extra pixel density and increased luminescence in a display, and it's not just because Retina Displays look sharper. If you can drive twice the number of pixels, then you can drive the standard number of pixels PER EYE. Retina Displays are the stepping stone to glasses-free 3D.

15. macrumors 65816

kjs862

just hope the next iPad has a higher resolution display.

16. macrumors 6502a

Android tablets have caught up significantly... but a retina display would put the iPad 3 in the clear lead again.

Now if only the iPad 3 had a card slot or some sort of expansion port ...

17. macrumors 65816

if they can do all this, maintain the same battery life and relatively same design, at the same cost!?!?!

I'm in

18. macrumors 6502a

JD92

I hope they go for a dual bar backlight.

Every time I've seen an iPad I've always thought the backlight looked awfully uneven, bright on one side and dark on the other. Most people don't seem to notice it, or it doesn't bother them, but it's what's stopping me buying one because I know it'd really bug me.

19. macrumors G4

20. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes but a captive touch screen is slightly different.

21. macrumors G4

Samsung has AMOLED capacitive touchscreens.

22. macrumors regular

I think the main point for me though is the user experience. I won't say that a retina screen wouldn't be better, but the reason I bought the iPad is the over all experience and ease of use. if I want to get to something it's no more than a couple of clicks away. Can it be improved? Of course everything always can be. However for me personally it's the operating system that's won me over, same with OSX on the mac.
    I mean look at the origional iphone and 3G/S, still fantastic phones, I just think the retina display has spoilt people, no ones happy now unless it's retina. Where as at the time the 3GS was the best thing since sliced bread.

23. macrumors 65816

You mean the one that cost over $2000 and was discontinued in February of 2010?

24. macrumors regular

A very large number of iPads are ending up in the hands of medical professionals, 300+ dpi would provide a level of resolution exceeding desktop monitors currently being used for diagnostics in medical imaging. There is not only a need but a demand as well. And given the likely price point (same as the current models or less) this would represent a huge win.

25. macrumors G4

Who said OLED screens cannot be high density?

----------

So?