Apple adopting Merom (Core 2 Duo) Processors?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Aug 3, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Appleinsider reports that according to their sources, Apple is expected to quickly adopt Intel's newest line of processors - the mobile Core 2 Duo - which was announced last week.

Apple's current iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac mini use the original Core Duo/Solo chips which were introduced earlier this year. Early unconfirmed rumors hinted that Apple was very interested in getting the Merom chips as early as possible. This rumor indicates that Apple will remain aggressive with their product line upgrades.

The first Core 2 Duo (Merom) benchmarks have already been making the rounds:

Some unconfirmed rumors as well as analyst speculation has hinted at Apple providing an upgrade to at least one of the existing Intel Macs.

2. macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

MBP Merom anyone? Appleinsider has always been reliable...so this may happen. This WWDC is gonna be great!

3. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not a whole lot of new info, but any indication that the move to Merom will be a rapid one is certainly welcomed...

4. macrumors 6502a

darwen

I bet you a Macbook Pro that the Macbook Pro will be the first of these updated computers! ;)

5. macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. macrumors P6

twoodcc

good news, but it seems that it will be later than we were expecting. September?:confused:

7. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The iMac and MacBook Pro, most likely. It would better differentiate the MBP from the MacBook.

8. macrumors 6502a

ImAlwaysRight

Merom in the MBP for sure. Now.

Apple is showing "64-bit" in the one banner.

But don't expect Merom in the MacBook anytime soon.

9. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

The "tests" kind of sucked and wasn't that informative. Didn't tell us a whole lot...but either way I hope they get into the MBPs!!

10. macrumors 68020

poppe

I can live with fast updates!!!! MBP Merom for college after all!!!

11. macrumors 6502

It was probably part of Intel's/Apple's bargaining chip that Apple gets quick shipments of chips I assume. Not priority over Dell, Lenovo, HP, Toshiba but maybe sufficient quantities?

12. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

13. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

mvc

How can this be negative?

Who voted negative????? You want it slower, eh? Give the man a G3! No, a 601!

14. macrumors 68040

Grimace

I think the negative votes were from those who wanted Steve to announce Merom in updated Macs on Monday and not wait until September...

15. macrumors member

IBM apologists....

16. macrumors 68020

poppe

It is sad to have to wait till September... I wanted to show my family my MBP since they've never though of using a Mac until me

17. macrumors member

they are just cycling through old rumors now... only difference, it is so close to wwdc.

18. macrumors regular

19. macrumors 68020

20. macrumors 6502a

Wow! Tip of the hat to Apple and Intel. But why aren't the Blue Man on my TV selling the Core 2 Duo? Somebody tell them to put the LSD away and get to a studio.

And of course, nobody's talking about the elephant in the room. These new chips are SIXTY FOUR BIT BABY. Is 32-bit the new G4? Cuz we all know the G4 is the new G3.

64-bit OSX by the end of the year perhaps? With quadruple binaries to support the G4, the G5, the Core Duo, and the Core Duo 2? Or will Apple deny us our 64-bit freedom?

21. macrumors member

Hopefully prior to Sept 16th so I can get the IPOD deal too.

22. macrumors 68020

Yeah... this seems to favor a Paris release...

23. macrumors P6

twoodcc

i think you might be right (even though i hope your wrong)

24. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

I always expected the four existing lines to go merom. It's pretty much a firmware update away from using existing hardware and the form factors used are more geared towards lower power chips.

25. macrumors member

are people not expecting merom to go immediately into the macbook as well? i don't see a reason for apple to purposely gimp their best-selling notebook when a merom chip is supposed to cost the same as its yonah counterpart.