Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
I hope they don't support cars that old. That's a Microsoft move like supporting Wndows XP decades after it's been released. That kind of support slows down innovation and progress for the sake of a few cheapskates and paranoid organizations afraid to upgrade. If buyers can't get on board with the a new Apple car release every year and buy or lease their own new Apple car every 5-10 years, Apple won't be able to fix the ailing car industry.

This is preposterous. Who is going to buy a car that will only last a couple of years, when there are other options with much greater longevity? Sure, people out there are currently changing cars every few years already, but that's because after the first owner is done with the car, the car is still worth something. What you're proposing is entirely different - that Apple car will be worth $0 instead of some significant percentage of its original value.

Are you seriously thinking that Apple will produce a car that is either 1. significantly cheaper than the competition or 2. have such a competitive advantage that 100% depreciation over a few years is a drop in the bucket?

The iOS model will not work for cars. PERIOD. You're basically saying that if your car's computer dies, you're SOL even though mechanically there is nothing wrong.

ScepticMatt

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
The bottom line is Telsa as a company does not make a profit. True or false?
Both. Look at my page 15 post for a more detailed response, but the gist is they more or less reinvest all their operating cash flow into growth, with a breakeven result (slightly non-GAAP profitable)

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
This is preposterous. Who is going to buy a car that will only last a couple of years, when there are other options with much greater longevity? Sure, people out there are currently changing cars every few years already, but that's because after the first owner is done with the car, the car is still worth something. What you're proposing is entirely different - that Apple car will be worth $0 instead of some significant percentage of its original value.

Are you seriously thinking that Apple will produce a car that is either 1. significantly cheaper than the competition or 2. have such a competitive advantage that 100% depreciation over a few years is a drop in the bucket?

The iOS model will not work for cars. PERIOD. You're basically saying that if your car's computer dies, you're SOL even though mechanically there is nothing wrong.

There's a reason that the car and TV industries don't make real profits. People hold onto their investment too long and they don't value the new products constantly being released enough to spring for the new model. Apple car could address these issues by releasing an affordable car that gets better every year in terms of it's software. The updates would be free but they can only support the built-in hardware for only so long.

Cars will be 60% software and 40% hardware in a few short years. Software updates will only take you so far when the hardware is out of date. Of course the car will still run fine but no one will want an old model just like no one wants an iPhone 3G right now.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
There's a reason that the car and TV industries don't make real profits. People hold onto their investment too long and they don't value the new products constantly being released enough to spring for the new model. Apple car could address these issues by releasing an affordable car that gets better every year in terms of it's software. The updates would be free but they can only support the built-in hardware for only so long.

Cars will be 60% software and 40% hardware in a few short years. Software updates will only take you so far when the hardware is out of date. Of course the car will still run fine but no one will want an old model just like no one wants an iPhone 3G right now.

Were you talking about software support? I was talking about hardware - people buy cars now for the hardware, not software.

But then your proposed model would be no different from Tesla...

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
We'll probably have to jailbreak it to use non-approved parts - which will become necessary after just a few years when it's classed as an 'obsolete' product.:(

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

I wonder if Apple could get car turnover like their phones. The price would have to be really compelling though. Like Nissan Leaf pricing with Tesla P85 or better range. If Apple plan on obsoleting a vehicle and not fixing it if it is over 5 years old, they will need to have awesome lease pricing, no one wants to keep a car that they can't get service on anymore.

The average car age in the US is like 11 years, with dealers quoting 6.4 years for vehicle trades.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States

Great... So you're saying Apple updates will cause my car to run slower and necessitate purchasing a new model at Apple's affordable prices of double the competitors pricing? Sign me up ;)

Oh, can it be recharged over USB 3.0?

And can't wait for the over the air updates that render the car crash prone or buggy while I'm driving.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
As good as 400 miles/charge is, where can you fill up? How quickly can you fill up an electric car? With regular cars, gas stations are very common. Plus, it takes what? 5-10 minutes to fill an empty tank. I've heard electric cars take HOURS to charge from empty to full. Plus, here's the hitch: we all know how Apple loves proprietary connectors. I fear that if Apple does make a car, it'll need a proprietary charger. So good luck finding a place to charge. With an Apple brand, I'm sure gas stations or whoever will be willing to get the appropriate charging stations, but that would take months, if not years, after Apple announces it.

I would hope Apple would coordinate with Tesla on superchargers and their connectors (Tesla is open to it). Currently they can charge 170 miles in 30 minutes. I image there would be a future market for mobile charging trucks who could be called for 15 to 30 minute supercharges to get bad planners to the next charging station. With electric cars, we'll need to, well, Think Different about fueling our vehicles. Planning ahead will be important.

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
 will get eaten alive by Tesla. They would be foolish to not work with them or make an offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.