Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airport_utility_icon-250x250.jpg
Apple today released new firmware updates for its Wi-Fi base stations, including the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule. The 7.7.8 update is available for 802.11ac base stations, while the 7.6.8 update is available for 802.11n base stations.

According to Apple's release notes, the update fixes an issue that caused AirPort base stations from appearing in the AirPort Utility when Back to My Mac is enabled. The firmware updates can be installed using the AirPort Utility app for iOS or OS X.

Apple has reportedly stopped development on its AirPort wireless routers, with no new AirPort products planned for release, but the company will continue to offer bug fixes and updates in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Releases Firmware Update 7.7.8 and 7.6.8 for AirPort Base Stations With Back to My Mac Bug Fix

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Is the Airport really being discontinued? Apple is definitely still selling them, and they haven't made an official announcement, just some third party news that some people were laid off.

It could just be restructuring, hopefully? Maybe I'm overly hopeful, but it just seems odd that Apple is still selling, with plenty of stock available, these products if they don't want to anymore.

mpe

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Finally. My time capsule was very unhealthy once I upgraded to 10.12.2. After this it seems to be working again...

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Apple has now stopped development on its AirPort wireless routers, with no new AirPort products planned for release, but the company will continue to offer bug fixes and updates in the near future.

As others have said, just because rumours claim something does not = truth.

It's pretty 2016 of MacRumors to make a statement of certainty without any official proof.

Until an Apple spokesperson confirms it, AirPort is not discontinued.

Last edited:

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I don't get it updated and my Time Capsule still says cannot connect to iCloud and has a orange dot for the status. Probably hasn't worked for a year now.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I snagged a three pack of Eeros on sale on Amazon after hearing the news that Apple reassigned the AirPort engineers. Only had the Eeros running for a few days; but so far, I'm seeing vastly improved throughout compared to my previous two AirPort Extreme (the tower model) setup.

The AirPorts rarely managed to give me more than 40 Mbps up and down unless I was near the primary AirPort. With the Eeros, I'm getting between 100-200 Mbps up and down throughout my house. This is connected to gigabit fiber. Obviously nowhere near as fast over Wi-Fi as it would be if everything was connected with Cat 6, but that's to be expected. Unless Eero really screws something up, I have to say that I'm liking what I've seen so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.