Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airport_utility_icon-250x250.jpg
Apple today released a new firmware update for all of its 802.11n Wi-Fi base stations, including the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule. According to Apple's release notes, the update includes bug fixes and is designed to improve the stability and performance of the products.
This update:
- Fixes an issue which may prevent communication between clients on the same network
- Improves performance with an extended guest network
- Addresses potential naming conflicts with Bonjour Sleep Proxy
Apple has also released a 7.7.7 update for its 802.11ac Wi-Fi Base stations, including the latest AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule models. It fixes the same issues.

The firmware updates can be installed through the AirPort Utility app for iOS or OS X.

Article Link: Apple Releases Firmware Update 7.6.7 and 7.7.7 for AirPort Base Stations

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Any chance it'd also fix iTunes / Airport Extreme dropping 3 out of 4 air playing devices 5 seconds after I connect to play audio to them? ^_^; (I'm hoping that's the "may prevent communication" part...)

Reactions: calvinline

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
last time I updated the firmware it bricked all devices and what pissed me off, that airport express B,g was not supported anymore.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Any chance it'd also fix iTunes / Airport Extreme dropping 3 out of 4 air playing devices 5 seconds after I connect to play audio to them? ^_^; (I'm hoping that's the "may prevent communication" part...)

I'm finding that AirPlay gets worse with every new hardware and software they release. I'm still angry at Apple about the jitter problems with some DAC's when they moved from the wall AirPort Express to the squared AirPort Express. I'm seriously considering a Sonos Connect to replace the AirPort Express connected to my stereo system.

Last edited:

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
How long does this take to populate for each device in the iOS Airport Utilty app? I've been checking for about an hour, but it still shows as 7.7.3 is the most up-to-date version.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
i have an airport network of 1 time capsule 802.11ac and 1 airport extreme 802.11.ac , 2 airport extreme 4th gens and a time capsule 4th gen.

this new firmware seems to be able to steer 5ghz as well
the older firmware seemed to be able to steer 2.4 ghz but did not steer 5ghz

my main is on channel 1/161
my windows pc next to it ( no wireless clients ) is on 6/161
my brothers room across the house where the tv tuners are on is on 1/132
the other bedroom that has the books is on 11/161
the second time capsule in the garage is on 1/44

weird!!!

you can only select manual channels on the main base station, the extenders are automatic and cant be changed.

Reactions: NeshyD

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
How long does this take to populate for each device in the iOS Airport Utilty app? I've been checking for about an hour, but it still shows as 7.7.3 is the most up-to-date version.
The first time I checked after seeing this article it was available for me. May take a while to propagate to the servers.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
I've experienced quite a few issues with these devices over the past year or so since they last updated them, but I figured I would just have to live with it. I wonder what took so long.

Does this fix (for the AC BaseStations) provide any updates for IPv6 issues with cable providers? the current "fix" is to disable IPv6 and use Link-local which sort of works but I get random speed reductions.
Hope so too. Took me awhile to figure that fix out not too long ago.

About time! I thought Apple abandoned this product line.
Me too. Nice to finally see something for the AirPort line.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.