Apple Airport Base Stations

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Nov 27, 2006.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey

I don't have a base station, but I'm planning on buying one. I'm looking to get it because of it's WDS capabilities... my question is:

Which base station supports WDS? All of them or just the AP Extreme Base Station? Or is it just the Airport Express?

I'm looking for a router that's under $30 and has WDS capabilities.... what would you guys recommend?
  2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    all the latest Apple airports will do WDS :)

you could get two 'express' airports, used one as a router, WDS the other one off it, and have airtunes in two locations :)

3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    If you're seriously looking at Airport and under $30 you might not find what you're looking for :p The AP Express alone is >$120, but well worth it.

Personally, I have a Linksys WRT54G running Open-WRT which'll support WDS, but I have yet to get it to work with my Airport Express.

4. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yeah, I've got 2 Linksys in my house, but I'm looking to get one for my gf. I had gotten a Netgear Super G a while back and i thought it would extend her D-Link...but at the time, I didn't know about WDS. Now that I know and set one up for myself in my home, I'd like to do the same for her. However, i can't just get rid of her Dlink n Netgear.... I'm looking into some Belkin, Buffalo, and Toshiba routers. I also saw the graphite apple base stations. I was wondering if those were able to do WDS. I haven't owned an apple base station so I don't know if the graphite has WDS, or the Snow. But i know the airport extreme base station and the airport express does it. Any ideas?