Apple Alerts Customers About Upcoming 'Sales Tax Holidays'

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 5, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has been sending out e-mails to customers in a number of U.S. states alerting them to upcoming "sales tax holidays" that may entitle them to tax-free purchases of qualifying Apple products. A number of states sponsor these programs on an annual basis, lifting state sales taxes on limited items for a brief period to stimulate retail sales. The programs are frequently billed as "back-to-school" events that lift taxes on such items as clothing, school supplies, and computers.

Apple's Tax Holiday page highlights the details of the programs in each participating state, explains how to take advantage of the program through retail store, online, and telephone purchases, and notes that retail stores will have extended hours during the tax-free period.
    States with upcoming sales tax holidays include Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, and West Virginia. Most of the states are offering their programs this weekend (Friday through Sunday), although customers should check Apple's site for specific details on their states' programs.

Article Link: Apple Alerts Customers About Upcoming 'Sales Tax Holidays'

2. Guest

Surely

No CA. Boo.

Thanks a lot, Schwarzenegger. :rolleyes:

3. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They've never had tax-free days in California, but I was at an retail Apple store in Tennessee for one of their tax-free days, and Apple was well-prepared. There was a big line outside the store and they had ropes and extra staff to keep things organized, letting people into the store as previous people came out.

They and many other stores do a lot of business on tax-free shopping days.

4. Guest

Surely

Well, I'm not surprised that CA doesn't have a tax-free day considering how difficult it was to finalize a budget here. This state needs every dollar it can get.

It just would have been nice to save the 9.25% for a weekend...... ah well.....

5. macrumors 68030

kbmb

One of the very FEW good reasons that I enjoy living in New Hampshire....tax free purchases all the time. :D

Now if I only had more money to buy more stuff at the Apple store!

-Kevin

6. 4np
    macrumors 6502a

4np

People in Vermont could also just drive to New Hampshire all year round ;)

7. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Maybe I should drive sixteen hours to New Mexico. :)

8. macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

TEXAS: Aug 21-23

...They left off Texas for some reason. Aug 21-23.

Texas demands reparations! :D

9. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

From what I understand, California needs all the taxes "we can't afford to pay" and some.....:mad:

10. macrumors member

ey...what about us?

any chance this break will be implemented in NY/NJ area. :(

11. macrumors 6502a

mattwolfmatt

Oh c'mon, everyone should pay "their fair share!" Especially the rich who buy apple products. (sarcasm noted)

12. zed
    macrumors 6502

I picked up a low end MacBook Pro in Georgia last weekend for $1099 (with student discount and no tax) and got a free iPod Touch to boot.

:)

13. macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

For all of those people that don't want to pay taxes on Amazon.

14. macrumors 68020

noodle654

I remember when I was younger that NY had a tax holiday during the last weekend in August for back to school. They don't have it anymore I don't think. NJ never has had one, because the state is in debt over its eyeballs.

15. macrumors regular

meh, I got everything I need.

16. macrumors member

but will there be an "Apple Tax" holiday? :p

*duck!*

17. macrumors 68000

Be sure to travel somewhere where the sales tax rate is really high to make sure you save the most amount possible.

Somebody will do it... :)

Or just order off MacMall where there aren't any sales taxes AND you usually get extra RAM free stuff and often free overnight shipping,

Why do people order from the Apple Online store again?

18. macrumors regular

BTO options and convenience. As far as I can tell, that is all. I realize some places stock BTOs, though.

19. macrumors newbie

My original post was deleted... But Texas isn't included because electronics aren't included in the tax exempt weekend. I think it's only things like clothing and school supplies. So Apple wouldn't advertise for something that doesn't apply to them.

20. dfs
    macrumors regular

Californicated, as usual

Need it be said that California is not on the list of states participating in this program? That's the main reason that, when it comes to big ticket purchases, a lot of Mac users out here avoid the Apple Store and buy from some out-of-state source. If you do this and find some vendor willing to throw in free shipping, you can save some truly big bucks. In its desperation California and some of its municipalities keep cranking up the sales tax, but this has the effect of driving commerce out of this state and our own merchants suffer. They make less money so pay less state income tax. Some merchants (although not of course the Apple store) lose enough business they have to lay off workers. Unemployment. Or even close their doors. More unemployment. So everybody loses. Except the politicians, who are too dumb to understand the effect of their decisions.

21. macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Correct. The limits on goods I believe would make it obsolete even if it could qualify, which it wouldn't.

22. macrumors 6502

emulator

big deal, everyday is tax free day at amazon, newegg, and the countless online stores. never got any electronics at retail, only ages ago, when Delaware was a 30 min drive. :)

23. macrumors member

Mac4Brains

next day?

:(gee thanks for telling me the day after I ordered my MacBook Pro:(

24. RMo
    macrumors 65816

It's OK, they left off Iowa, too--but I'm pretty sure electronics don't count here (it's mostly clothing). Others have said Texas is the same, so perhaps that is why. :)

25. macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I could have sworn my state was tax free for a weekend, also. The sad part is, the state I used to live in is listed right away! Maybe that is another reason to move back.