Apple already has this right?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SiliconAddict, Dec 30, 2003.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    My knowledge of Macs is limited to the fact that its a type of Apple. :p I know for the most part that Macs internal components are similar, identical in some cases, to PC's but....

Is this: Writing an end to the bio of BIOS

similar to what Macs already have? Macs don't really have a BIOS the same way PCs do right?
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    In a sense, they're going where Apple has already been.

The BIOS was borrowed from CP/M before Microsoft had DOS and that idea was working in 1976. It's slightly older than they're admitting.

Apple switched to OpenFirmware with the models which had USB on the motherboard. It allowed updates for the first time. They also started to carry files within the System Folder to hold the firmware needed by Mac OS--it's labeled Mac OS ROM on mine. The only drawback was that it would take longer to load from disk than from ROM.
  3. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    Macs don't have a BIOS. Macs use a ROM where all drivers and stuff is stored and also some high MacOS routines. Each Mac model used to have an individual ROM.
    Ever since the introduction of iMac 1998, Apple uses an unified hardware architecture. All Macs have the same ROM now, called NewWorld ROM.
  4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    Re: Apple already has this right?

In a word: yes
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Actually, a BIOS is a ROM. The old Macintosh ToolBox ROM was much more sophisticated than the IBM ROM BIOS. The differences in sophistication between the two played a major role in the history of personal computers. It is a story that is virtually unknown to those who didn't live through the era.