Apple Ambitions: A few thoughts??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Supa_Fly, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

MacWorld Magazine
    Apple Ambitions: An observation
    I really enjoy reading your magazine, as it gives good insight on the products most Mac users use, and on the evolving world of Apple. However some improvements can be made.

I look forward especially to the release of upcoming PowerMacs and PowerBook upgrades along with the announcement (or leaked details of) Mac OS X 10.3.1 Panther. On such articles highlighting the details of these, I hope to see not only the views of your authors but of specific quotes from those upper echelons of Cupertino Circle (Apple). For instance, quotes (from software engineers) on specifics of whether or not research & development has/is been/being done on porting the OS to 64/32Bit processors (being compatible with both CPU designs). Even if neither Apple nor IBM (hint PowerPC 970) will confirm if production or purchase of 970 CPU systems has begun; prior to official announcement. Or perhaps, what other technologies Apple is researching or interested in implementing in future product lines: Serial ATA (ATA/150), 900Mhz Front Side Bus, IBM’s PCI-X technology (150Mhz PCI bus allowing 1Gb/sec),a possible Motorola cpu with Direct Memory Access imbedded inside the cpu core (AMD+Motorola Athlon 64)?

These are the things that not only Mac heads really want to know, but also us switchers. Unfortunately, the Wintel world is a backwords world that is still influenced by hardware performance, not total system performance that most are accustomed to seeing in the Mac world. Even though the Windows OS has improved over the years, it still causes huge stress in how it works with hardware (except the CPU), software, and itself. Hardware components like those mentioned previously have jumped by leaps and bounds to improve system performance. If by any chance that Apple & IBM do agree on using the PowerPC 970 or a PowerPC 5 cpu in upcoming PowerMacs or XServes, and the Mac OS X Panther does support 64-bit processors, then Apple will definitely need to implement Serial ATA HDD for superior data transfer speed (on a single or RAID disk machine), and lower HDD power (3 volts vs. 5 by ATA/133) requirements needed by database systems.

And lastly, Apples market share. A sensitive topic indeed, but one that needs an article. What is Apples current market share in the USA and other countries (Canada, UK, China, Japan, Indonesia, Italy, France, etc), and what are their targets for these countries over the next several/few quarters? What does Apple think is preventing it from acquiring and holding a larger market share both at home and abroad? Read the forums to try to get a consensus on several views of this and include that in the article--please (Apple needs to hear from the faithful few). Should Apple go into the service business of sales--like how it made sales in excess of 20'000 iBook G3 generation 2 laptops to a high school in the US-- to show off not only its expertise in computer design, technology, and ease of use, but also how diverse its operating system and supporting applications are effective in various business'. Although Apple's "switchers" ads are cute, humorous, and user targeted, it’s just that. Too much of the cuteness and humor make its products and image seem like its intended "only" for youth or the home user. Unfortunately, even youth and home users eventually end up submitting assignments for school, operating their own business, or working for a big corporation. I love the online ad for the second iteration of the XServe (G4 Dual 133 MHz), "We Mean Business". Maybe it’s just me (Canadian cable TV channels are not so generous), but shouldn't Apple have such an ad aired on national TV highlighting not just the OS or the product but how a business would use such a product, successfully?? An example maybe GenenTech Corporation on mapping the human genome. Even appearances of executives or engineers making quick statements, or even a smile beside one of their products (not on display, but actually working, setup on site) inside the TV ad. Just look at the most recent Hewlett-Packard ad, or ads from Mutual Fund companies (my favorite is the one of the lady speaking various languages as she circles around the camera to prove the point of the global world market). Dells ads are very similar to Apples current switcher’s ads, but they lead in market share of any computer manufacturer, mainly due to their support (24 hours) behind EVERY system and their products being used by major corporations (direct sales/customization). This would be a great opportunity for Apple to advertise on TV, that it doesn't just build a computer, but a complete computing system (Hardware and Software). I know this has been tried before, but now is the time to really push this fact in a professional--no nonsense not casual--way (like who builds their own car from scratch from various manufacturers and expects it to last more than 1year?). Better yet, put it this way, Apple's OS has never tried to be all things to all people but all people being able to do almost anything on an Apple.

I want to once again stress the importance of Apple's market share and how the company is perceived by PC users. Unfortunately, PC users feel that people whom use Apple products are either graphic professionals (animation), publishers, or just plain cult freaks (good for Apple faithful as not all cults are bad). This is very detrimental to Apples' market share. Apples' performance testing usually relies on PhotoShop results in their conferences. I just read online somewhere that Adobe announced that their major users prefer the PC to Apple. Apple needs to advertise not only its strength and commitment in education, but also how it can do in other industries. And I mean not just how it co-operates with MS Windows in the same business, but how it does so alone in a major/successful businesses, how that business deals with Mac/PC clients over the internet or directly, and what Apple has done to support their efforts and their implementation of Apples products and technology. This can be done in part in a small decent monthly article, or once a year issue. No, that’s still not good enough! Apple should show what really makes us all fanatic about owning an Apple. I still can’t word it right, but we have all felt it....help me out here. (After using my friends Mac for 4 months, well let’s just say that the planets went off their orbit for an hour before he got it back, hehe)

Lastly, Apple should consider itself a separate hardware/software entity of itself. They already have with the tremendous PC sales of the iPod. Maybe they should design PC cases for the Windows machines, of course nothing as sweet as that for the Macs though. How about porting over the world renowned Final Cut Pro 3 to the PC platform and give Adobe Premier, even Avid Express a run for their money. While they are at it why not beef up AppleWorks and port it over to the PC as a cheaper alternative to MS Office, even if it’s only for the educational market abroad?? Come to think of it hasn't Apple already started?? Many famous Audio & Video alternatives for the PC are owned by Apple and may or may not continue on the PC platform, hmmm. Imagine what the world would do if Apple made a PocketPC with various Apple APIs and plugins making it compatible to Macs & PCs, natively, along with Bluetooth & Airport Extreme imbedded and a FireWire 400 charging/data transfer station---essentially to beat MS at their own game in their own house, ouch!

Sorry for the huge post but I think that it’s important to all of us Mac head’s, switchers, and potential Mac yutes.

Please be kind to post any thoughts that you may have on this!!

D. Sangster
    Potential PowerMac customer
    Ontario, Canada

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Apple Ambitions: A few thoughts??

In theory this is a good idea, sort of like communism is in theory a good idea, although it does have problems. If apple decides to start sharing more and more of its apple-only programs with the pc world, then that is more of a reason for people *not* to switch. Do you see where i am going with this? About the PocketPC thing I must wholly disagree with you-there is no market for another pocketpc/megapda device-the market is simply inundated. Such a device would not flourish like the ipod since the ipod was one of the first semi-affordable hard drive based mp3 players, there are already atleast ten good choices for pocket pc devices for the pc world. I agree with the majority of what you said, although i disagree also with your comment of "beat ms at their own game..." Apple develops great operating systems, programs, devices, designs etc for their own products, if apple were to try and develop a program for a platform they essentially know nothing about, then likely it would be bug ridden and do nothing but defamatize the credibility of Apple's trademark: quality.

Like I said I agree with the majority of what you stated and I only chose to respond to one of the paragraphs of your post.

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

Re: Re: Apple Ambitions: A few thoughts??

i disagree, i think that people would use apples software, and love it of course, and then be more interested in the other things apple has to offer. of course it could go both ways, and i'm sure it would if that ever happened.

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: Re: Apple Ambitions: A few thoughts??

but apple doesnt make pc software-thats the point. they have no experience with the OS and therefore would not make a good product. Does microsoft make itunes? nope, and they could never-they simply dont have the knowledge.

5. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

-----Does microsoft make itunes? nope, and they could
    -----never-they simply dont have the knowledge.

But that doesn't mean they can't copy, never stopped them before.

6. Supa_Fly thread starter macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Thanks for the input

Tazo special thanks for your optimistic view on both sides of my opinions--greatly appreciated.

you said "disagree also with your comment of "beat ms at their own game..." Apple develops great operating systems, programs, devices, designs etc for their own products", and I understand what your saying. What I meant to say or the thought I wanted to provoke was....I was hoping that Apple could beat MS at their own game in regards to being a staple in desktop computer recognition-->worldwide without first thinking about another company this is what I want Apple to become. For the same reasons that you stated in "quality" software and hardware!

Now in regards for Apple making software for Windows.....hmm. First I want to have you think back to the days when some Apple programmers left to go to Microsoft in order to properly port over Office software to the Mac platform. Now after pondering on the quality and the "extra" features that the Mac platform of "Office" has over Windows "Office XP" has, now you can next go on to the serious Windows/Mac or Windows only software (Audio & Video related) companys that Apple has bought outright in the early 2002 calender as published in Macworld (August I think). Some of the Windows only software companys will no-longer produce Windows software and begin to port their most popular titles to Mac. Same goes for the other Audio/Video companies that Apple has bought. This has been going on for the past 3 years roughly. If a company can rightwards (not backwards to Windows) code software to the Mac platform from Windows, and the software team can be fully engulfed into the OS X fold----then Y not Apple make software for the PC platform (albeit missing "key" features found only on the Mac platform)--at better quality than what the windows platform can do (NO CRASHES, or 1 in 2 years). I would love to see Apples revenue increase from sales of software like Final Cut Pro 4 for PC. Think a little differently for a moment.......The IEEE-1394 interface is Apples creation, and approved by the IEEE as a standard. Now all computers Apple or PC (not the budget PC comps) have FireWire inbedded on their MOBOS. And surely those users are starting to connect their DV Camcorders......so why not edit on Apple software that created the connection standard??Things that make you go Hmmmm?

Any other thoughts??

7. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

10.3.1?

where does 10.3.1 come into play?
    no one even has a beta of 10.3.0 yet.

8. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

It does seem to me that if you tell someone you are a Mac user, they say, "oh, are you a graphic designer?"

I guess its common misconception that Apple's products are only for audio and or video work.

Sigh.

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

people still think of that web image that ciricultated with the bondi imac "if you build a computer designed for idiots only idiots will want to use it". I get that on a regular basis when i show my mac of choice.