Apple and 802.11n???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by g0gie, Sep 4, 2005.

1. g0gie macrumors regular

What do you guys think apple will do with all the Pre-N hardware comming out? wait for the standard to be ratified or build "pre-n" stuff? Just wondering because I had heard that apple was the pioneer in 802.11b. what do you guys think?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I doubt we'll see anything until 802.11N is official. I don't think there's really any rush on Apple's behalf since 802.11N isn't a radical step like the original move to 802.11B was.

3. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Oh man, I have mixed feelings about the 'N standard. I'd love to see it, but how would I install it on my PB (Isn't the AP card soldered on).

I'd be so awesome to use my PC's 280GB HD as a wireless scratch disk :D

But then I'd need to buy another AP and AP card (assuming I could change it)

Hmm...

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I installed mine on my own, as the aluminium PBs from back in the day (ie: 2 years ago :p ) didn't all come with one, and so I bought mine 6 months after my PB purchase. I installed it myself. Maybe things are different now that all PBs and iBooks come with a card, but I don't think it'd be a problem to provide an install option.

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Apple did release 802.11g before it was officially finalised.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

The airport card on PowerBook isn't soldered on, and it's easily replaceable. I don't know if it's the same on the 15" and 17" PBs, but on the 12", you take the battery out and there's a little door that opens up. Behind that door is the AP card, and it just slides out.

7. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

meh. I'm pretty happy with 54mbps 802.11g. Although my psp is still stuck on crappy 802.11b :p , along with the old pb.

8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I don't think the AP cards are user removable or replaceable, because its standard across the line. Plus I don't recall seeing an AP card when I removed the battery or added RAM on my rev D 17" PB. I'd be nice though.

9. xwk88 macrumors regular

I think its replaceble on all laptops from what I've seen 12 and 14 inch ibooks are under the keyboard pb are aperently under the battery and on ibooks they are very easy to remove. sorry for the dumb question but what is new on the 802.11n ??????

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It's definitely removable on my 12" Rev. C PowerBook, I know that because I've done it.

11. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

it is definately removable on all 'books

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i read somewhere it's soldered on on the latest rev ibooks :confused:

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

14. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

well if apple did solder them onto the new 'books MB then that was a pretty stupid move. many people will get upset i think if N becomes a standard and then apple released a N card that a lot of people wont be able to use.

why :confused: