Apple and Advertising There Products!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Frozone, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Frozone macrumors 6502

Why doesn't apple get more into the TV ad's. They had a few iMac commericals going but I only saw them like 2 or 3 times and now they have the Switch commericals but since they started i have only seen like one of those. Why don't they advertise there other products like there Laptops and the eMac.

I live in a mainly "windows" town except for a few businesses and me of course. And at school i'm always trying to get people to switch and i'm always talking about how good apple is and how bad windows is. I have actually found people that want to switch but they can't becuase they don't have the money to buy a new computer or either there parents won't do it becuase they think it doesn't have enough software to get done what they do with them, and all they do with them is the basics.

But if apple doesn't "advertise" and spread the word that much why don't we as Mac Addicts spread the word and try to get people to switch.

But another thing that annoys me is when i talk to a windows user and we get off on how you just get used to windows crashing and all of the problems and they said that getting used to things is good. That's took me for a shock b/c it showed me that windows user really do just "get used" to having an unstable OS and just not pay it any attention. I didn't realize it until i switched to Mac but I thought the same thing. But now that i have started to use the Mac OS everytime Windows crashes on me i get really really frustrated b/c i'm no longer "used" to it.

Is apple planning on anymore commericals or other scheme of advertising. I have found that the only advertising most people get is from a Mac Users or from a Tech show where they answer a few questions about the Mac OS. And those commericals don't exactly stand out. I know that my mom has seen them before but she didn't even know they had some when i was talking to her about apple.

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

those are some good points, i do think apple is doing a better and better job, with the apple stores and commercials. I remember a thread awhile back saything that apple should have a program where mac users get as many people to switch as possible and that those switchers would refer them when they buy there mac and then they would get discounts. a very interesting idea, i would if it would work. It might be a way to get word out a lot faster and make mac users more eager to preach about there computers. Also in one of the threads someone mentioned that in the commercials they dont' show you anything with the os or anything. I totally agree that they should. show off that beautiful os!

3. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL

Yea they should really do that. That would give me a reason to yack to all of my friends. But i was also thinking of starting a chain letter and sending it to everyone i know and telling to reason to make the switch and show them pictures of how stunning OS X looks and then have a picture of windows next to it to show had ugly it is. Then at the end put if you don't send this to every window user you know then your computer will crash within a week of reading this email. The email would come true if they send it or not if there on a PC. (yea yea) But we as mac users need to spread the word..

4. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

I think that Apple should advertise on talk radio shows such as Rush Limbaugh's. Now I know there are a lot of leftists on this board so before you start flaming me please hear me out. A lot of his listeners are successful people that have money to spend on computers and would likely switch to Mac with a strong endorsement and explanation as to why Macs are superior from him. Rush already uses Macs for his entire radio station and has a HDcinema display prominently shown behind him on the live stream of his show. Unfortunately I think Apple is willing to let politics get in the way of their profit so it will probably never happen.

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Are you guys new to Apple and the Mac? I'm just curious, because Mac users have been Apple's primary source of advertisement for the last 10 years or so. It was really heated in the constantly "beleagured" days of Apple when every editorial was about the impending doom of Apple. A man named Guy Kawasaki ran a website called the MacEvangelist, and was actuaslly an Apple employee whose title was "Evangelist" for a while.

Back in the 90's when the PowerPC was new and faster than Intel, there were some great commercials poking fun at the Pentium; those were the days. I do agree that Apple desperately needs to have commercials that actually show a Mac running OS X and showing all of the things it does with ease.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to settle for Mini-Me and Yao-Ming.

Regards,
    Gus