Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
What do you think Apple will be like in 10 years? What do you think are the best investments Apple could make in its future? What are your thoughts?

In my opinion their best bet would be artificial intelligence. If anything is going to be a watershed breakthrough in the next 10 years it's going to be AI. It sounds ridiculous, sure, but this is the future of tech. And I'm not talking about anything like Siri. I'm talking about true AI, a sentient entity you can talk to, something that knows you well and can anticipate your very thoughts. Siri will look like an antiquated typewriter compared to the kind of hard AI that will be produced in the near future. It will be so revolutionary that most people can't even imagine it's capabilities today. I'm not talking about something like the AI from Ex Machina or the film Her, those films haven't even scratched the surface of what is really possible in a good AI.

The possibilities are truly endless. It won't even be limited to an assistant like Siri, imagine having a neural network process real-time audio from your iPhone. It could analyze audio from the microphone of your phone and remember every word you hear. Imagine being able to ask your phone 'What was it Bill said about X last March' and having your phone give you a perfect recall of events. Or imagine you're visiting a foreign country and you want to have a conversation in another language. Instead of performing a raw text-translation, your AI could listen to the conversation, and in real-time it could analyze the emotion of a conversation, vocal patterns, colloquialisms, etc. and give you a near-perfect translation instead of a dumb text-lookup translation.

Imagine telling your phone 'Call Bill and ask if he wants to have dinner at X tomorrow'. Your AI would make the phone call, and would then not only tell you what his response was, but what his emotional response was, whether he sounded happy or concerned, etc. The AI could even guess as to why people feel a certain way by recalling conversations that took place in the past. An AI with a neural network powering it could look for patterns in your speech, your movements, etc. to guess how you are feeling, and it could work with smart accessories in your house to, for example, lower the lighting in your room if it knows you have a headache. It could even analyze your movement, health measurements, etc. to alert you to any potential health problems you might want to look in to.

Some people would become highly attached to their AI, others would barely use it at all, everyone is different. But a true AI would be so incredibly useful, entertaining, friendly, intelligent, that most people would come to absolutely depend on it. An AI could detect if you are feeling worried about something, and quietly begin doing research to learn more about the issue and how to give you good advice.

Not only do I think that Apple should go 'all in' on AI, I think they should be investing tens of billions of dollars in it, because AI is the future. If Apple doesn't want Google to beat them to the punch, they should start investing with IBM to further develop in its TrueNorth chips. I envision large data centers, not filled with traditional hard drives and Xeon processors, but instead filled with rack upon rack of neural network processors. Google's biggest advantage is the massive amount of data it already has about people. But Apple could also get huge amounts of information about people without necessarily violating their privacy.

AI is doubtlessly the 'next big thing' and it has the potential to revolutionize human life as we know it. Apple shouldn't surrender this promising area to Google.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Imagine telling your phone 'Call Bill and ask if he wants to have dinner at X tomorrow'. Your AI would make the phone call, and would then not only tell you what his response was, but what his emotional response was, whether he sounded happy or concerned, etc. The AI could even guess as to why people feel a certain way by recalling conversations that took place in the past.
I highly doubt this will happen, especially in 10 years, but if it did and someone tried to have an AI call me I'd do the same thing I do now if a computer calls me. I'd hang up, and if someone wants to get ahold of me they can call themselves.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I highly doubt this will happen, especially in 10 years, but if it did and someone tried to have an AI call me I'd do the same thing I do now if a computer calls me. I'd hang up, and if someone wants to get ahold of me they can call themselves.
Here's the cool thing, of all the things I said, this will be one of the easiest to do. In fact, software to do this already exists. There is software out there that can analyze vocal patterns to detect emotion and it works exceedingly well. There's software that can build speech from a request. All that's left is to combine them. The capabilities of this software combined with a neural network to process results would be...tremendous.

That was just one example, but what would you think of this scenario: You have a conversation with a friend who sounds very happy and then leave to drive home. On the way home your phone can dig through past conversations with that individual, AND look online at that person's social network profiles, and if it finds something you haven't seen yet that would explain why your friend was happy, your phone could say something like "Kate seemed pretty happy, didn't she? I think it's because X happened". The AI wouldn't just act as a note taker or a secretary. It would act like a friend, helping you understand the world around you, not just with numbers and statistics but emotion too. But unlike a friend, the AI would have an almost omniscient knowledge about you and everyone around you, and if tastefully designed, could dramatically improve your life.

Last edited:

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
I feel this way as well. Watch for example has enormous potential. I want to see focus in Siri ability, though not necessarily to the extent that your last paragraph describes. At least not the way Google does it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.