Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo reports on an alleged email Steve Jobs sent to one of their readers. The email was in response to a complaint that AT&T is not offering a tethering option for the iPhone, even though it is offered on other smartphones as a $30/month add-on. The response acknowledged Apple and AT&T were discussing the option:
We agree, and are discussing it with ATT.

Steve
'Tethering' allows users to connect their laptops to the internet by using their mobile phone as the internet connection. The lack of a tethering option for the iPhone was highlighted recently due to the enormous interest in Nullriver's Netshare application which was temporarily available through the App Store.

As mentioned above, AT&T does offer an official tethering option for many of its smartphones as an additional $30/month charge.

Article Link

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Att?

I agree, and we're discussing it with AT&T and ATT and also AT-AT

Steve

Sent from something

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

Gizmodo reports on an alleged email Steve Jobs sent to one of their readers. The email was in response to a complaint that AT&T is not offering a tethering option for the iPhone, even though it is offered on other smartphones as a $30/month add-on. The response acknowledged Apple and AT&T were discussing the option:'Tethering' allows users to connect their laptops to the internet by using their mobile phone as the internet connection. The lack of a tethering option for the iPhone was highlighted recently due to the enormous interest in Nullriver's Netshare application which was temporarily available through the App Store.

As mentioned above, AT&T does offer an official tethering option for many of its smartphones as an additional $30/month charge.

Article Link

Hmm, now that I did upgrade to a 3G, I wonder if should have purchased Netshare. Regardless, I'd be interested to see how much a sanctioned iPhone tethering plan would go for. Further, would it be a simple SOCKS proxy or will it allow for all network connections to flow through the iPhone?

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah, I ballsack T-Mobile too. The service with them on my Blackberry is awful. :)

OMG! Thank you! I needed a laugh this morning. It even caused me to call others over to my office to read it!

But back on topic: I'm not sure I think $30/month is a good option, at least for me. I would only need the tethering option 4 weeks a year total. Wonder if they could offer a "lite" version of the charge?

Damn! Knew I should have picked up NetShare!!!!!!!!

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
About time, in Canada the Rogers data plan allows for tethering so I would like to see an official tethering option, preferably through iTunes and via USB.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
An additional $30?? With my old Cingular 8125 I could tether free of charge. I'm not interested in tethering for $30 extra per month..may as well subscribe to a decent 3g air card service.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I picked up Netshare right before it was pulled (for the second, final time) but haven't actually tried it out yet. I'd love a simple tethering option, but $30 seems kinda steep, doesn't it? Unless it removes the data caps on the "unlimited" iPhone data plan...

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
10.00$ per month, no more.

I'm sending this using Netshare, and would like to have that tinge of worry they will send me some huge bill

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
With the AT&T network being apparently strained already, can you imagine if tons of additional people start tethering. I hate to be the turd in the punchbowl, but if they don't do some serious network tweaking and upgrading, the thing might grind to a complete halt...

BTW- I second the ballsacking of T-Mobile. Love them or hate them, AT&T is night and day better the tMo.

spazattack674

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Boston
AT&T should offer either free Wi-Fi at its hotspots for wireless customers or at least offer a tethering plan like the one being described here.

iPhelim

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I would guess that if this does come to fruition quickly we'll see it in iTunes 8. For now, i'm more than happy with NetShare though :)

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I happened to be traveling when NetShare was released and wasn't able to download it in time.

I would like to be able to tether my iPhone to MB from time to time (a few times a year), but $30 extra a month is ridiculous. We already pay $30 for a Data plan. But I'd pay an extra $5 a month if it was a full tethering option and not just a proxy option the way NetShare is.

mtor82

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
Florida
wow i can't afford ANOTHER $30/month why should i pay more if i already have an UNLIMITED data plan???:confused:

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I would have thought it would be "He bought a case, headphones and a dock at the Apple Store."
Comma's incite more discussion on these forums than all other punctuation combined.

And I would use "case, headphones, and a dock" but I am a comma whore.

Ultimatetone

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
I'm not sure I think $30/month is a good option, at least for me.
I would only need the tethering option 4 weeks a year total.

With the $30.00 tethering option currently offered at AT&T (for certain smartphones they offer, not iPhone),
AT&T allows you to use/not use the tethering on a 'month-to-month' basis, even with a contract in place.

Granted, I am not sure what the user needs to do before the next month's bill is generated
to let AT&T know you won't be using tethering next month (or until further notice), but it can be done.

I'm not interested in tethering for $30 extra per month..may as well subscribe to a decent 3g air card service.

On the other hand, AT&T (just for comparison) offers a 3G aircard type service, but it requires a 2 year contract,
is $60.00 a month, and does not carry the 'month-to-month' option, as I explained above.

Ultimatetone

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
I would rather not Jailbreak my iPhone just to get a copy of Netshare up and running, however an additional $30 tethering plan is out of the question.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
included with broadband connect?

i don't like adding a $30/mo tethering plan, but if it were to include at&ts broadbandconnect express cards or USB adapters it would be perfect.
30 dollar Add-on..... LMAO! I <3 T-Mobile
i just checked t-mobiles site and couldn't find one plan with a tethering option. just normal $19.99/mo data plans. i'm not saying that people aren't doing it, but if enough users are tethering their smartphones or blackberrys then they probably will wind up paying for it soon. seeing as how t-mobile just recently got onto 3G this summer means tethering plans are probably in the works.

damacus

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Somewhat misleading.

I pay $80/month to AT&T including taxes/regs for a full plan on my 8525 phone, and it has bluetooth Personal Area Network tethering. That's $70/month before taxes/regs, and I'm pretty sure THAT's what the $30/month option means.

The iPhone already costs more than that and already HAS unlimited data on top of the normal voice plan, so they need to allow tethering for free, or for almost nothing extra. (No more than $5.)

Fishbowl in a turd or not, tethering is EXPENSIVE in terms of battery life. The phone has both the bluetooth and carrier radios up continuously for the duration. You're also burning battery power on your laptop at the same time. Also, even with 3G, its almost always slower than wifi. I have unlimited ability, but I pretty much only use it two or three times a month, usually for less than an hour.

It's an important tool and a very nice backup to have. When I'm in a bind and absolutely need to connect to the VPN at work and remote desktop to my desktop at the office or use any OSX server tools (say I get a phone call on the road) from pretty much wherever I am. I don't have to go looking for a wifi hotspot.

If I'm paying $80 or more a month, I better have this ability. I'm not going to get an iPhone so long as it continues to represent a step backwards in personal connectivity options.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
$30 dollars sounds almost like having your own internet plan at home. Too pricey.

Let me get this straight.... tethering acts like "apple airport", right? Thanks.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
Maybe once AT&T gets their 3g network up to snuff... until then, I wouldn't pay a dime for tethering. Even then, $30 a month? Yikes..

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
wow i can't afford ANOTHER $30/month why should i pay more if i already have an UNLIMITED data plan???:confused:

These are my thoughts as well. AT&T doesn't offer any home internet service in my area. I have Verizon DSL, and that's costing me $40 a month. Why pay that if the iPhone truly has "unlimited" data? (But we all know that's just marketing hype.) Tethering is the way to go -- if AT&T's network could handle it.

I too am kicking myself that I didn't grab Netshare when it was available.... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.