Apple and Google's Motorola Unit Seeking Arbitration to Resolve Patent Dispute

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that a new court filing in the ongoing patent dispute between Apple and Google's Motorola Mobility unit reveals that both sides are interested in using binding arbitration in order to resolve the issues related to standards-essential patents at a minimum, if not the entire dispute.
    Arbitration would avoid the need for a further protraction of the ongoing court cases, moving the dispute out of the courts and into the hands of a neutral third third party who would review evidence and render a decision that both parties would be legally obligated to accept.

The willingness to engage in arbitration is another sign that the mobile companies involved in a vast web of lawsuits may be seeking to wind down their confrontations, with Apple and HTC having announced a settlement in their dispute over the weekend. Apple's major foe is, however, still Samsung and it appears that there may be no settlement in sight for that dispute.

Article Link: Apple and Google's Motorola Unit Seeking Arbitration to Resolve Patent Dispute
  2. macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2009
    Preston, UK
  3. macrumors 65816

Apr 4, 2007
    los angeles
    Good. Hopefully Apple and Samsung can hug it out too. It's going to happen eventually I'm sure, hopefully soon.
  4. macrumors member

Feb 29, 2012
    Less of the thermonuclear then, it would appear.
  5. maknik, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

macrumors regular

May 17, 2006
    I can't believe Motorola still has that logo. Now that Google owns them, they've really got to replace the 50's bra with something a little more modern.
  6. macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2011
    Dundee, UK
    Good Stuff, get that out thy way and lets get back to innovation at its finest!!:cool:
  7. macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm sick of the patent stories... and I'm not saying that against Macrumors. I'm just tired of these corporations being so ridiculous. Here's hoping that the end is in sight.
  8. macrumors member

Jun 9, 2011
    Westchester, NY
    i am 100% all for defending your intellectual property. BUT good... I am so tired of reading legal disputes on this website
  9. macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2012
    I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.
  10. macrumors regular

Nov 16, 2012
    The only corporation that is ridiculous is Samsung.

God awful, distasteful company that the world would be a much better place without..

This isn't a 'fanboystic' approach; more personal through use of their dire products.

11. macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2006
    SLC, Utah
  12. macrumors 603

Frand issues are probably best settled by arbitration anyway. That will give both parties a dose of reality to clarify their thinking on non-Frand rights, which frankly they have every right to go nuclear on. However they all also know a settlement on those issues are a double edged sword. The clarity it brings will give incremental advantage to all included competitors to Apple, where now they are stuck in the mud to some degree. Hence why Steve used such extreme language on this issue. He has them "flummoxed'. Even in death.

Apple can totally afford the expense and drag of lawsuits, and so long as they have as much net profit as all other players combined they have no rational motivation to give.

So there may be an irrational motive. Less conflict. Or the competitor's willingness to pay Apple a license fee for every handset they produce. Either would be to their advantage to be sure almost no matter the cost.

13. macrumors 68030

Dec 28, 2007
    PHX, AZ.
    Please stop with this "stolen" nonsense.
    It's pure FUD.

Arbitration on contract negotiations is a good path and better than wasting court time.
    Plus it doesn't get patents invalidated. ;)
  14. macrumors regular

Nov 16, 2012
    I wouldn't say stolen; but heavily influenced by iOS.

Google hide behind the manufacturers, don't be evil.
  15. macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2009
    Premià de Mar
    And exactly what is stolen?

How it hides behind the manufacturers?

And regarding the thread, it can be a good idea
  16. macrumors 68000

Sep 24, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If Windows Phone passes Apple in marketshare it would be well deserved. While Android does bring new things to the table, the past of how it is conceived will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. At least if Motorola settles with Apple following the footsteps of HTC, Samsung will be the odd one out and look foolish. Samsung is really gutsy to make it seem as if the concept of the modern smartphone was their idea and while continuing to take jabs at Apple.
  17. macrumors 603

Aug 5, 2010
    Repeating it endlessly doesn't make it true. I have yet to see an example of what was truly stolen. It's a complex topic when it comes to the array of patent claims. You can't simply reduce that to a two line description.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2009
    I don't know about android being a stolen OS, but you certainly will shut up if i said Samsung copied apple. :rolleyes:
  19. macrumors member

Jan 8, 2010
    First the iPad mini and now this... RIP, Steve. It's all gone wrong down here.

20. macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2003
    Costa Mesa
    Given how MOTOROLA is plastered all over their phones, I'd take that bra. Imagine if your iPhone had APPLE all over the place.
  21. macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2011
    Let's see, if we go to your utopian world where samsung doesn't exist, we lose retina displays, ipads, iphones, ipod touches, etc...
  22. macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2003
    I'm so tired of this, Steve made mistakes and he also went back on his word. But we gave him the benefit of the doubt. Any time Tim does something than we think Steve would have done, we automatically get at least a handful of people claiming that Apple has lost its way.

Steve wasn't infallible, and just because Tim does something different doesn't make him wrong.
  23. macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Of course not, Apple would just find another monkey to make them.
  24. macrumors member

Jan 8, 2010
    Steve had vision, and that counts for a lot. Tim is excellent at his specialty, which isn't being a visionary.
  25. macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2011
    Clearly, that's why they stopped doing business with this evil, hated company many years ago.....oh wait...