Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fortune reports on Apple and Intel's strengthening relationship over the past few years. Apple switched from PowerPC to the Intel processors three years ago in a somewhat surprise move. Since then, Apple has successfully transitioned to the use of Intel processors in their Macs.

Up until January, Apple had used off-the-shelf Intel parts generally available to other manufacturers. For the MacBook Air, however, Apple approached Intel in early 2007 asking for a small, thin chip for use in an extremely thin computer. Initially, Intel said they were unable to help, but then realized they had an old project that had not been well received by PC manufactuers:
Years earlier, researchers had dreamed up a similar chip in a tiny package, but the idea had been put on the back burner after PC makers gave it a ho-hum reception. The concept just had to be dusted off. “We had that small chip package pretty much sitting on the shelf,” Rattner recalls. Within a year, Intel had updated it to meet Apple’s needs and delivered it in volume.
Apple used the chip in the MacBook Air, which was introduced in January of this year. The most interesting comment, however, is that Intel's chief technology officer Justin Rattner says that Intel is working with Apple on more projects that are "equally aggressive".

Article Link

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
a post from 3 years ago on the official Apple Intel switch announcement thread where everyone were saying a a terrible catastrophe this was

Jun 6, 2005, 02:41 PM
Chimera
macrumors regular

It'll be odd i guess telling stubborn PC users that the mac is now using pentiums, but hopefully in 4 years when everything has settled everyone will see this as a masterstroke (4 years is a long time though )

Well, we didn't have to wait 4 years to see that you were right Chimera, it WAS a masterstroke ;-)

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Imagine that. Custom solutions can make the client happy and everyone a profit. I always enjoy hearing about how things actually work in the business world, especially the recycling of old projects. There is yet hope for Newton, the Cube and that Godforsaken gaming console.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
It's not completely correct to say this is the first custom thing Intel's done for Apple. They sold them a CPU that officially didn't exist for a while in the Mac Pro, and they've done similar things for the iMac. All in all it's been fun that even with the switch to Intel, Apple's STILL pulling out CPUs that are kind of new and different. (Only they're also updating their systems much more frequently-kind of a best of both worlds thing.)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's not completely correct to say this is the first custom thing Intel's done for Apple. They sold them a CPU that officially didn't exist for a while in the Mac Pro, and they've done similar things for the iMac. All in all it's been fun that even with the switch to Intel, Apple's STILL pulling out CPUs that are kind of new and different. (Only they're also updating their systems much more frequently-kind of a best of both worlds thing.)

Apple did get the MacPro chip early, but it was a standard part. The iMac chip does appear custom, but came after the MacBook Air.

arn

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
MacBook Air revision?

Do I see a 2.0Ghz MBA? I bet, and it would run nice and cool. Not sure if the MBA runs hot today, but I am sure they will continue to improve it. Maybe the MBA can be the slowest processor that Apple uses, god I hope they don't let the MBA bypass the Mini. (iPhone not included).

hypermark

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
Part of me wonders if the net outcome of the PA Semi deal is that versus Apple building its chips in-house (over time), they work hand-in-hand with the Intels and Samsungs of the world to realize more truly custom chipsets that nonetheless leverage the efficiency/scale/expertise of Intel, et al.

For Intel, this hybrid approach -- integrating custom/proprietary with general purpose -- seems to have the potential to be a game-changer that others can't match.

Mark

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Glad I picked this time to be a switcher, to take advantage of the up and coming "cutting edge products" only Apple with have. In the future of computing, Apple is where it's at, and now that Toshiba has developed a 1.8" 7200 HDD suitable for the MBA, http://www.toshibastorage.com/main.aspx?Path=StorageSolutions/1.8-inchHardDiskDrives all obstacles to that venue have been removed,at least in my eyes. IMHO, as well as my wife's, it is perfect for her/our uses, as well as another for the business, since the BMB is doing desktop duty running the show
Go Apple:apple::apple::apple:, and if my friends,all of whom have bought BMB's as a result of seeing my baby, the future is certainly looking so very bright.
Should I have been here sooner? don't know, but the switch to INTEL has been,at least in these 60 year old eyes, a deal maker:rolleyes::cool::D

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
This only scratches the surface on collaborative relationship between Apple and Intel. We'll see the fruits of this effort over the years as Apple continues to innovate and push the envelope.

As a Mac user and enthusiast, I'm VERY excited.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
After years of underachieving CPU partnerships it finally seems that Apple has found a partner that can deliver, and wants to deliver, for Apple.

Lethal

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have more custom chips from Intel and not off-the-shelves ones.

Because we all love the way that makes the price of the product stratospheric.

It's fine for Apple's pro computers but let's try to keep the price on the MacBook, Mac Mini, and imac where they're at right now.

... Nothing to keep them from throwing in those custom parts as the prices on them drop though...

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Because we all love the way that makes the price of the product stratospheric.

It's fine for Apple's pro computers but let's try to keep the price on the MacBook, Mac Mini, and imac where they're at right now.

... Nothing to keep them from throwing in those custom parts as the prices on them drop though...

Yeah, Apple's pricing has always sucked.

A poll asked people why they didn't buy iPhone, 56% said price.

I think it's the same case with the Mac, but of course they just can't take a hit of their GIGANTIC profit margin.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
The most interesting comment, however, is that Intel's chief technology officer Justin Rattner says that Intel is working with Apple on more projects that are "equally aggressive".

Tablet?

There's one for all you pro-tablet people out there looking for something to talk about...;)

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
It seems within a short time after Apple introduces something with a customized Intel chip, Intel releases something slightly different but similarly productive for the masses. As far as horsepower goes, Apple has a couple of months bragging rights, though industrial design keep it ahead much longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.