Apple and Nintendo

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMonarch, Jul 25, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Quick question that I've had on my mind for the couple of years (yes, years)

Which company is bigger ($$$)... Nintendo or Apple?

I know the PC industry is huge and all, but I've read somewhere that videogames are the #2 industry (behind Musi... RIAA) and that they make 9+ BILLION per year. Seeing as Nintendo commands a handsome portion of that, and Apple is now the 4th PC seller... Which one is bigger?

Better yet...

Which company has had a bigger influence on this world?

Both Apple and Nintendo are very innovative companies and they have created many things that we now take for granted such as
    Apple: Mouse
    Nintendo: Analog stick
    among other things...

Random comment:
    Wouldn't it be asome if one day Apple and Nintendo teamed up?
    because the DS is fugly... Apple needs to work on it :p
    they'd be some of the most innovative and trendy videogame systems EVER!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Nintendo's share in the video game world has dwindled. Their percent is probably so small, that they have very little power if any. Plus Apple is 301 in the Fortune 500. Nintendo isn't even listed. Apple is by far bigger and more powerful.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo has a 15% marketshare in their field (tied with Microsoft), and around 80% in the handheld market; Apple has a 5% market share in their field. Nintendo has very little power? The numbers dispute that.

Still, 5% of the COMPUTER market is gigantic, and add the iPod to that...Apple is bigger. Both have had HUGE influences. Nintendo caused videogames to take off with the NES. Apple's influence on the computer market was probably large, however.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

well, it takes all of 15 seconds to look up the market cap on any website that has stock info. Nintendo came in at about 15,000 (in millions), apple at 36,000 (in millions). So in terms of value, apple is more than twice the size. I'm not sure by what other measures you may want to measure that. Is revenue important, or is it profit, number of employees, number of products shipped, market share. Its a loaded question with many different ways to look at it.

As to which company has had a biggger influence, are you kidding me. Nintendo is cool and all, but they make a toy. If nintendo had never existed, what would have changed. not a whole heck of a lot. Apple was part of an industry that completely changed the way we live and business as we know it. And they were a major player in its creation. Apple created the first personal computer for cripes sake. I mean, does the analog stick change anybody's life in a meaningful way. There are three console systems, so it only influences them. Everyone has a personal computer. OK, nintendo was there when video games became really popular, but they didn't invent them, and there were arguably better systems available at the time.

One might point out that's apple's aesthetics also have a way of rippling through society to different products (iMac colored george foreman grilles for instance). nothing nintendo has ever done has spawned imitations in compeltely different markets.

Apple gets major technologies like firewire and USB adopted early on. Nintendo has a DVD rom that plays mini DVD's backwards.

Of course, I'm not sure what the use is in comparing them anyway. Two totally different companies with very little in common in terms of products and focus.

5. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I thought Fortune 500 was only for american companies... Plus even though Nintendo is 3rd in the console wars, its #1 in the handheld field. Nintendo's handhelds in terms of numbers sold, will crush anything out there.

6. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

My question has no particular use. I just wanted to know. and now I know. :cool:

7. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I thought Xerox invented the mouse, but Apple adopted it when the Xerox executives couldn't get their heads 'round it?

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe you are thinking about the GUI rather than the mouse, i believe the mouse was totally Apple's baby, but then again i could be wrong :eek:

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The mouse went along with the GUI from Xerox.

jon

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Uhh...the first mouse was a wooden box with a red button to click with. It was made back in the 1960's.

There's a long story behind it too. Can someone find it?

11. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Wikipedia.org has an article on the mouse.

So, if it weren't for the name change, I'd be clicking "Submit Reply" with an Apple Bug right now :p

Attached Files:

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Two questions... is that number for Nintendo based on the sum of their shares outstanding on the Tokyo and Osaka exchanges, and where can you look such a number up? I didn't see an easy way to do that either on finance.yahoo.com or Motley Fool. :(

And anyway, though, it can be dangerous to compare Japanese and American market caps because of tradition-based differences in capitalization structures of companies in the two countries.... :eek:

But I'd still be curious for an easy way to look this kind of information up.

13. katchow macrumors 6502

can we agree that Atari caused videogames to take off? though nintendo (nes) did help them get past a rut.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

theres a mass misconception (thankfully not here though) that Nintendo invented home gaming, whilst being pioneers with a few other major companies they were certainly not alone. much like Apple i suppose.

although the NES really was the first machine that i could play 100% without worry that i did something wrong. being 6 years old and trying to operate a Spectrum ZX81 was a pain. only now do i know its something along the lines of "load *.*", or so im told. the Amiga was relitively easy to run. but because it wasn't a global major thing the manuals and title menus were a little confusing, also because there was no standard game controller. (some with many buttons, some with 1).

Nintendo and Apple both make things simple and use new hardware or utilize existing hardware in a new way. they've very similar in that way.

thanks mr.topic-maker. its a good one!

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Why does everyone believe this? Sega Saturn was the first console to have an analog controller (though the controller shipped with one of the games, not with the console).

While Nintendo certainly made a gigantic impact in video games, as well as pop culture, in terms of civilization itself, I think there are few companies who have ever made as profound an impact as Apple.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually :D

I'm pretty sure that the mushroom controller on the Colecovision was also analog. ;) And I think perhaps the disc controller on the Intellivision as well?

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Alright, but the point is just that it wasn't a Nintendo innovation :p

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True that, although I think Nintendo did a lot of work to make it usable, especially in platform games. Mario64 was a lot more usable then a lot of the early similar games from the other majors... and the fighting system in Zelda was very well-thought-out... in terms of user interface design, with the I-forget-what-it-was-called sort of battle coordinate system where motion became relative to the target. I didn't believe it would be any fun to play a game like Zelda in 3D until I played Ocarina, and it turned out to be one of my favorite games ever. :)

But you're right. To me, as well, character and storyline development are Nintendo's fortés... they have never particularly been technology innovation leaders to me.

But P.S. I still want an answer from Strider on my market cap question.... :D

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thats what i really dont like about the playstation 1/2 the controller is really hard to use, it's too small for my hands and the buttons are awkward to reach.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, it wasn't.
    The original Sega Saturn controller:
    [​IMG]

The redesigned Sega Saturn controller in response to the N64:
    [​IMG]

However, Sega WAS the first to have analog triggers that I am aware of, not counting the Light Gun and stuff like that.

Taken from the video game controller genealogy here:
    http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/

22. 7on macrumors 601

7on

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The first with Analog control was:
    http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/vectrex.html
    [​IMG]

The GCE Vectrex Controller

Nintendo however popularized the analog stick with the 64; Sega and Sony rushed to bring out redesigned controllers (remember Dual Shock) that had analog sticks.

HOWEVER, Nintendo DID invent the D-pad.
    http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/gw.html
    [​IMG]

The NES was the first "hold with both hands and control with thumbs" controller.

I *believe* the SNES was the first with shoulder buttons.

The PS1 controller was an SNES controller with two extra shoulder buttons and a grip, in fact.

The N64 was the first with rumble pack (Nintendo licensed the rumble pack, Sony and Microsoft copied it and got their butts sued a few years later... http://www.out-law.com/page-5459 if I remember right). The N64 also popularized the analog stick.

There's no denying that Nintendo HAS contributed a lot to controllers.

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the atari 5200 was out before the Vectrex, the Vectrex was out late 1982 the 5200 was out mid 1982

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, but if you were the kid that actually owned a Vectrex, that would have pwnd all over a 5200! :p :eek: :D

Seriously, the biggest thing I remember from the 5200/Coleco/Intellivision era was that those stupid keypads were insanely difficult to use. But we got a Coleco for $20 at a garage sale when I was little, and even though it barely worked on the TV with the RF adapter, I could play H.E.R.O. and Roc n' Rope and I loved that thing! :D

But the neighbor kid had a 5200 and we loved Pitfall II also.