Apple and NTFS

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mac Rules, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Hi guys n girls,

Can somebody just explain why Apple uses FA32 HDD, when on large HDD its quicker,or so I was led to believe, that NTFS is more efficient?

Cheers

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:confused: Mac OS uses HFS+ by default, a file systems that is largely on par with NTFS in terms of speed and efficiency.

Macs can also read/write to FAT32, and read NTFS, only for compatibility with Windows. I'm sure they'd love to write to NTFS as well, but the file systems is poorly documented and has a number of variants that are mutually incompatible, so it is safer to only let Microsoft code write to NTFS partitions...

B

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Where did you come off thinking Apple uses FAT32? It can read and write to FAT32, but it doesn't use that file system format. :)

The filesystem used is HFS+

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Um, Apple doesn't use Fat32, it uses its own file system called HFS+.

If you mean in boot camp then it is because Mac OS can read and write to it but can only read NTFS. This is because Microsoft refuses to license NTFS write abilities to anyone.

5. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Sorry guys my mistake, I was reding about BootCamp and it said something about FAT32 on the HDD, and so mistakenly presumed thats what Macs were using...Sorry guys, cheers for the info!

Cheers:)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan