Apple and rape

Discussion in 'Community' started by b00junk, Feb 9, 2003.

1. b00junk macrumors newbie

Jul 25, 2002
    Sensationalist subject? maybe not. My girlfriend is in a rape education sort of community health class where they passed around an apple ad that apparently ran in maxim or playboy magazine or some sort of mens magazine. It described the ibook or power book or ipod or some apple product that us mac fans have come to love, but after the usual description of the device as being sleak and sexy went on to say something that was degrading and violent enough towards women that the teacher felt it was worth showing to the class. Does anyone recal this ad? Know where I could find it? Or at least know where i can find any trace of its existance? I sure haven't seen anything about it in the searches i have been doing for the past hour. I don't know what to say...
    Can't have people bad mouthing our computers like that now can we?
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Re: Apple and rape

i dont think ive ever seen an apple ad that degraded against anything besides microsoft. it may have been an article written by playboy or maxim about a mac. highly doubt it was an apple ad, but i havent seen it so i dont know. and if it was an apple ad and that teacher thinks something they said could possibly remotly be considered mean towards a woman then your gf is getting info for one weird person. just my opinion though.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i think apple did an advert or two with them in the '80s, i could be wrong tho. they did feature a newton once. playboy is the least bad of the mags, except for the nudity they are pretty classy and GQ like. good audience tho.

i can't imagine them doing anything un-PC enough to be degrading to women... odd... if anyone can come up with this it should be interesting...

4. morlium macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2002
    There was one way back that was slightly sexist, but in no way advocated violence. It depicted a man at a computer, while a woman washed dished in the backgrounded, with a dumbfounded grin.
    On the adjacent page, it showed the man teaching her. (I'm not sure what the text said.)

Attached Files:

5. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    how retarded, only a girl would get mad about this. none of use guys would care if the lady was teaching us. i dont want to be mean but if your gf's teacher is offended by this ad from the 80's I would hate to see what other stuff she is teaching your girlfriend.

6. b00junk thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 25, 2002
    she is going to try to get acopy of the add so i can see it, in her defense i have to say that she is not easily offended by this sort of thing. She says that the 1980s ad posted in this thread was nothing like the one shown in class and that the entire class was amazed that apple would put its name on such an ad. Guys in there were apprently impressed that apple would do such a thing. I still have a hard time believing it but she is adament.
  7. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    this is a really interesting topic! intrigue, lol. i am really curious about it. and, morlium, that's impressive that you pulled that out of your hat, or whatever.

sorry for making a pointless post; i wanted to subscribe to the thread in a meaningful way :). it's so weird to imagina apple putting their name on something like that--the same company that has the think different ads and that put jimmy carter up on their main sit when he won the nobel peace prize. i hope this isn't too bad.