Apple and Samsung Negotiating Agreement to Settle Patent Disputes Out of Court

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 19, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple and Samsung may be close to reaching an agreement that would settle all patent infringement lawsuits out of court, claims Kim Yoo-chul of The Korea Times (Via Fortune). This account follows a previous report from late last week that Apple and Google/Motorola have reached an agreement to drop all ongoing litigation between the two companies.

[​IMG]
    Samsung and Apple are reportedly in the early stages of negotiation with some key details on royalty payments still under negotiation.
    Apple and Samsung recently faced off in a California court as part of the second US patent infringement lawsuit between the two companies. In the case that concluded earlier this month, the jury found that Samsung willfully infringed on three of the five Apple patents involved in the lawsuit and ordered the Korean company to pay Apple a sum of $119.6 million. Apple also was found guilty of infringing on one of Samsung's patents with damages totaling $158,400.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung Negotiating Agreement to Settle Patent Disputes Out of Court

2. macrumors 68000

VulchR

3. Editor emeritus

longofest

It is past time that this happened. Get er' done!

4. macrumors 6502

Jynto

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Hopefully this will happen, both companies probably spent more money in lawyer fees/court costs then what either ever gained.

6. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    It would be great to see this resolved so that Apple can focus on developing new products.

Having said that, I will miss the mud slinging. Wait... no I won't. :)

7. macrumors member

Though its been said for a while...

But..

Steve jobs wouldn't have allowed this.....

8. macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

The outcome is less to do with money, more for personal pride and establishment. While Apple had every right to sue Samsung, one can't help but feel that there are double standards involved based upon the market share of a competing product.

Samsung haven't been the only company to emulate Apple design, but the nature of their successes (in particular, the Galaxy line) has clearly ruffled the board's feathers.

9. macrumors G4

:(
    Well, there are still all the hours involved in drafting the paperwork. :)

My guess is that the turning point was the last lawsuit. Apple reached the point of diminishing returns such that the lawsuits no longer paid for themselves. At the same time, they were still costly enough for Samsung that fighting on made no more sense, either. Add Google's inability to gain much traction in its lawsuits and so all parties have a motive to settle.

So patents won't be the thermonuclear battleground Steve Jobs thought they'd be. In the end Apple may get a nice little income stream for a few years, and maybe a chance to patch things up with the rest of Samsung.

----------

I think the courts have been reluctant to allow software patents to be used as weapons to gain sales injunctions, and see royalties as the best solution. The decisions in cases involving Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Google, Microsoft and Nokia have mostly reflected that.

10. macrumors regular

You win the Internet! :D

11. macrumors 6502

Wait, isn't this all part of Samsung's infringe now > stall > pay later strategy?

What's the bet that no settlement can be reached, with many months trying wasted

12. macrumors G5

13. macrumors 68020

Of course he wouldn't! I mean afterall he never settled with Microsoft... oh, wait...

14. macrumors 68000

Since Apple already made an agreement with Google, I'm wondering if Samsung realized they needed to do the same as Google would not protect them any more. They also can't blame Google like they did with the previous trial.

15. macrumors 601

16. macrumors 68000

ghostface147

17. macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

18. macrumors 68040

Samsung is going to do what they want anyway, regardless of any agreements that may or may not be in place. It's just how they do business.

19. macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

If there's a cross licensing deal as part of the agreement, I hope Apple doesn't license the Samsung patent for making crappy products. Nor the one that causes the corporate culture to be one of steal first and fight court battles later!

Mark

20. macrumors member

Start Stealing....

Great news...Embrace Stealing...

No wonder the world will end soon....

21. macrumors 68020

Exactly Samsung's tactic, as said by a previous article on the subject.

Fight until cannot fight more, then settle before getting stuck with a much bigger court imposed fine.

22. macrumors G5

Of course some people are forgetting one thing. If it wasn't in Apple's best interest to settle. Why would they? Why not let it play out.

Personally I think this is a good thing for both parties involved. They should have settled many months and trials ago.

23. macrumors 6502

They probably want a change from the legal battles of these companies - they probably want something less stressful than having a multi-billion pound company on there backs

24. macrumors 68020

Didn't say it was good or bad, its just how Samsung does business.

Copy, get sued, fight fight fight, loose, appeal, loose, settle just before settling slapped with huge court ordered fine.

25. macrumors regular

great, now Samsung phones will have a price hike, as if they are not already over priced.