Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
This further solidifies why I'll be purchasing a Samsung Galaxy Nexus as my next mobile device of choice.

Copyright law needs to be radically changed to favor the consumer, otherwise we'll be subject to a complete lack of innovation and a technological regression for all society.
you've got this backwards! what it means is that Samsung and others will either have to innovate new & better products, or pay Apple for the right to use their patented technology. You're saying you'd rather buy an inferior copy of a product than an original? Why not save yourself a small fortune & invest in a Chinese HiPhone knock-off instead?

If the new iPhone design is simply an elongation of the current model, it should be easy for an innovative company as large as Samsung to trump it with fresh thinking ..should it not?

Last edited:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Samsung has been copying for years. Check out this RAZR rip-off. LOL

img.php

img.php

sticky.chicken

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
For those who can't be bothered reading this, I'll summarise it.

Apple's comment:

"We're the best and this proves it. Spend all your money on apple products."

Samsung's comment:

"Waaaah waaaah, it's not fair. We couldn't invent something as cool as the iPhone so we just copied it."

Of course this is my own cynical take on the comments :p;):rolleyes::D

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Samsung:

Today should not be considered a win for Apple as much as it is a loss for Samsung engineers. Their hard work and late nights at the Xerox machine is now being punished. They will now be pushed to come up with new innovations from scratch, or even worse maybe find some poor company who doesn't have the resources to defend themselves from Seoul to California. It's a sad day for all Americans as Samsung will have to pass the cost of making their own software on to the consumer.

noupf

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Been a member here for more than a decade. I strongly disagree with this jury, the trade dress and some of these patents, not all.

I have bought my last Apple product. I will not support Apple again. I'm sure they will continue to make huge profits. I just won't contribute to them.

Apple, next time you're down in the dumps like you were in 96, I won't be the loyal customer I was. Your trade dress is simply ridiculous. I frankly can't believe it was upheld.

Why, because apple has patents to protect their products and designs from copy cat companies?

God forbid a company stands up for whats legally theirs right?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Cant wait to see what Microsoft will come up with...what? wait? their not in this fight?

Apple has cross licensing with microsoft, Apple gets access to some microsoft patents they need/want, and vice versa. Look at the surface, microsoft probably needed some patent rights for it, and apple probably sees features and patents in the surface that they want to use.

So its win win, and no court ********.

cankster

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
But Apple... haven't you stolen a lot of things?

I love this logic. Its basically "but Apple isnt perfect". Or "guy A is not perfect" or "company A is not perfect"

Like this invalidates all conversation about, or wrong doing by anybody else. So brilliant....

sjestus

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Complete lack of innovation? How so? Or do you mean a complete lack of copying another company's work?

Look...before I get flamed - I've said this before: if Apple has done some copying then those companies should go after them too. This is not from a fanboi point of view.

Samsung didn't innovate or create - they copied. For crying out loud, there was an internal document at Samsung indicating what they needed to change on their phones and what was the best way to copy - they indicated the iPhone for most of it (forget which post that was in, but it was documented in this trial). Look at the photos of Samsung phones before the iPhone and after. I mean...c'mon...

I'm all for innovation, but direct copying - nope. Make your own is what I say.

I firmly believe that 99.99999% of the posts like yours complaining about Apple winning and wanting an 'open' market for fear of technological regression, would all be reversed if it was YOUR company who did the innovating and was copied. You'd be complaining, arms all up in the air because another company would be making money off YOUR ideas and hard work.

I posted this in a thread last week: a company in Ottawa, Canada invented an adult sex device. Their sales are projected to be near $100 million next year. This device is a new idea to the market and it's very popular.
They're also pursuing the legal route against companies which have since copied their device with knockoffs.

I ask you: how is that any different than Apple vs. Samsung? Should this company lay down (no pun intended) and forsake x amount of millions for 'innovation' and technological progression? "Oh gee...we like our gadget, but golly gee whiz xyz company made one too and they're making millions too. Millions we could put in our coffers for further innovation or whatever we want, but hey, we're all friends so it's ok." ????

Or should they continue their chase to sue these companies because THEY created it, THEY worked hard to bring this product to market, THEY have a vested interest in protecting their shareholders' interests?

I don't understand how it gets any more difficult....

Or, PAY to use the patent.

Cheers,
keebler

Very good points. Although, any type of "invention" or "innovation" now days could be considered a ripoff of anything similar, even it it's not directly a copy. For this, IP and copyright laws should be adjusted accordingly.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
If Samsung are such innovators..... make something that doesn't exist yet. Something doesn't already have a proven market. They seem to be a company that puts out various products that are similar to what is already available and successful in the marketplace. Maybe with added features here or there but nothing risky.

Consumers, who's well being Samsung seems to be very worried about, don't need another phone that's kinda like what's already available. F- the iPhone and Android phones. Invent something completely different and new.Take a chance for a change.

applebook

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2009
Been a member here for more than a decade. I strongly disagree with this jury, the trade dress and some of these patents, not all.

I have bought my last Apple product. I will not support Apple again. I'm sure they will continue to make huge profits. I just won't contribute to them.

Apple, next time you're down in the dumps like you were in 96, I won't be the loyal customer I was. Your trade dress is simply ridiculous. I frankly can't believe it was upheld.

You're too holy for us. This isn't just business for you, apparently. You're some holy man/woman.

Next time you consider buying anything at all, do some research into the company's background...you'll probably end up buying nothing from any company, since your righteousness would condemn your supporting a corporation that isn't as holy as thee.

All of your future purchases will have to be homemade...by nuns and monks.

Melab

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Why, because apple has patents to protect their products and designs from copy cat companies?

God forbid a company stands up for whats legally theirs right?

It may be theirs legally, but that does not mean it should be.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Does anyone think Apple will really win in the long run or will Samsung pass the price on to them?

Apple’s reliance on Samsung chips for its best-selling phones and tablets will be worth as much as $7.5 billion to Samsung this year, a 60 percent jump from 2011, according to estimates from Gartner Inc., an industry researcher based in Stamford, Connecticut.

Apple accounts for about 9 percent of Samsung’s revenue, making it the company’s largest customer, according to a Bloomberg supply-chain analysis.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...fringed-each-other-s-patents-seoul-court-says

cankster

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003

I cant believe your considered sentient. So I guess were even.

sjestus

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2001
Florida
you've got this backwards! what it means is that Samsung and others will either have to innovate new & better products, or pay Apple for the right to use their patented technology. You're saying you'd rather buy an inferior copy of a product than an original? Why not save yourself a small fortune & invest in a Chinese HiPhone knock-off instead?

If the new iPhone is simply an elongation of the current model, it should be easy for an innovative company as large as Samsung to trump it with fresh thinking ..should it not?

And hopefully this does create further innovation. Apple will most likely faulter at furthering the development of the iPhone and continue to ride on the success of what it's had so far without any more major changes. Much like Microsoft experienced in the 90s/early 00s with Windows.

Still, IP protections and copyright laws need to be adjusted. You could be sued for a product you invented (yet, you had no intention of copying the company you allegedly copied from) and lose everything. This ruling gives total power to wealthy corporations who monopolize the system to their benefit.

Melab

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
You're too holy for us. This isn't just business for you, apparently. You're some holy man/woman.

Next time you consider buying anything at all, do some research into the company's background...you'll probably end up buying nothing from any company, since your righteousness would condemn your supporting a corporation that isn't as holy as thee.

All of your future purchases will have to be homemade...by nuns and monks.

Is it not good to aspire to be righteous?

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
Good things they no can doing this in China. Here Apple can on being number one if people's liking their phone better thanks Samsung. That is why China booming they don't letting lawyers controlling the country. To day is nothin big lose for USA.

cankster

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
It amazes me how mis-informed people like you are. Let me paint you a simple picture.......

You own a small business and one day you have a brilliant idea for a new product that nobody else has.......

1) You design the new product and have it patented ( to protect your new idea ).

2) You sell this new product and make billions of dollars

3) Another company comes along and steals your design by almost copying it identically. Ultimately costing your company billions of dollars in lost sales

4) You take this company to court to defend your product, patent and billions in lost sales.

5) You win becuase the patents of said product belongs to YOU.

ITS ILLEGAL TO COPY PATENTED PRODUCTS OR DESIGNS !!!!!!!!!!!

Get it now?

I have said it once, will say it again, this is the devils talk!!! :p

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay

over 10 years and you've learned nothing.

Go ahead, design and patent something that sells for billions - I can't wait to copy it and make billions for myself from your initial effort ..afterall, you won't mind will you? :rolleyes:

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Very good points. Although, any type of "invention" or "innovation" now days could be considered a ripoff of anything similar, even it it's not directly a copy. For this, IP and copyright laws should be adjusted accordingly.

Think outside the box. There is more than one way to make a phone. Before the iPhone would you have said the same about cell phones? Would you have said is there is no other way to make a smart phone without a full keyboard and directional pad? Apple found a way to, and someone else can find another?

It may be theirs legally, but that does mean it should be.

...what?

You may have bought your car legally, but that doesn't mean it should be yours.

Does anyone think Apple will really win in the long run or will Samsung pass the price on to them?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...fringed-each-other-s-patents-seoul-court-says

Because it makes business sense to not only lose out on 1.05 billion dollars, but also risk losing 9% of your overall income. Of course in Samsung's case this might make sense to them.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
so you are going to go for a lesser phone just to spite a company that doesn't affect your life?

How is that different than blindly buying an iPhone as millions of consumers do, just because it was made by Apple. Most don't much about it at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.