Apple and Samsung Still in Settlement Talks, 'No Indication' of Imminent Agreement

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple and Samsung have been in settlement negotiations following Apple's victory in a patent lawsuit last year, according to The Wall Street Journal. This contradicts a report from last November that said Samsung was not interested in settling with Apple.

The talks included face-to-face meetings in Seoul and reportedly came close to a resolution in February, but have since "cooled off". The sides remain in discussions, according to The WSJ.

[​IMG]
    The most recent development in Apple v. Samsung was the scheduling of a new damages trial for November, after Judge Lucy Koh ruled that the original jury may not have had a clear understanding of the patent issues. She said this resulted in a lump sum award that did not distinguish between patent violations, making it impossible for the court to determine which part of the damages were applicable to each patent.

Article Link: Apple and Samsung Still in Settlement Talks, 'No Indication' of Imminent Agreement

2. macrumors 601

HiRez

I wonder if the new agreement for Samsung to produce future Apple Ax chips has anything to do with this.

3. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I hope Apple and Samsung can come to an agreement. There's been way too much time and money wasted on legal issues.

Besides, Samsung makes great displays ;)

4. macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

Flame on.

Why is this on the Front Page? I want to read about Mac rumors, not what lawyers of wealthy multinational conglomerates do to keep themselves on the clock. :rolleyes:

5. macrumors regular

I think companies have a right to prevent others from using their ideas in their products.

I understand that many people disagree with the way the patent system works, but that is something to take up with congress and the patent office.

I don't think that it is fair to coerce Apple into a cross licensing agreement, especially when it is Samsung that has been repeatedly found by the court system to infringe on Apple's patents. The only patents Samsung have made progress on legally are SEP patents, which they are legally required to license to others.

That is to say, Apple hasn't been shown to use Samsung's non-SEP technology, thus Samsung would benefit hugely from a cross license agreement while Apple would see almost no benefit from being able to use Samsung's patents.

6. macrumors member

Yawn

No indication of imminent interest. I wish I had patented the business litigation process.

7. macrumors member

PlanetFree

You mean LG make great displays copysung just copy LG tec and use it for their own devices. :)

8. macrumors 6502a

Well in the case of the RMBP, Samsung does make superior displays.

9. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Exactly. That's what I was referring to. One just has to look at all the threads where people are exchanging rMBP's to get one with a Samsung display.

10. macrumors newbie

You want to read about Mac rumours, others want the latest Apple related news - the site is for all, not just one person. These legal issues do waste a lot of money but hopefully there are better times ahead when licensing and intellectual property issues have clearer boundaries and this current mess amongst IT vendors and innovators becomes historic.

I'm fed up of hearing about the next new iPhone and pictures of batteries as the next new iPhone is inevitable rather than hot news!! Now if there were rumours that Apple was looking at the possibility of making a car with a wrap around 50" display instead of a windscreen..............

11. macrumors 6502

FirstNTenderbit

You shouldn't do that. Sort of makes you a little silly. I don't know many who argue the quality of Samsung's components.

12. macrumors 6502

i hope they reach an agreement because most of the iphones, ipods etc. used samsung's chips, displays etc. which were pretty good, their quality can be trusted.

13. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

+1

...and great SSDs (not only 2.5"), RAM, et cetera...

14. macrumors 6502

whatever they do, i dont want apple to choose LG as their supplier, LG's equipment is 'CHEAP!'

15. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Agreed and agreed. NO one questions the quality of SAMSUNG components; it's the ethics of their business dealings, some people have a problem with.

Here's hoping.....

We'd definitely wanna hear about that!

Agreed on both counts.

Apple has been using some of SAMSUNG's frand patents, but APPLE claims that SAMSUNG was not willing to be reasonable, in licensing those SE patents.

I do agree that a blanket cross-licensing agreement would most likely benefit SAMSUNG much more, than it would APPLE, as most of the latter's patents in contention, were non-frand.

16. macrumors 603

thekev

You mean Hitachi designed something great, and LG just made a cheaper less stable version:p.

It's a joke regarding the history of IPS in case anyone is wondering.

17. macrumors 68030

needfx

18. macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

19. JAT
    macrumors 603

And Sharp made a more expensive, less stable version. :p

20. macrumors 6502

i hope this doesn't affect their SoCs deal, samsung chips have always worked flawlessly on every iphone.

21. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is a typical dance. Judges always push litigants to settle, and neither party wants to appear uncooperative to the court. But that doesn't mean either side really wants to settle.

22. macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

As mentioned Samsung make great TVs, I've had two sets in 15 years both great build quality, kids smashing them etc.. and never broken, same with their displays and SSD's, good quality.

I actually believe i don't particularly care for the company not so much because of the company themselves (though I do a bit) but mainly because of the trolls that come on and post and claim Apple owe their existence to Samsung, naming no names;)

23. macrumors 603

Is this whole infringement thing constantly 'flip-flopping'??
    One minute, it was destined that Apple was gonna make up, now its different.