Apple and Sony Cell chip alliance predicted

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Feb 15, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I feel both good and apprehensive about this, it is a wait and see for me, I don't get to drive!
    the potential for great things is high, I wonder if this effects the "after Jobs" era to come?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Funny, I was just a bit pessimistic as to the possibility of a Cell driven Mac in this related thread, but now I might get my hopes up after all... :rolleyes: ;)

3. wwillie2 macrumors newbie

No surprise

The Cell processor is based on the Power processor (the G5). So it should not be a surprise to anyone that Apple will use the Cell processor for future devices. And I say devices because I do not want to limit it to workstations and laptops. IBM is using the Cell in workstations, Sony is using it in the PS3, but Toshiba is using it in plasma TVs. Who knows how Apple plans on using the Cell. Maybe they will use it in workstations and laptops. Maybe OSX will be the operating system in the PS3. Apple seems to be really high on HD, so maybe it's related to that. Maybe a DVD+R featuring Blu-ray and running OSX. Who knows!
    I do know that it is virtually inevitable that Apple will be using the Cell processor.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Unfortunately the evidence is weak (a stock analyst's guess), but the potential is obvious, and has been debated at length here.

It would certainly be good for Apple to get the Cell in its computers, but that will only happen after Sony and Apple strike a deal. Sony has a sizable wintel computer division, so I don't know how they would work together, seeing as Steve has no intention to license the Mac OS. Antother option I see would be to expand iTunes onto Sony hardware, but again Sony has it's own service there.

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well Apple and Sony were working together on some kind of operating a system a year or two back, so it is not out of the question.