Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
That's nice, but I think that Spotify beats it, though. Tens of millions of songs. You can save songs for offline usage. There is no skip limit, you can play as many songs in a row as you want and it's updated on a regular basis.

So in other words, it's no different than my iPod and I don't have to bother saving them for offline use. The only difference is is that I have all the songs I wanted already. I still have access to new music even though I haven't bought all that much in the last 4 years or so mostly because I have all I want. I haven't got into much of the music over the past few years. When I listen to streaming apps, it's for classic rock, all of which I already have.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So how's that MiniDisc working out for you, Sony?

Oooo I had a MiniDisc player back in the 90's while serving abroad. That thing was awesome and I used it a lot while traveling. Then when digital MP3 players came out, I stopped using it. But for the few years I had it, it was great.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Honestly, this is the same way as Last.fm and I have no problem with it. I'll either go back and forth between My Mix, My Recommended, or My Library. If done right, I very rarely skip songs.

I'd much prefer a system like a radio over a Spotify. If I want to listen to an album, I'll just buy it on iTunes.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Apple should just do what spotify, pandora and google are doing that way people can continue complaining about them not being ahead of the game and playing catch up. :apple:

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Don't want to listen to songs you don't want to listen to? Well, don't.

There are thousands if not millions of unspoiled singers, interpreters groups, bands or other creators which are not bound to a label, brand, producer or distributer. Give them some money and get really, really good music. Buy the CDs or some of them even distribute online.

It's not that difficult.

Or is it?

Looks like several million people think it is too difficult.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Spotify isnt radio. It's essentially like iTunes. You have playlists, you can even play iTunes playlist. It has the added benefit of allowing you to play pretty much any music out there. There's no restrictions on how many times, or for how long or any nonsense like that. It's pretty much as perfect as that kind of service can get, and unless Apple can undercut it, theres no point in them trying.

Download it and try it - the free version is just as good, just with a 30 second advert after every few songs
Spotify is free. You arent forced to pay for it.

Haha I use spotify every day. And I'm paying for it. In fact my iPhone is almost out of space from all the offline music I have in my Spotify app. I just never got round to using the radio station feature so was curious if the free version lets you skip as much as you want.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
the labels should be charging the providers for skipped songs. If it wasn't listened to, then you don't need to get paid.

This is about partially listening to a song and then skipping to it.

Wouldn't it be easy to implement a log of at what point a song was skipped and then pay that percentage of the full licencing fee? They're already tracking that songs are being started, why not when they are stopped, too? Then use that data to calculate the percentages to be paid. That would be invaluable data to measure popularity by.

----------

So how's that MiniDisc working out for you, Sony?

And the company that quietly installed RootKits onto PCs.

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
I believe that Apple has more than enough street cred to be able to launch without Sony, and Sony would end up looking petty and foolish.

More and more consumers are starting to correctly blame the media companies for a lack of forward progress on intelligent and meaningful digital content delivery. Apple proved every single naysayer wrong when they launched the iTunes store. Watching the so-called entertainment companies try to negotiate while the underground entertainment delivery industry booms is a laughingstock.

saggsy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
Australia
Not sure if its been said yet but what about 'timed skips' which means the person has to listen to 15 - 30 seconds of a track and can then skip it if they want, or if they press skip the song still has to play out for 15-30 secs before auto skipping.

Kind of like those ads in YouTube that you can skip after 5 seconds.

That way the song gets to 'advertise' itself for a bit and then by that stage the person may get into the song enough to keep listening.

Just a thought.

saggsy

Renzatic

Suspended
Apples version will be free. That is why it will instantly become the largest streaming service the day it launches.

It will likely be a much improved version of pandora and be free.

It'll be bigger than Pandora, but still won't come close to matching Spotify, which also has a nearly unrestricted free option, and comes closest to the "streaming iTunes" route everyone wants Apple to take.

Apple can't half ass it. If they want to be the number one music streaming service around, they'll have to not only match both Spotify and Pandora in one neat package, but also offer even more to compel people to switch. It won't be easy for them.

Jinx92

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that people spend on average 40 dollars a year on iTunes Music. 15*12 is 180 dollars.

Yes, how very accurate of you. I doubt they're targeting the market of people who want to buy/own their music.

As for the article I can see Apple paying a fair bit, they need to launch something to target spotify.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
This is exactly why Spotify >>>>>> Pandora. Listen to any songs you want instead of some stupid randomly generated playlist

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Gee, Sony being a total jerk when it comes to consumer control and media licensing? Why does that not surprise me in the least.

I remember the era, long ago, when Sony was a cool company that did cool things. Then the greedy, thuggish media branch of the sprawling empire got so greedy they beat the hardware half of the company to death, the perfect example being how they hamstrung the Walkman completely out of existence in the digital era, desperately trying to force ATRAC (ironic that it sounds like 8-track if you say it out loud) on consumers who had no interest in it whatsoever.

Not to mention the whole Minidisc thing, which sold about five units outside Japan as far as I know, and within Japan only ever worked because of the rental CD market (which itself functions because of the big studio hegemony getting away with charging the equivalent of $30 for an album).

At this point, nothing Sony does wrong surprises me anymore, and I cringe every time I see a Playstation exclusive game or Sony album I actually want to spend money on.

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
The free version of Spotify limits skips as well. Looks like Apple is interested in doing a free streaming service with ads instead of a paid one.

Spotify free also has a skip limit. Paid Spotify probably doesn't, but when the user is paying, the record company gets a cut of their monthly fee so they don't care about skips.

The Radio feature of Spotify free has a skip limit of 5, while the "listen to any song you want" feature doesn't.

I really don't see why anyone would want to use Pandora when there's Spotify. Really. I've been trying to find a reason, but there's none. I don't get it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Speak for yourself. I often LOVE just turning on the radio and letting someone else play stuff for me. It keeps me from having to decide what to play, and helps me discover new music too.

Having a choice (either decide what to hear, or let someone else do so) is great. Radio rocks, when it's not the crapola commercial radio has become.

RADIO?

This is 2013. We don't want a passive listening experience and to listen to whatever "is on". If I'm in the mood to listen to Blondie, then let me play whatever Blondie track I want whenever I want. That is how Spotify works and I love that model. We already have radio in the form of radio apps which play music from stations as well as Pandora. Pandora is frustrating because you have to listen to what it gives you and you can only skip so many times.

Apple is late to this game, and now they are going to just give us a glorified radio with a passive listening experience? FAIL.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Won't use and don't want.

I'd much rather own all the music I listen to, than stream it.
I'd much rather find all the music I listen to, than be given it.
I'd much rather discover bands to listen to, than be told about the next big thing. (Or how someone does a similar but crap job similar to another artist who writes that style of music perfectly already).

Radio is dead. iRadio, I won't use. Rather keep my 40'000+ song collection and add to it, than pay a rate per month like a cable television channel, which ultimately will give me access to the 90% crap already out there I don't want, meanwhile paying artists pittance, let alone the people who record and produce the stuff.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
No one seems to be able to stop Sony from its lust for self inflicted wounds...

Imagine where Sony would be if they let their WalkMan division a freer playing field rather than handcuffing them, and destroying an obviously excellent product line... Will they never learn. Apple is offering them a lifeline, and they refuse it over 'skipped songs'. Is Apple to keep track of every bleeding song that anyone listens to so they can divvy up the fractions of a penny because I 'skipped' a Justin Bieber track? Get a grip people (at Sony)...

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
The problem is that this would destroy the iTunes download business. Would those $15 fees make up for that? I doubt it.

The moment that a company starts worrying about cannibalizing their own product lines is the moment that another company steps in and eats their lunch.

If this is something consumers want then Apple better start providing it because otherwise Spotify, Google, Rdio, etc. are going to go ahead anyway.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Dear Sony grunt watching this thread:

This type of business practice is why I stopped buying any Sony product whatsoever.
Side note: I also switched from PS to Xbox years ago.

I'm never coming back and I hope apple released iRadio without you.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
No one wants a bloody radio ffs.

Just give me itunes entire library to stream in spotify form and you would get up to $15 a month out of me.

So you want to pay Apple $15 a month to do something you can do TODAY FOR FREE by simply copying your iTunes library onto all your various devices (a task made even easier with iTunes in the Clouds)? And you'd rather have a service that gives you lower quality audio and uses up cell bandwidth (which you'll then ALSO have to pay for.)

I honestly do not understand the obsession people have with streaming...

----------

About as well as Lisa is working for Apple. What did you expect?

Really? ABOUT as well? You mean the Lisa, which led in a straight line to the Mac to OSX to iOS has done as well for Apple as the Minidisk has done for Sony? The Minidisk which led in a straight line to uh, what exactly? Sony's thriving F800 "Walkman"? The incredibly profitable Experia line?

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
They want to get paid for the songs people don't listen to? Of all the money grubbing, piece of greedy crap moves, this is the stupidest thing .

Clark: "Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is! Hallelujah! Holy ****! Where's the Tylenol?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.