Apple and Star Office (Sun)

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 26, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

CNet reports that Apple and Sun are cooperating on a version of Sun's Star Office for Mac OS X.

The partnership is expected to produce a Java-based version of OpenOffice by the end of the year, followed by a commercial StarOffice release sometime in 2003.

"I think you can see OpenOffice running solid on OS X by the end of this calendar year," said Tony Siress, Sun's senior director of desktop marketing solutions.

The article suggests that this may further fracture the Apple-Microsoft relationship which has seen recent tensions, with some rumors suggesting Apple may be bolstering their own offerings with an updated AppleWorks.

2. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Finally! :)

My dad uses it on his Linux box and it's great. Stable and robust, it's a great apps suite.

It's the only thing that has kept MS Word etc, off of my Hard Drive. :D

Glad that they are bringing it to Mac OS X.

3. macrumors 6502a

MS aren't going to be happy

MS aren't going to be happy about this...

MS Office is Microsoft's flagship product and OpenOffice is its only real challanger. The thing about OpenOffice is that it needs some work... Sun kicked off OpenOffice. Hopefully Apple can make itself viewed as a good citizen of the Open Source Development Community and continue OOorg's development -- not just to get an OS X version out the door, but rather to improve the suite itself.

August shouldn't just be the ending of the Apple-MS marrige, it should be a divorce.

4. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Re: MS aren't going to be happy

No one expects them to be.

Personally I would rather use Open Office than Word et al.

By bringing Open Office to Mac OS X, Apple is finally getting away from the propietary apps and file formats that have been associated with MS Office.

Heck, I really don't think that it's going to be that bad anyways. Open Office can open and save files that Word can read.

Heh, Microsoft does not like the competition? What else is new? :)

5. macrumors 6502a

I've used OpenOffice on Windows and Linux, and I think it's a great system, a true (FREE) competitor to Office. It even came bundled on my Dad's eMachine!

Apple: Go Get 'Em. Time to start taking apart the Microsoft Monopoly .NETwork piece by piece (or should I say Framework by Framework?)

6. macrumors member

Good riddance

I'm personally tired of MS throwing fits like a 4 year old when something doesn't go their way. Look at the new 'switchers' adds. Does anyone else remember something that came out of the MS trials? When Apple started shipping Netscape standard with their OS MS execs were thinking of a way to break the news to people of no more Office dev. for mac. I also think MS needs Apple more then the reverse (especially with OS X being Unix based). The fact that there is competition keeps them from being immediatly branded a monopoly. So my take is good bye MS the only thing I needed you for was Office and that will soon end :)

A@ron

7. macrumors 6502a

You've got to love that quote :)

8. macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

This will be good...especially the idea that it's free...

9. macrumors regular

My Question is

My question for everyone is, now that we know Apple is doing MORE than its part to create both a free and opensourced competitor to Microsoft's grossly overpriced and underpowered proprietary office suite, does everyone still wish them death for overcharging us for OS X.2 ?

Truth Hertz

10. job
    macrumors 68040

job

If they offer Open Office as a free download, I won't complain at all at coughing up $129 for Jaguar. :)

11. macrumors regular

It could happen

Thats what Sun wants to do apparently. Atleast 300 hundred dollars worth of "Macintosh Office" dripping with Quartzy goodness delivered to us at some point, for FREE. Hopefully it only runs on 10.2 to make all the whiners feel like they got something, and all the holdouts sick with envy.

Truth Hertz....

12. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm not familiar with Openoffice, what microsoft apps does it have a competitors with? Word, Excel, I'd think not powerpoint, anyway I can't wait.

13. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i've used staroffice on linux b4, everythings integrated (word processing/webpage app/email/presentation/etc) and its pretty good, but on windows its just slow :-\ but that was v5.2 so it'dd probably change since then (concidering its at 6.0)

bout time sun got into the office market for macs ;)

14. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Whoah, loads of functions, I'll get it as soon as it is released. I could replace eudora and ms office all in one swipe ;)

15. macrumors regular

Staroffice 6.0 isn't free anymore, I think it costs $100.

16. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Still way cheaper than M$ Office, will it be cocoa or carbon? If they are writing it from scratch with should be cocoa right?

17. macrumors regular

RE: Stuff

The programs are neither cocoa or carbon I believe. This whole deal is suposed to be written in Java. That that means for the cocoa or cocoa/carbon exclusive features for applications, I have no idea. But I'm thinking that there would have to be some draw backs. Like not being able to access services and other little stuff.

Also, StarOffice isn't free at this time. But they're so eager to try to screw MS that "the guy" said he wanted Apple to bundle it for no cost. OpenOffice however will be free...I think....

Truth Hertz....

Exchange server support, database prog....those would be the best features.

18. macrumors 6502a

They're certainly not going to write it from scratch.

StarOffice already exists... It will definentally be a carbon app, not cocoa. i'm sure apple's going to put a good effort into it but to rewrite an office suite from scratch in Cocoa would be a massive undertaking and for the majority of users, would provide little benifit.

In reponse to a question asked before, StarOffice *does* have a PowerPoint equiv.

It would be really cool if after an OS X version came out, Apple helped out Sun and the Open Source Dev Community with continuing to develop StarOffice/OOorg.

19. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Thanks for clearing that up, does anybody have screen shots of the linux version, I know it won't look the same as the mac version but I'm just interested.

20. macrumors 6502

The one problem with bundling Star Office is that it could affect Filemaker sales because of the database application...unless they of course unbundle it. OpenOffice does not include the database application but it also does not include the fonts and such that Sun was pointing out needs to be licensed and is in Star Office which is one reason for it not being free.

I think it would be great if Apple bundled one of them with some decent fonts on their systems. It would certainly send a message through the industry. Of course what I would rather see is Apple buying Star Office from Sun. I don't think Sun should have ever gotten involved in the desktop business. It's not their thing. They're just desperate to battle MS's cash cow to stem the momentum a bit of MS using that money to operate on other fronts that can hurt Sun.

21. macrumors regular

Star office is the commercial, proprietory version of open office (which is free - http://www.openoffice.org/ ). Staroffice costs - mainly because businesses wouldnt trust a 'free' application. I dunno about anyone here, but I've not been THAT impressed so far - yes its good (better than appleworks) but its not an m$ killer yet. Certainly the spreadsheet is not as comprehensive as Excel. The java bit makes me shudder though... :(

If anyone sees losing office as a good thing, I think their heads are up their bums! :) of course sun will make a big deal about this - they have nothing to benefit from anything m$ does, and their relationship is frosty at best. I just hope apple doesnt get caught in the acrimonious cross fire of these two firms.....

22. macrumors newbie

Tricky Deal

While I applaud Apple's efforts to bring wonderful applications like StarOffice to OS X, I cannot help but wonder what this will do to the Apple-Microsoft relationship. I know that many people have commented on the fact that, "Finally, I can drop Microsoft Office for this!", but the fact that OS X runs Office v.X has been a major selling point for many users, and is featured on virtually every sales document they produce.

What would happen to the users who were convinced to buy a Mac because you could get Office for Mac? I know that StarOffice is compatible with .doc files, but Joe Sixpack doesn't want StarOffice for his .doc files; he wants Microsoft Office, like the rest of the world (as he sees it.) It seems like Apple is potentially tarnishing their relationship with Microsoft buy sleeping with the neighbor down the street that never really got along with Microsoft (in sales/competition terms.)

23. macrumors regular

Enough Juice to Last

I doubt MS will pull the plug under almost any circumstances. They know people will still buy MS Office before StarOffice. Plus, they can't justify the withdrawal because they're position won't be challenge for a long time.

But even if they do, all Apple has to do is not screw up the perfomance of Office vX in new OS releases. Look at the big picture. Most people haven't upgraded to vX because they're still satisfied with 2001. So whats to say that vX won't still be a selling point a few months after they officially drop support. As long as their are retail copies out there...heh..thats kinda stretching it. But we know we have atleast one more version of the software in the pipeline. Any repercussions this might have on Office vX is in the pretty distant future at best.

Truth Hertz....so I'm not hearing it.

24. macrumors regular

Lets not forget also that Microsoft was found to be a monopoly who abused their monopoly power by the courts. While not a whole lot was done to them the ruling itself is key. The ruling sets a precedent whereby competitors can sue Microsoft for harm done on the basis of that ruling.

So what does that mean for Apple? It means unless microsoft can show they were actually losing money on sales of Microsoft Office they have no excuse for pulling the product. Apple would win big time. So you might see another settlement thing again where Microsoft would agree to make the product for another period of time in exchange for settling the lawsuit.

As for StarOffice/ OpenOffice for Mac its a start. Appleworks is only on the Mac platform. Staroffice and Openoffice are multiplatform like MS Office. Star Office and Open Office are one better because they are usable with other flavors of Linux whereas MS Office is not. There is room to build that mindshare and market share there. Linux users forced to use MS Windows will use StarOffice or Open Office where they can. It will spread.

25. macrumors newbie

Star/ Open Office discussion

If anyone knows how Star or Open Office does, sales wise, on the PC, that would tell us volumes about its potential adoption rate on the Mac. (I suspect it's small)

Anti-Microsoft people are a small market, and the people at Apple, Sun and Microsoft know this.

The real reason for people to switch to Sun's product, en-mass, on mac or pc, is that it a) saves money (which it would), b) is compelling in it's feature set (which it sounds like it is not (just roughly equivilant), c) is a safe decision (lots of other people have already switched. I'd give this product very low probability of deep penetration given the above.

What I really think Apple is doing, is buying insurance from the threats Microsoft is known to do. Without an Office app, Apple is in deep do-do, unless they "cave" to Microsofts's threats/demands. With a variety of offerings, Apple has options to manuver, and we all know the recent quote about them liking options.

Frankly I think that Microsoft only responds to companies that hold a strong hand, and Apple is strenghtening their hand. Apple wants more features in Microsoft Office for the price (or a lower price) as well as more Microsoft software titles published on the Mac. Microsoft has no incentive to do this unless they feel threatened, and that's the hand Apple is building.

Thoughts?