Apple and Toshiba

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

ThinkSecret reports that Apple is upset with Toshiba for revealing that their new 60GB 1.8" drive will be used by Apple in upcoming iPods in July-August.
    This information was released in an IDG news article on Wednesday.

2. macrumors newbie

I can understand. I know that I will probably wait to buy mine now. Things like this can hurt sales.

3. macrumors member

4. macrumors regular

deepkid

Poor Cindy

The quote just seemed unbelievable. Anyone that's done business with Apple would know better.

As it was said in other reports around the web about this, perhaps it was said off-record, paraphrased or assumed since it's believed that Toshiba already provides drives for the big pod.

5. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hehe, I can really imagine Steve Jobs sitting in his office throwing something through the room, because one of his secrets was revealed.

Honestly, why is Apple this secretive? Even if Toshiba didn't say that the harddisks were for Apple, everyone would have guessed so and it's not like we don't buy anymore, because there might be a 60GB in the future, because a size bump has been quite probable.

But Apple's anger points to a release that is quite a bit away.

6. macrumors 6502a

Did we need a quote?

Did we really need a quate from Toshiba to guess that these would find their way into an iPod? I would have just figured that out all by myself.

But Toshiba can relax now - after posting the new G5 photos (if real - we will know when they get pulled by Apple)... Apple Insider can take away some of the heat!

7. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

This sucks, I hope it doesn't hurt Toshiba's relaionship with Apple, I don't want to pay $350 for a mini.

8. macrumors 68020

SeaFox

Oh grow up, Apple!

It's not like it was some big secret you were going to update the iPod in the Fall. What does this reveal about the new iPod? It has a larger capacity than current models? Wow! What a revelation! Boy, Toshiba just blew that secret right out of the hat!

I mean, I though they might get better battery life, and there's those rumblings about photo display on a TV, but higher capacities???? NO!

9. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apple acts like a big spoiled baby. its about time they stopped playing spy vs spy and start making better products. serves them right. Are they a computer company or a security agency???

10. macrumors 65816

stcanard

1) I assume Apple has a confidentiality agreement with Toshiba. If so, this isn't just someone in a bad mood griping, but a breach of contract.

2) With everybody and their Uncle Microsoft gunning for the iPod right now, it's not reassuring to have other companies blabbing details about upcoming products to the press. What's next, Samsung releasing their new mini-colour LCD "as used in the upcoming video iPod <oops, was that my outside voice>"?

This might be harmless, but it shows a weakness in the chain. What if Apple was planning to go with Hitachi drives, and the Toshiba announcement is premature? Will the (stock) market react negatively if they think Apple changed it's mind because of a leaked release?

A contract breach is serious stuff.

11. macrumors regular

Well, I just bought a 15GB, but I'm not sad about it. That'll be more than I'll ever need anyway. I decided not to wait. :D

12. macrumors regular

deepkid

Nope. Most of the rumors these days are about evolutionary things. One would assume that as technology progresses and allows for larger capacity in an existing or smaller form, it would be implemented. However, affirmation of that larger capacity too far ahead of Apple's release plans could possibly hurt sales.

You'd have to wonder how many consumers outside of us rumor geeks really know or care about this. I'd think the universe of potential customers who are oblivious to rumors for iPods and other gadgets is larger than the computer hardware/software universe. There's crossover, but it would seem like there are more non-computer geek types picking up interest in the iPod family.

So maybe no true harm done and they're still drooling over minis.

I can remember when I got my first gen pod in Nov '01. During my commute (which goes down Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago), there were hardly any pods to spot. This went on for maybe a year and a half and then you'd start to see a few here and there. We'd nod at one another and smile.

Now just about everywhere you turn, you'll spot a regular pod or a mini, which is cool. I definitely believe that Apple's Michigan Avenue Store was one of the smartest marketing strategies the company's implemented in this region.

13. macrumors 65816

alset

Time Canada and the iMac

Reminds me of the flat panel iMacs appearing on the Time Canada web page before Macworld Expo. Steve was noticeably irritated when he made the announcement the next day.

Dan

edit: I believe that same thing also happened with ATI, right?

14. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Amen. Its not like anyone who is on these boards didn't know that Apple wouldn't upgrade the iPod anyways and would end up waiting anyways and for those who don't pay attention to these boards and the news they are going to simply go and buy an Ipod anyways. Hurt sales? Not likely more like hurt ego. Hey Jobs! Grow the heck up! He is just pissed that he isn't going to be the one to make the announcement at WWDC. BOO HOO. :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Teehehe, I would have to agree. I mean its not really that big of a deal. Almost anyone who reads this info, already knows that Toshiba just anounced the 60 gig HD, and that it would prob find its way into the iPod sometime soon. People were either going to wait for it, or say screw it 60 gigs is too much, and buy one now. It doesn't change much.

16. macrumors newbie

Typical Apple Obsession with security

Toshiba have other clients for their drives and have every right to announce publically that they have a 60gb drive coming.
    Once that cat is out of the bag it is blatantly obvious that 60gb iPods are not far away, so I don't see that they gave away any of Apple's secrets.

17. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Ditto. Big freakin' deal. It was inevitable that there would be bigger HD's, and we're supposed to think Apple wouldn't be putting them in the iPod? Please... :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 65816

mgargan1

actually, apple gets their ipod mini harddrives from hitachi, not toshiba...

19. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Well, it might be a big deal if apple doesn't plan on using it in a new iPod but rather a NEWTON running OS X. Newton running OS X here I come.

20. macrumors regular

deepkid

Perspective

That's a great business perspective and I would agree. As a stockholder, the last thing you'd want to see is Apple having to address pent up demand for regular iPods because customers were waiting for larger drives that haven't been released yet. That, in addition to the company struggling to meet the global iPod mini demand wouldn't be pretty.

It's definitely not about Apple being secretive just for the sake of being secretive. It's a required practice for a company that's perceived as a perpetual underdog in the technology arena. Apple needs all of the leverage that it can get to beat away its competitors.

21. macrumors regular

Apple isn't running around and screaming that they aren't happy. People here are accusing how immature Apple is, based on a rumor. I wonder who are immature here, really.

22. macrumors regular

And may soon be getting their regular iPod drives from Hitachi as well...

23. macrumors member

Gimme a break

Hurt sales indeed. What a crock. You think that Toshiba announces a microdrive that's currently used in the iPods, but with a 60GB capacity, and nobody can figure out that Apple is going to use them in the next revisions of the iPod? HA!

Steve is just upset to not get the spotlight on this. Anybody with a brain can figure out that Apple would be buying these new drives.

It's just more crap about keeping everything so secret. Yeah, those G5s are just flying out the door, because you haven't announced an upgrade. What a joke.

Get over it, Apple.

24. macrumors regular

WHOA, WE NEVER THOUGHT THE HARD DRIVE WOULD GET BIGGER!!!!! OMG MY HEART CAN'T TAKE THAT KIND OF SURPRISE!!!!! :)

ahem.

This is such a silly story that I can't help but roll my eyes. Are Apple and Toshiba two teenage girls having a spat or something now?

25. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well this means for ppl who follow rumors the ipod sales may be affected because people will hold off; but most people dont research it

but apple has always been secretive i think their suppliers should get witht he program and keep tight lipped when they can