Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Any rumours on Apple licensing capacity off Intel? Global Foundries (formally the fab division of AMD) might also be a partner in the future given the rumours not too long ago regarding Apple employees around the AMD campus.

Problem is that Intel wants to increase its level of involvement in the mobile space with Atom and Mefield etc platforms. Licensing their fabs to ARM licensees doesn't really help that overall goal. Intel could sell a ton of fab capacity to a lot of players if they wanted to. They don't want to because it's not in their ultimate best interest.

GloFo is interesting in their development of a FD-SOI process (which some argue all silicon has to go to eventually to continue scaling), but publicly known die sizes suggest that TSMC is actually quite denser on a given process than GloFo, Samsung et al. TSMC is really Apple's best option.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Problem is that Intel wants to increase its level of involvement in the mobile space with Atom and Mefield etc platforms. Licensing their fabs to ARM licensees doesn't really help that overall goal. Intel could sell a ton of fab capacity to a lot of players if they wanted to. They don't want to because it's not in their ultimate best interest.

GloFo is interesting in their development of a FD-SOI process (which some argue all silicon has to go to eventually to continue scaling), but publicly known die sizes suggest that TSMC is actually quite denser on a given process than GloFo, Samsung et al. TSMC is really Apple's best option.

Thank you for the correction - my understanding was that Intel wanted to be more or less a blind supplier of capacity but I could see the conflict of interests by supplying capacity to a competitors product that would undermine their own mobile strategy. It will be interesting to see how the Intel mobile CPU's perform once a mature Android emerges along with support from Microsoft - it seems that Intel is doing the 'x86 everywhere' vision which AMD announced almost 5 years ago IIRC.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Thank you for the correction - my understanding was that Intel wanted to be more or less a blind supplier of capacity but I could see the conflict of interests by supplying capacity to a competitors product that would undermine their own mobile strategy. It will be interesting to see how the Intel mobile CPU's perform once a mature Android emerges along with support from Microsoft - it seems that Intel is doing the 'x86 everywhere' vision which AMD announced almost 5 years ago IIRC.

Medfield has pulled them even and it's not even 22nm. It's going to get interesting if they can get traction. Problem for them is that SoC business is race to the bottom and they're a high margin consumer IC supplier comparatively.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I was hoping for an A7 iPad soon, but I guess if it is 28nm, it's skipping time again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.