Apple and Viruses/Worms

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jeremy.king, Aug 21, 2003.

1. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Given the worms in the news lately, I am surprised Apple hasn't tried to use this to their advantage.

Why doesn't apple advertise that they are not prone to all the so-called "Windows" worms more?

Heres my dreamed up ad narrated by Jeff Goldblum

<Flashing across screen>SoBig...I love you...etc...more names...and more

Won't get them on a mac. Can't.

From the makers of the worlds fastest personal computer and the most popular online music service, comes a virus free environment with no worries. Apple Computer.

Pause....<white screen>

Beats the 13 year old singing Eminem...

Anywho, enough night dreaming...Just wonder what others thought...and yeah yeah (to all you naysayers) I know there are Mac viruses out there, but nothing of this scale. thats for sure.
  2. xpormac macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2003

But then they would be lieing :D lol anyways...

I'm sure if they did that, it would entise someone to make a worm/virus that would rank on par to the windows version. ;)
  3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Its debatable.

Seriosly it holds its own, but I'm not sure about fastest.

Its is darn close tho.
  4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i think if apple started boasting about how "virus-free" mac os x is, that would entice people to start writing viruses and worms for it. no one wants that.
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Exactly. ;)

I also don't want Apple's marketshare to go beyond 5% for that reason.
  6. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Yeah, the reason there aren't many viruses made for Macs isn't because they're just that tight in security. They're good, but not invincible. It's because the people writing the viruses want them to spread to as many people as possible. Since 95% of the computers are on the same platform, it wouldn't make sense for them to write one for just Apple computers.
  7. alphaone macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2003
    <nevermind...someone already said it>

Why can't we delete our own posts?