Apple and Volkswagen?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wifi_cowboy, Dec 5, 2003.

1. wifi_cowboy macrumors newbie

Is it me, or does it seem that Volkswagen targets and/or shares the same conumer market as Apple? Just looking for your opinions. ;)

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I can totally see that. I know I'm possibly inviting flames with such brazen generalizations, but they both seem to cater to young people, yuppies if you will, who know quality. Sure, you could buy a Ford or Chevy, but for a little more you could get a well built, well designed Volkswagen. Same analogy with a Dell/Apple. I've owned a Volkswagen, and really tend to believe they are a cut above the rest. For a particular price bracket, I don't think you could get a better car. Japanese cars have the same, if not better quality, but lack "soul", which German cars exude in abundance. Same with Apple.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm not sure as much about the market--I think many Apple products share as much with Lexus, BMW, or Volvo as Volkswagen in terms of target market.

But I like MoparShaha's comment on "soul"--I think that's where the connect is.

Volkswagen's recent image is friendly, fun in a low-key way, and approchable--their TV ads aim this way, and the Beetle is by far the most "fun" and approchable car on the market in terms of visual style. This seems to be exactly the design philosophy behind Apple's consumer products, mainly the iMac and iPod (heck, the iMac even looks a bit like a Beetle with a funky haircut), hence the connect.

Young, lively, fun to look at without being overly flashy or ostentatious (like a Japanese sports car or a Cadillac or Alienware hardware), and definitely not boring or overly industrial (like an SUV or a smaller Japanese car).

Heck, Volkswagen's ads even looked a lot like Apple's for a while there.

The G5, on the other hand, is more like a Peterbuilt in terms of design--big, mean-looking, and industrial.

4. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

I have a Jetta, and I just purchased my second Mac today.

5. leet1 macrumors 6502

Re: Apple and Volkswagen?

Well they both put off a metrosexual vibe, lol

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Then, is it odd that I'm on my fourth Volkswagen and my fourth (well, kinda the fifth) Mac?

Currently, the less expensive Volkswagens are extremely good values, not something I would say about iMac. Still, the smart engineering seems equally helpful.