Apple and Yahoo In Talks Over Deeper iPhone Partnership

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple and Yahoo have been discussing how to integrate Yahoo's services more prominently in iOS, beyond powering the Weather and Stocks apps.

Yahoo also provides sports scores to Siri, but Yahoo has significant content deals related to news, sports and finance that could be tapped.
    The WSJ also says Yahoo would like to provide search results to Apple in Safari, but Microsoft's Bing search engine currently powers Yahoo Search and Apple has a long-term deal with Google as the default engine on iOS.

The paper did note that no deal is imminent, and negotiations appear to be in the very early stages. Former Google executive Marissa Mayer took over as the CEO of Yahoo recently and has been focusing a lot of energy on Yahoo's products and content, rather than its traditional strengths in advertising.

Article Link: Apple and Yahoo In Talks Over Deeper iPhone Partnership

2. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

Glad to see more integration in ios

3. macrumors 6502

Way to partner with a winner. Yahoo is about as popular as Alta Vista.

Let's see...
    Android is going to have a Facebook phone and Apple is going to have a Yahoo Phone.

I hear Netscape is looking into getting in on the action as well.

4. Contributing Editor

jlgolson

5. macrumors 601

Icaras

Two of the three major competitors in the mobile hardware space both own and operate their own search engine. If Apple doesn't want to get into the search business, at least strengthening their ties with Yahoo makes good business sense to me.

6. macrumors 68000

Porco

er… Yahoo have owned AltaVista since 2003, so not really.

7. macrumors 65816

japanime

I was one of the few people still using Yahoo — and enjoying the experience — until they recently destroyed their front end by pandering to the lowest common denominator of "news" junkies. Now, the Yahoo home page is crammed with celebrity scandals and link bait.

Perhaps an iOS/Yahoo partnership would look different. I'll reserve judgment until I see what they come up with, but I don't have high hopes.

8. macrumors 6502a

Yahoo Search is Bing; it isn't even a Yahoo product.

[​IMG]

Everything else it does is a clearing house for other people's content. Finance, weather, TV, etc all comes from someone else. Yahoo itself doesn't actually produce anything.

9. macrumors 6502a

I haven't used them in years. Be nice to see more integration though. Choice is good and not something you usually get from Apple :)

Out of curiosity, how much is yahoo worth now and are they still a target of acquisition ?

10. JAT
    macrumors 603

Let this not come about. Yahoo is such crap right now.

11. macrumors member

Can they discuss about updating the horrible weather app. We are stuck with it on the notification bar so they might as well vamp it up.

12. macrumors regular

dude - it's called sarcasm.....wow!

13. macrumors member

Apple, you start putting Yahoo on your phones and Samsung win another customer.

14. macrumors 68020

This is one of the things I love about Apple and iOS. Because Apple isn't trying to compete in every single thing on the web, they can and do partner with others and everyone wants to be on the iPhone. Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, you name it. I don't have to worry about turf squabbles like Microsoft and Google users are going through on WP and Android.

15. macrumors 601

Icaras

Yahoo has always been on the iPhone.

16. macrumors 65816

Yahoo is getting better and better, even Yahoo mail looks really nice.

17. macrumors 68020

Yah-Who?

18. macrumors 65816

Seriously though, if I ever see "Yahoo Search", or "Bing Search" on my iDevices, I'm out the door.

If for some inexplicable reason I wanted to go to Bing or Yahoo, I'd go via Google. Pretty much sums up those alternatives for the majority, I'd imagine.

19. macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

Think Flickr and other extended services.

20. macrumors P6

AltaVista was actually one of the great search engines of its day--and it was actually acquired by Yahoo!, so they are technically one and the same. ;-)

Netscape was also a great browser until it was simply pushed out by Internet Explorer as it got bundled with Windows and overshadowed Netscape just on number of "installs" by default. (With AOL at the helm of Netscape later on, didn't help either.) Then there's Mozilla and Firefox, all of which got its start with Netscape pretty much, and they are doing just fine these days.

21. macrumors 6502

Unless Mayer creates a Steve-Jobs-like turnaround for Yahoo, I'll stay with Google.

22. macrumors P6

Crap, like how?

23. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

They're only taking about the default search. You can already change which search engine Safari uses in Settings.

24. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Ah, so this is what Marissa and Jony were discussing last month. :D

[​IMG]

25. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Ya who?

Awe man, you beat me to it. :mad: