Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to lure Android switchers to the iPhone by offering them Apple gift cards in exchange for their Android devices, reports 9to5Mac. The gift cards will be available under a new recycling and trade-in program that will provide in-store credit for users who trade in old smartphones, including those that come from rival smartphone manufacturers.

The new program will work similarly to Apple's existing trade-in program, which provides users with gift cards for older Apple devices that can be used towards a new purchase. Value of the gift cards provided to Android switchers will vary based on the individual device, its age, and its condition.

appletradeinprogram-800x498.jpg
Apple has been making efforts in recent months to attract users switching from Android devices. In addition to this new trade-in program, the company has also created a detailed guide that walks Android users through moving data from their Android devices to the iPhone.

Following the launch of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, Apple CEO Tim Cook said the devices had brought the highest Android switcher rate Apple had seen in three years. At the time, Cook also said he expects to see more customers switching over to iPhone.

Apple retail employees will begin receiving training on the new trade-in program this week and it will launch in the near future.

Article Link: Apple to Lure Android Users to iPhone With New Trade-In Program

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I hope Apple is aggressive with the trade-in offers. This is a great opportunity to grab a new portion of the market for life. Once consumers switch to Apple products, they rarely switch back.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ha!

I checked the trade-in value of my iPhone 4 with my current carrier (Rogers Canada), and it was $14. No thanks! It's worth a lot more to me than that.

I can't imagine Apple would be giving much more value to Android devices. :p

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Didn't Microsoft do this a couple of years ago?

Except nobody wanted to trade their Iphones, or Android Phones for Windows Phones... ;-).

Xiomi is also doing trade ins for Iphones which anyone there would be crazy to do seeing as even used Iphones sell for a good price down there.

----------

I checked the trade-in value of my iPhone 4 with my current carrier (Rogers Canada), and it was $14. No thanks! It's worth a lot more to me than that.

If they give people $20, that's probably a lot more than what they're worth anyway ;-).

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
No - Microsoft has never given Apple Gift cards in exchange for Android phones.

Yes, well… I believe MS was trying to lure people away from their MacBook Airs, iPhones, iPads via trade in. Something like that.

Microsoft probably would have received more trade-ins if they did give away Apple gift cards, but that wasn't exactly their goal… :D

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
As an Android user who is thinking about switching, you have my attention...please continue.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008

My wife gave me a voucher for a free iPhone 6 for my birthday...I have the 4S 64GB. I keep asking myself why I want to plunk down $400 for a new 128GB model (I need more than 64GB especially if I am going to keep it for many years) when as far as I am concerned, the only improvement is the camera. Sure, the newer iPhones are slightly larger but I'm not watching movies/youtube nor crying for screen real estate. I really use my iPhone for (in no particular order) a)phone b)email c)pix d)quick web surf and e)texting.

If I buy the 6 I would still have this awesome 4S that is worth nothing on the street and nothing via Apple. The 4S would instantly be diminished to an MP3 player (which is ok) because I would likely port all my mail and apps to the iPhone 6.

I'm also petrified of buying now (and locking in a 2year contract) and then 6 months from now Apple releasing the next iPhone with something really innovative (that I could/would use) and I'm SOL.

If Apple/retailers offer some kind of $100 off the 128GB model within the next few weeks, that would probably get me to buy...otherwise I think I'm going to wait until October.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009

I was quoted something similar for one of my old phones. It is worth more than that to me as a wi-fi enabled iPod Touch type device. The kids can play games on it, watch Netflix, and browse the internet still.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
This moves makes it like Apple is the underdog and needs to lure in android to switch. Which is not a bad move imo, and make Apple very competitive.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It makes them look very defensive as well. Not the best look for them.

Trying to attract Android users is the opposite of defensive. It's aggressive, it's ballsy, it's signals a message of intent that Apple is ready to start taking bigger bites into the marketshare Android currently enjoys.

A defensive play would be just trying to shore up the existing user base and prevent them from switching. But they don't need to do that. Apple has the highest brand loyalty scores in the industry by a massive distance. And why? Because their products are amazing to use. This is why Apple wants to get their products into the hands of Android users too, because they know once they experience what Apple has to offer there is no going back.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Mmm nope, pretty sure I got that right the first time.

Most of Apple's highly touted features made their debut on Android and Samsung devices first. We iOS users owe quite a lot to Google and Samsung.

I think you got that backwards.

here we go again on this merrygoround.

why can't we just all finally just ****ing admit that all these companies borrow ideas constantly from eachother. cause thats what tech companies do. they borrow and build off eachother and drive competition.

it is good for everyone.

and holy crap bbeagle, you never get tired of trolling the same old crap do you

kcirtap00

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Mmm nope, pretty sure I got that right the first time.

Most of Apple's highly touted features made their debut on Android and Samsung devices first. We iOS users owe quite a lot to Google and Samsung.

Somehow I doubt you're an iOS user. Let's not forget that without Apple, Android wouldn't exist in its present form.

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
As much as I'd like to see Android disappear forever, its not quite on its last legs yet. Samsung however...

Just one question.

What's the benefit, to you as an Apple user/fan or to the millions of mobile consumers worldwide, if a prominent ecosystem or platform disappears forever (your words)?

Sounds like an emotional and frankly irrational statement that doesn't serve to progress the industry as a whole. Allegiances aside, continued evolution and improvement benefits most from feverish, unrelenting competition to best competitors.

Bring on improvements from everyone, we'll all be happy they did!

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
here we go again on this merrygoround.

why can't we just all finally just ****ing admit that all these companies borrow ideas constantly from eachother. cause thats what tech companies do. they borrow and build off eachother and drive competition.

The internet is built on strife and boobs, Vic. You can't honestly expect everyone using it to suddenly mature, and start thinking sensibly. The whole thing would burst into flames, and kill us all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.