Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

142224-Img0079_500.jpg

Along with announcing iOS 4.1 and the forthcoming iOS 4.2 for the iPad, Apple announced all-new iPod models at today's keynote event.

The new iPod shuffle will see the return of buttons and will still include the VoiceOver feature that debuted in the last Shuffle model. It also has playlists capability and will take advantage of the Genius Playlists recently introduced. It will have 15 hours of battery life and will come in 5 colors: silver, pink, gold, blue, and green. The 2 GB Shuffle will cost $49.

141950-Img0066_500.jpg

The iPod nano has also been updated, removing the click wheel and adding a multi-touch interface to reduce the device's overall size. The new nano is 46% smaller than its predecessor and will have 24-hour battery life.

The nano's new touch interface is similar to that of other iOS devices with a home screen populated with icons to access photos, artists, playlists, control playback, and more. The display's orientation can be manually rotated to accommodate the device's position when clipped to clothing. The nano will come in graphite, pink, blue, silver, green, gold, and a Product Red version will also be offered. It will cost $149 for 8 GB and $179 for 16 GB.

142407-Img0073_500.jpg

Finally, the next generation of the iPod touch includes the Retina Display with 324 pixels per inch that made its debut on the iPhone 4. The new iPod touch will also get Apple's A4 chip, a 3-axis gyroscope, a rear-facing camera that can record HD video, and a front-facing camera that will work with Facetime. The iPod touch will have iOS 4.1 with Apple's Game Center and will offer 40 hours of music playback battery life. The iPod touch will cost $229 for the 8 GB model, $299 for 32 GB, and $399 for 64 GB.

All new iPod models will be available starting next week and are available for pre-order on Apple's site today.

Article Link: Apple Announces All-New iPod Models: Shuffle, Nano and Touch

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Apple needs to update their download link to itunes.. Its still itunes 9.2..

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
The new Touch looks like a win! It is a 100% hit, with the exception of no flash and no 128GB storage. Not that I need that much, but I know some people here want a replacement to their classic.

ETA: Oh and no 3G. That would have been insane.

ETA2: .69 Megapixel back camera...that's why there is no flash for it. Ouch.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Yeah, I was wondering why nobody was talking about the fact that the videocam on the Nano is now gone...

-- Nathan

octane79

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Texas
Nano??

I don't see a market for the Nano. It seems like money would be better spent on a Shuffle and an 8GB Touch. I will definitely buy an Apple TV for the Netflix streaming.

carpathr

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
Just ordered my new iPod Touch to replace my 1G Touch. I'm just happy the rear camera will take stills. The stills aren't the greatest resolution in the world, but for simple photos to upload to Facebook, etc. - it will be just fine for my purposes.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I feel like overall it was a good event. But if wouldn't be an Apple Event without some people complaining because Apple didn't do this or that, because rumors said they would (Apple TV running iOS 4.0 with Apps, these are rumors after all)

I'm definitely getting the new nano and Apple TV for myself, I may buy some iPod touch's to give as gifts for my family members (FaceTime).

dbales

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
46% smaller on the Nano. Who cares? The constant need for Apple to miniaturize their products into uselessness is starting to wear on me.

This should be an iTouch Nano. This is what Apple should have done and kept the original Nano's basic specs. I've officially bought my last Nano. Sad.

Good news is that there are probably deals to be had on last year's Nano models.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Clean Sweep

Yeah you know who you are I said it and you wouldn't believe me.

Clean Sweep.

Just purchased a new 32GB Touch, can't wait!

Jamieserg

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
iPod Classic

What not 1 mention of the iPod classic.
I like the iPod classic as it's got a massive memory.
Looks like it'll just stay the same with no new updates and then slowly be taken off

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I don't get why apple doesnt expand the gigage on the ipod classic and put the price down to 200 bucks. I know many of my friends who would buy it!

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I have to agree, I'm not happy with the new ipod nano, smaller screen, no video, no cam..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.