Apple Announces Apple TV Take 2 + Price Drop

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Now there's no computer required - you can now rent movies directly on the Apple TV in your choice of DVD quality or HD + dolby 5.1 surround sound. Podcasts are available in audio and video format, as well as photos from Flikr and .Mac and sync with iTunes. AppleTV allows you to preview movies from the interface, and see what other users who have rented that movie have rented. Photo screensavers can be retrieved from .Mac web galleries. Music can be purchased from the iTunes Store from within the Apple TV.

The update is available as a free software update that should be available in two weeks for current AppleTV owners. Entry price for the AppleTV also drops from $299 to $229.

HD rentals are $4.99, with 100 titles available today.MacHeist is providing full sponsorship for our MacRumorsLive feed today. Buy their 14 application bundle for $49 and support MacRumorsLive.

Article Link: Apple Announces Apple TV Take 2 + Price Drop

2. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

Solid update that is enough to convince me to buy one.

3. macrumors P6

twoodcc

i do like this update. maybe i'll buy one someday

4. macrumors 6502

Refurbs for $199 now.

5. macrumors 6502a

BobVB

Last Question:

How are they doing the DD5.1 in the HD movies and will Handbrake be able to do the same thing? An AppleTV is going to be used for digitizing my DVD collection and DD5.1 capability is mandatory.

6. macrumors member

It still can't do 1080p or lossless surround sound, so my next disposable $250 is still earmarked for a Blu-Ray player. Maybe the next hardware update to the little box will be the one that gets me to splurge. Until then, I'd just as soon hook up the HDMI and optical cable to my MacBook. It does 1080p and Dolby Digital (thanks to Perian).

I hope Apple is planning on adding the iTunes store interface and on-screen movie rental functionality to FrontRow. That would be a big oversight if they don't.

7. macrumors 601

HiRez

When they say HD, is it 1080 or 720? I wonder how good the compression will be. If it's good I may finally buy into this scheme.

Still think the 24 hour limit is terrible, 30 hours would be much more useful. It's fine for people who don't work, have no kids or other interruptions in their life. But it's not enough for a lot of people.

8. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

I am guessing it is just an update in the audio codec to enable it (assuming it was always there in the content).

And I fully expect Handbrake and VisualHub will update to support it, as well.

9. macrumors 68040

Price hasn't dropped in the Finnish store :(. I hope it will drop soon. It would be a travesty if they dropped the US price, while keeping the Euro-prices steady at 299e and 399e! With these exchange-rates, it should be about 199e and 299e in Europe!

10. slu
    macrumors 68000

slu

This is great news. My biggest gripe with AppleTV has been lack of decent movie content (read: not enough studio support), lack of a rental option and the inability to buy/rent from the couch. Now that all of these have been addressed, I am going to buy one! HD content is just a big plus for me as I think the DVD quality looks fine on my HDTV.

IMO, this is a GREAT update and is exactly what this device needs. And it's good that this will apply to current AppleTV owners as well.

Now to wait for all the DVR wishers to complain!

11. macrumors regular

AirTunes anyone?

I can't shake the feeling that Apple looses touch with their clients more and more...
    Playing the same music in three rooms in synch is a great feature but why only in the AirPort Express? This so keeps me from buying an Apple TV...

And btw: What's going on with all that talk about digital downloads of Music and Movies recently? If you buy the CD you get the highest quality Audio and the long-life backup for free...
    Don't even get me startet about HD Movie downloads.

12. macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 603

Rocketman

So here's what I don't get. You have airport extreme with wifi, gigabit ethernet, and external USB disc plug. You have Apple TV with internal drive, video and audio out, and wifi. You have Time Capsule with wifi, internal drive and who knows what else. Much of the differentiation of the devices is software toggles.

Why not make one device? Call it Apple TV Plus and simply combine all those features into one. The only concern I can see is having two devices competing for a limited stream. That could be reduced by having the ability to "chain" any existing devices you already have so they are physically plugged or virtually plugged to Apple TV Plus. Also that device could have an ethernet cable to your primary internet connection. Sort of a multi-homing device.

As it is now to get all the functionality Apple wants to sell you a little at a time you have to spend around $600. Am all in one could be profitable at $400 and would fill the landfills with oddball devices less quickly.

Heck, add a "stack" option where you have a populatable unit for optical drive, spare HD, dock, other I/O options. The "new cube".

Rocketman

14. macrumors member

I'd assume they're adding real AC3 (Dolby Digital) support to Quicktime. Handbrake can already rip the AC3 track into an AVI container, and if you have Perian and QT Pro you can open an .avi file with AC3 audio and "Save As" a Quicktime .mov which can then be imported into iTunes. It then can play in FrontRow, but it won't work on a stock AppleTV. Perhaps once the AppleTV updates are done it will.

If that is the case, I'm sure Handbrake will get updated to allow it to rip the AC3 straight into a .mov or .mp4 file.

15. macrumors 68040

Let's see.... I could spend about 20e to buy a CD that has maybe 2-3 songs I like, or I could spend about 2-3e and buy just the songs I like, and they would be delivered to my computer in few seconds.

Now, this is a difficult choice... not!

16. macrumors 6502

Price drop, stand-alone operation, movie rentals, hd content + 5.1 surround = enough
    to get me to buy one finally...

17. macrumors newbie

30 Days after DVD release?

Am I reading this right? The movie will have been in Blockbuster and on Netflix for an entire MONTH before I can access it w/ an Apple TV?

18. macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm really glad to see that this is a free downloadable update and not a new device, or worse, something you have to pay for (say..... $20 :mad:)

I don't have an Apple TV, but with this and the new price drop, it is now within the realm of consideration. I want a flat panel TV to watch DVDs and rabbit ears to pick up local HD signals, without a subscription to cable or satellite. The Apple TV may be just the thing to fill in the gap.

Now, the only thing I need to do is find a way to hide it completely (it looks slim enough, maybe I can actually tuck it in behind the TV?) and program a universal remote with the Apple remote buttons.

19. macrumors 6502a

Wow, is that girl from the guided tour on apple.com how or what?? :eek:

And she finishes her presentation with "go to an apple store, maybe I'll see you there!"

Nice marketing, Apple! :D

20. macrumors 6502

You just answered your own question.

I agree.

21. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

Many people likely already have one or two of these components, so paying more for redundancy could be a turn-off. People would rather spend $200 for the final piece they need then $400 and duplicate the $400 they already had.

That being said, offering the base parts at $200 each as well as the "package deal" in one unit for $400-450 would be nice. I don't have any of the three, and plan to get two :)apple:tv and Time Capsule), so getting an Airport Express as part of the deal to replace my Linksys router would be a bonus. :cool:

22. macrumors member

No chance that the "share" optical drive that is available on the new macbook air will make its way to the apple tv i'm guessing...

23. macrumors 601

HiRez

I agree, it would be nice to integrate a lot of these overlapping features. And they probably will, and suck another $300-$500 out of us while doing so, for the same stuff we already bought in one box instead of 4. Not including AirTunes with the Airport Extreme base station is a terrible oversight.

24. macrumors regular

I like about 90% of the tracks on my 500+ CDs, thank you (I don't do Britney and Shakira).

I see your point though. It is nice to be able to select just a few specific songs or just one for that matter. I even did it myself.

My point is that I don't get how anyone can talk about a replacement of Optical Media when talking about downloads...

25. macrumors 6502

Watched the guided tour...

"HD is available for just $1 more."

Translation:

Only HD-New releases are $4.99
    Non-new releases are $3.99

Definitely worth it