Apple Announces Dictation, iCloud Tabs, and 'Power Nap' Features in OS X Mountain Lion, Available in July for $19.99

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 11, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple announced a release timeframe and pricing for Mountain Lion, the next version of the Mac operating system which was previewed earlier this year. Executives also gave a preview of some new features including dictation, iCloud Tabs, and Power Nap. Mountain Lion will be released in July through the Mac App Store for $19.99 and all Macs purchased starting today can receive an upgrade for free.

[​IMG]

The new dictation feature will be integrated throughout the operating system to allow dictation anywhere to enter text. Dictation was previously rumored in May when resource files in Safari listed keyboard shortcuts that pointed to dictation functions.

iCloud Tabs, a new feature in Safari on the Mac, was also demonstrated. iCloud Tabs will show all tabs open in Safari on all other iOS devices and Macs logged in to the same iCloud account. Safari also gains a unified search and address bar to streamline its interface.

Power Nap is a new feature that will carry out functions while a Mac is charging and sleeping. New emails will be downloaded, Time Machine will automatically run, app updates will be applied and other actions will be carried out with Power Nap, which will be available on the new ultra-thin MacBook Pro that was announced today and second-generation and later MacBook Airs.

[​IMG]

Apple first previewed Mountain Lion in February, highlighting many features already present in iOS, including Messages, Reminders, Notes, Notification Center, Game Center and more at that time.

Article Link: Apple Announces Dictation, iCloud Tabs, and 'Power Nap' Features in OS X Mountain Lion, Available in July for $19.99

2. macrumors member

Yeah because my Early 2011 13' MacBook Pro doesn't have the specs to run that Power Nap thing. Thank you so much Apple!!!

3. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

4. macrumors 6502a

olowott

Was really impressed with mouton lion, $19.99

WOW .....:rolleyes:

Come On!!

5. macrumors regular

I'm sure it has more to do with allowing devices that can only sell with flash memory to use the feature

6. macrumors newbie

iMac refresh?

I wonder what's up with the iMac refresh ...:apple:

7. Yamcha, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

macrumors 68000

Did anyone notice the new dock? It looks awesome..
    [​IMG]

8. macrumors regular

9. macrumors 6502

antmarobel

I'm running here the last preview and a lot of bugs and difficulties so far. It looks like, though my hardware configuration ( iMac 27, i5, 2,8 Ghz, 8GB memory ran ), that Mountain Lion is not a multi task system. If it will be released in July I think it will be another "failure" just like Lion.:mad:

10. macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

yeah that extremely pissed me off. I mean my computer is only a year old with simular specs. Crazy how 14 months is basically out-dated completely.

11. macrumors 603

There is a very good reason: you don't want your hard drive spinning all the time.

I wonder if there will be a way to enable it for those of us who've installed SSDs in our MBPs.

12. macrumors 65816

Agreed. Not a fan of how quickly they phase out old computers.
    Same with iOS and Siri only available on the NEW Ipad. Ipad2 is basically the same thing!

13. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

I hope someone finds a work around for the power nap thing. i would love to have it on my 2011 mbp.

14. macrumors 6502a

With OS X seemingly switching to dirt cheap 1-year release cycles, what is the thinking/advice of those who usually recommend waiting until 10.x.2 or 10.x.3 updates before purchasing major OS updates?

15. macrumors 603

It looks the same to me, but that's because I use the 2D version...is it less glossy than the old one was?

16. macrumors 68030

I can't believe that price. I guess the App Store and all the extra stuff is where the real money maker is. I'm in line to buy this for sure though!

17. macrumors 603

Not the app store, the hardware.

18. macrumors 68000

Yup less glossy then the old one, looks more like an aluminum dock.. I think it looks great :)

[​IMG]

19. zin
    macrumors 6502

Cherish this moment, Brits.

OS X Mountain Lion will be $19.99, which is actually £15.46 factoring in tax at today's exchange rate; the Apple website says it'll be £13.99.

:D

20. macrumors regular

telepati

If Im not wrong apple will release today GM right?

21. macrumors 68000

Nice!

22. macrumors regular

macnerd77

Do developers get a free copy of Mountain Lion once it is released or do they still have to pay for it? I don't mind paying for it at all, i was just curious. iOS has always been a free update for me, just not sure about OS X.

----------

apple said that what will be released today will be close to the GM. But not the GM.

----------

Kind of reminds me of the apple remote.

23. macrumors regular

madrich

I am staying with Snow Leopard for my MacBookPro4,1 (early 2008). It runs great!!!!

24. macrumors regular

telepati

Said latest dev preview release today. Always been final preview GM.

25. macnerd77, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

macrumors regular

macnerd77

Once the entire line of apple products have been switched over to flash instead of hd's, the software will be much more compatible.