Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Functions, templates and filters/loops from DVD Studio Pro, Color & Soundtrack Pro are now a built-in part of Final Cut Pro X :

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/#audio-editing

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/#color-grading

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/#optimized-output

So no, those 3 applications were abandoned. We will have to test this out and see if what we lost/gained in the process.

I'm excited, but hesitant to dload b/c of DVDSP. I still use it alot and would like to know how it's integrated.

I'm going to wait for some professional (or otherwise) reviews which show that workflow in videos and/or photos. Same with compressor. After the issues I had with it, I'm VERY gunshy to dload it - even at only $50. If it truly does distributed encoding easily between machines, I might be in.

until then, I will resist all urge and hang on. FCS does work for me....at least that's what I'll keep telling myself :)

AdamZ9876

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
App store Credit Card processing not working

So the credit card processing is already down, or maybe just a server? Its only been out a few hours and this is already a problem?

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
As someone who makes a living from this software, I'm disturbed by the comments that it overwrites the previous version.

There is no way I'm going to slug out a learning curve on my clients' projects. I was relying on both versions being able to exist concurrently so that I could continue to be productive while learning the new version.

This one or the other approach shows total disrespect for the existing user-base and a lack of understanding of professional work environments.

I'll be holding out until I have downtime at the end of the year or an old machine I can sacrifice before even considering this.

Best Wishes to the early adopters.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
As someone who makes a living from this software, I'm disturbed by the comments that it overwrites the previous version.

There is no way I'm going to slug out a learning curve on my clients' projects. I was relying on both versions being able to exist concurrently so that I could continue to be productive while learning the new version.

This one or the other approach shows total disrespect for the existing user-base and a lack of understanding of professional work environments.

I'll be holding out until I have downtime at the end of the year or an old machine I can sacrifice before even considering this.

Best Wishes to the early adopters.

People are already discovering tricks so they don't overwrite. Rename your old FCP 7 app.

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Motion is Slow

Yes Motion 5 is slow.

Just clicking on a text sequence preview like drip in or Approach in and watch it struggle to play.

10GB RAM, Quad 2.8 Mac Pro and Motion 5 is slow?

The interface blows too. Wow this is not good so far.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Does anyone know whether FCPX supports AVCHD editing natively, or does one need to go via ProRes422 still?

Studio96

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
UK Store changes

The UK website store is not showing any FCP or FCE products at the moment, or Time Capsules..

For me (FCE user), Final Cut Pro X - and at this price - is a no brainer.. Excellent..

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I'm excited, but hesitant to dload b/c of DVDSP. I still use it alot and would like to know how it's integrated.

I'm going to wait for some professional (or otherwise) reviews which show that workflow in videos and/or photos. Same with compressor. After the issues I had with it, I'm VERY gunshy to dload it - even at only $50. If it truly does distributed encoding easily between machines, I might be in.

until then, I will resist all urge and hang on. FCS does work for me....at least that's what I'll keep telling myself :)

quoted from the article by Larry previously listed in this thread:

"
* If you simply need to burn your project to either DVD or Blu-ray, the new Final Cut makes this easy. If you need to author a DVD, or Blu-ray, you’ll need to use either DVD Studio Pro or Adobe Encore."

doh!

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Yes Motion 5 is slow.

Just clicking on a text sequence preview like drip in or Approach in and watch it struggle to play.

10GB RAM, Quad 2.8 Mac Pro and Motion 5 is slow?

The interface blows too. Wow this is not good so far.

It's a .0 release, and it has been out hours; are you genuinely surprised by this? :p

dbattle

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
Metro Washington DC
Will hold off for now. While some features are definitely worth upgrading - here are some that make we want to wait

1) no side by side support. I don't understand why you can't have FCP and FCP X both installed. Can you have both Motions installed?

2) Previous motion templates not functional

3) no multicam support

4) cannot easily import previous projects.

Now all of these could be handled by having both versions installed. But that's also not exactly "user friendly"...

I'm sure some/all of these will be resolved. I hope anyway. But until there's progress there. I'll wait. As tempting as it might be.

According to Larry Jordans Blog (http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html) This is actually the first time that the two can co-exist. He's been running them side by side for months.

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Just saw Larry's piece. What a relief.

Thanks for the clarification - seems I'll have to download it to check it out.

Best Wishes.

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
It's a .0 release, and it has been out hours; are you genuinely surprised by this? :p

I am surprised. Motion 4 was much more polished and felt like a real program.
This is all dark and feels like a PC program. Why it's not optimized for speed is beyond me. Leaving out all the old templates is a bummer and they included a couple templates that are just silly.

Maybe you have to purchase FCPX in order to get the templates? Anyone know if you can get the templates from Apple as another download?

jkester

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
Does anyone know how to import FCP 7 project files, or if it's possible? I can't seem to figure it out.

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Can anyone tell me Motion 5 is a standalone app or it's an installer inside and app like Lion is?

Motion 5 is installed for you once you buy it. It just has an icon in the apps folder called Motion. When you first double click on the file though about 5 icons launch in the dock, so it appears to maybe be installing something.

Studio96

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
.. and FCE links are now dead. That's the end of that then - but at £179 for Pro, that's not a surprise.

ryanvalle

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Just installed Final Cut Pro X. FCP7 (and previous apps) is still on the computer but has been moved to a Final Cut Studio Folder within the APplications Folder

L

lukemcurley

Anyone know how VAT will be handled with this download?

Apple use Luxembourg as their VAT registered address for the App Store. But any business who is VAT registered outside of Luxembourg should not be charged VAT on purchases, or like Amazon provide a system to refund the VAT paid.

Apple provided me with this reply when I looked for the VAT back from them on a recent purchase:

"[Apple App Store] sells only to customers as end-users for personal, noncommercial use in their respective countries of residence"

Not sure how that fits with their Pro Apps announced today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.