Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holyghost

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Madison, WI
Reduced Free Space

Funny you should mention that. When I upgraded to iPhone OS 1.1.3, using iTunes 7.5, I actually got back ~3mb. After the iPhone OS update, I installed iTunes 7.6 and found that after syncing, an additional 150+ mb of stuff (categorized as "other") was loaded on the iPhone. I suspect it may have something to do with the iTunes Movie Rental software?

Arrrrgggh!!

After the upgrade, my iPhone dropped from 185.6 MB free to just 10.8 MB free!
The space used by other is now 220 MB. And yes I was already fully sync'd prior to the upgrade.

There is WAY WAY too much bloat creeping in to an already cramped 8 GB device. :-(

I want a way to delete un-needed languages at a minimum. :-(

archonium

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
Yeah I noticed that too.

I agree I think it has something to do with the whole iTunes rental, and possibly the titles and caption features for movies.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Get a grip and grow up a bit!!!!!

BTW, Thanks apple for making the touch virtully the same as my iphone now. "oh its got 2-4 times as much storage and all the same features as your iphone except for the camera and phone appn now, we dont care" hahaha!!! apple jerks

The whole point of iPhone is that it is an iPod with a CELL PHONE. Nothing less nothing more.

Personally though I take the view that both the iPhone and the iPod Touch are tablet computers that share a common software platform but differ in hardware. Looked at that way the Touch tablet family is not different than the array of products in the Mini or iMac line ups. You buy the hardware that fits your needs.

Dave

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Funny you should mention that. When I upgraded to iPhone OS 1.1.3, using iTunes 7.5, I actually got back ~3mb. After the iPhone OS update, I installed iTunes 7.6 and found that after syncing, an additional 150+ mb of stuff (categorized as "other") was loaded on the iPhone. I suspect it may have something to do with the iTunes Movie Rental software?

Fine... Let me delete that crap as well. :-(

That content, and much of the existing iPhone application content should be treated as any other "optional" software, once the SDK is real and active. We should be able to "manage" the content...opt in / out of things we don't use. Just as we will be able pick choose 3rd party to add/remove.

I mean if I want to delete software from my Mac that I don't use, that's my choice. Should be same with iPhone.

If the device had a REASONABLE amount of capacity in the first place, then I wouldn't be writing this note. :-(

I was really looking forward to an announcement for a 16 GB iPhone. :-(

Regards,
\Leon

ezrabud

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2002
Poorly Tested Update

I was able to download and install the update after a few hours of waiting. A few observations;

-Driving direction functionality no longer works when looking up addresses from the address book
-Triangulation has worked flawlessly thus far
-Still no copy & paste
-Rearranging icons is a nice feature, but mostly worthless at this point
-Webclips works as advertised
-Phone numbers listed as notes in either the calendar or notes application still do not link to make a phone call.
-Reset my gmail IMAP account. I must now go back through all the messages again to mark as read.
-The phone is now incorrectly syncing contacts with Outlook on Windows XP. I am not sure why and iTunes lacks the control to fix the problem
-Still fails to sync email via Outlook on Windows XP
-Still unable to sync bookmarks with anything other than Internet Explorer on the PC (how about Firefox Apple?)

Overall, I find this update extremely buggy and very lacking. The couple of new features are impressive but several key usability enhancements are still curiously absent in this update.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Like I have been saying for months... There was no way Apple was going to update the iPhone within a year. Had they announced a new model today, the millions of people that just got an iPhone within the last month would be furious. There will be an iPhone two, but I don't expect to see it til at least the end of 2008. More features and a possible new design need to be developed first.

What do you mean no updates? This is a pretty major update and the previous weren't nothing to sneeze at.

Just one bit of this update, google mapping, looks like a major rewrite of the app. Frankly I don't get the negativity. The download is like 160 some Megabytes of code, and that isn't an update.

Dave

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
What do you mean no updates? This is a pretty major update and the previous weren't nothing to sneeze at.

Just one bit of this update, google mapping, looks like a major rewrite of the app. Frankly I don't get the negativity. The download is like 160 some Megabytes of code, and that isn't an update.

Dave

No point in bothering arguing on this forum man...

They moaned about the iPod when it was released...
They moaned about the iPhone when it was released...
They moaned when Apple TV didn't do rentals...
They moaned when Apple TV does do rentals...
They moaned when Apple didn't have a super thin laptop...
They moaned when Apple did have a super thin laptop...

I could go on and on.

naquada

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
The 'Locate Me' feature is working great for me in the UK.

hmm odd.. mine cant locate me... certainly not in the areas around Reading.. which has a pretty high cell density... any ideas?????

locate me certainly isnt working for me...

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but after the update the dock background has now changed slightly (the dots don't go all the way to the left/right edges).

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
A few corrections:

They moaned when iTunes didn't do rentals...
They moaned when iTunes didn't do HD rentals for no reason...
They moaned when Apple didn't have an ultra-portable laptop...
They moaned when Apple's idea of an ultra-portable laptop turned out to not be ultra-portable...

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
hmm odd.. mine cant locate me... certainly not in the areas around Reading.. which has a pretty high cell density... any ideas?????

locate me certainly isnt working for me...

Just down the road in Basingstoke isn't much better. It's working, but the whole town has a big circle around it!! Well duh, I knew I was in Basingstoke. Certainly not usable. :(

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
Just installed 1.1.3. Not surprisingly the Ringtones I installed with iToner do not work. They still show up in the Ringtones list on the phone, but when tapped they don't work. Alas.
have just found out how to make it work thanks to the guys on the ambrosia forum.
it will only work on audio files in .m4a format - so if you're ringtones before were .mp3s you'll need to convert them i think

anyway, find the .m4a files in the finder, Get Info on them, change the extension to .m4r (doesn't work if you do it in a finder window apparently, had to be the Get Info screen)
then drag them onto iToner and sync from there.
s'worked fine on mine so far

only thing i really miss now from my hacked version of the phone is having wallpaper behind the home screen icons

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Why no 16gig version for the iPhone?

How difficult is that? That's the only reason for me not buying an iPhone Today. 8 gig won't cut for me unfortunately.

Man, tired of waiting.:mad:

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Also, it seems Apple has expanded the space available for sms texts. I had been getting that annoying message about needing to delete texts - but now it's gone.

Any idea how many it can store? I don't have an iPhone, but this has annoyed me with other phones. I mean each message can only need a few bytes, so why is there an artificial limit when you have potentially 8GB available?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Any idea how many it can store? I don't have an iPhone, but this has annoyed me with other phones. I mean each message can only need a few bytes, so why is there an artificial limit when you have potentially 8GB available?

It doesn't store the messages in the 8GB of space. I think it is stored in the 128MB RAM that the phone has. But you are right the database size is quite small.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
It doesn't store the messages in the 8GB of space. I think it is stored in the 128MB RAM that the phone has. But you are right the database size is quite small.

Don't really see why it can't shove them onto the disk when you haven't accessed them for a while. Not really a big deal though.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
the guy in the video said something about it now displaying lyrics... Does it download them or does he mean it'll display 'em if you stored them in iTunes
If you have lyrics saved in your songs on itTunes then they will sync to the iPhone and when the song is playing tap the album cover to display the lyrics and tap to turn off.
I use a widget called Sing that iTune which downloads and saves lyrics in the background when you play songs on iTunes.

PellMellow12

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Long ringtone = good alarm

Yeah, but why would you have a ringtone longer than 30 seconds (actually, the limit is 40)? Your phone doesn't ring that long.

One good reason to have a long ringtone- to use it as an alarm. Set a whole song to wake you up and you can wake in comfort. :)

-Pell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.