Apple Announces iPod Touch Software Update

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

During Steve Jobs' keynote address, he announced 5 new apps for the iPod Touch: Mail, Stocks, Notes, Weather, Maps.

The updated software will be available to existing users for a $20 upgrade fee.

Article Link
  2. macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    my brother has an iPod touch. don't know if he's got $20 though
  3. macrumors 6502

Aug 20, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    $20 seems a bit rich... but I guess if I had a Touch I'd pay it.
  4. macrumors 65816

Dec 1, 2005
    20$ hmmm. Not really a great move by Apple. But it`s just 20 bucks in the end. So no need for any whining. Better than having to jailbreak just for these apps.
  5. macrumors regular

May 23, 2007
    Maybe the $20 price is for Sarbanes Oxley related accounting, like the 802.11n update.
  6. macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2007
    Again, Apple screws the early adopters.

$20 isn't bad, but still. It's the principle that "new" iPod Touches will include the update.

Still, I'll buy it for my Touch.
  7. macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2007
    Yay, a necessary firmware upgrade disguised as a $20 app upgrade package. Way to go Apple. :rolleyes:
  8. macrumors regular

Apr 2, 2005
    $20 for this update? I thought it was a joke at first. Can't you just jailbreak an iPod touch and add all those apps to it for free? Sometimes Apple just doesn't make any sense.
  9. macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    So, if I buy a new iPod Touch today from Amazon and it doesn't include the new software will I have to fork over $20? Or will I be able to get it for free when I register the device?
  10. macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I wonder the same thing. I bought a touch yesterday afternoon. Sheesh.:(
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2006
    Will there be two firmware versions from here on out for those who don't pony up the $20?
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2006
    no problem, you're within Apple's 14 day return policy.
  13. macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2005
    Has mail now, that's great. Now I just need a cisco
    vpn client (altogether possible with an SDK coming soon)
    and a storage bump and I'll be all over the touch.
  14. macrumors regular

Apr 2, 2005
    Yeah, but since he's presumably opened it, won't they charge him a restocking fee? This is a huge boat-load of crap.
  15. macrumors 6502

Nov 22, 2007
    Apple is just plain greedy. I wish they would stop doing these things. God bless piracy, I'm sure the official firmware update will be online shortly.
  16. macrumors 68020

Mar 1, 2004
    As bad as this is that it costs to get these new apps, you have to remember Apple was never going to release them for free in the first place. They're only adding it as an option now because so many people are having to resort to jailbreaking just because those apps are useful.

If they'd originally released the iPod touch with these apps the fear was it would eat away at iPhone sales, and even though Steve said there were 4 million iPhone sales, he didn't say how many iPod touch sales there were.

I'm actually pleased that this update isn't going to cost me much, and for what, a bit of good karma because I'm not stealing, OK, fine by me. For others it wont be enough.

I'm thinking iTunes will have an applications folder. They'll be stored in there, you'll still download iPod touch-specific updates but you'll be able to add your applications again afterwards if they're removed or what not.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Mar 14, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    restocking fee? There goes 15% right?
  18. macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2007
    Upstate, NY

I find it utterly atrocious that apple wants to charge me $20 for applications that they gave away on the iphone. That is absolute bull. A factor that made me buy the iPod touch was because apple said that they had other features down the line that they would be adding. I didn't expect to have to pay for such applications! I gave them $400+ of my money for an iPod touch and THEY WANT MORE?!?! Jailbreak it is. I am very pissed off. I love apple and have always granted them praise, but this is an outrage.
  19. macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    An odd discrepancy...

I think it's odd that the Apple TV gets a s**tload of new features and that software upgrade is FREE.

But iPod Touch gets features that aren't really new, and it costs $20?

I guess the Apple TV updates are going to be subsidized by the movie rental costs.

Oh, and Time Capsule? Now there's a bait and switch. You can't use Time Machine over a network connection UNLESS you buy our box. That's ridiculous.
  20. macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    $20 is a bit sucky... Never mind, I paid it already.
  21. macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2006
    Yeah, cheaper to pay for the update...or just jailbreak
  22. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002
    Register your discontent

Ugh.. I hope they don't justify this with that accounting BS again. Honestly... someone will pirate this and it'll be on bittorrent before next week. Alternatively, JailBreak the touch.

If you're as annoyed as I am about this... register your discontent with this obnoxious practice here:
  23. macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2007
    Wiltshire, England
    Once this is jalibroken Im on it. The rearrangeable Home screen will save a lot of hassle with Customize :rolleyes:
  24. macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2007
    Upstate, NY
    True, but apple tv wasn't selling as apple had hoped when it was released.
  25. macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2003
    How am I supposed to buy the update if I live in Poland, where there's no iTunes Store?