Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
It never ceases to amaze me how much whining people do.

Those who bought their iPod Touches (myself included) early knew full-well what the product was supposed to have. And that did NOT include these apps. There was no garuntee that those apps would ever be made available. You knew exactly what you were getting.

So now that Apple is offering the apps, you complain, because you want it for Free? You bought the product expecting it to do something, and now you complain when Apple doesn't update your product to the latest and greatest, for free?

Let me explain something. Apple is in business to MAKE MONEY. Not to give fanboys stuff for free. Someone had to code all those apps, and make sure they work properly on the iPod Touch (which IS different from the iPhone despite what people say). Imagine if I bought a car, and 4 weeks later a new model, with the same body but a better, upgraded engine came out. Should I be able to bitch and moan and get the auto company to upgrade my engine for free?

It would be great to get those 5 apps for free, but as it is they are asking $4 dollars per application. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick and tired of everyone complaining when Apple doesn't hand them everything on a silver platter.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
...The person who bought the iTouch was foolish to do so. Even if you have never known that MacWorld meant new stuff, if you come to MacRumors.com and see that the website is making a HUGE deal out of it, there has to be a reason for it...

Maybe but let's face it, we've talk more about the MacBook Air (and the name) then about the iTouch...

One (quite savy Macrumors member) could expect an iPhone update because it's already been a few months since the introduction but not necessarily about the iTouch (it's a "more recent" device). As a proof, the only update about the iTouch was 4 new widgets/apps (which now cost $20 for early adopters).

So i wouldn't go as far as call him "foolish" :rolleyes:
Maybe just "unlucky"... ;)

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2006

Those who bought their iPod Touches (myself included) early knew full-well what the product was supposed to have. And that did NOT include these apps. There was no garuntee that those apps would ever be made available. You knew exactly what you were getting.

So now that Apple is offering the apps, you complain, because you want it for Free? You bought the product expecting it to do something, and now you complain when Apple doesn't update your product to the latest and greatest, for free?

Let me explain something. Apple is in business to MAKE MONEY. Not to give fanboys stuff for free. Someone had to code all those apps, and make sure they work properly on the iPod Touch (which IS different from the iPhone despite what people say). Imagine if I bought a car, and 4 weeks later a new model, with the same body but a better, upgraded engine came out. Should I be able to bitch and moan and get the auto company to upgrade my engine for free?

It would be great to get those 5 apps for free, but as it is they are asking $4 dollars per application. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick and tired of everyone complaining when Apple doesn't hand them everything on a silver platter.

Though I agree with you on some level, I know full well, minimal effort was made to "port" the already coded apps from the iPhone to an iPod Touch.

Hackers did it in a matter of days.

I think you fail to see the bigger picture of why people are upset.

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Your one of those dipsticks that nukes everything....like it actually matters how I type...apparently people read it just fine... whats your address ill ship over hooked on phonics

It's not how you type, it's how you mangle the damn language.

My address:
The Southern Comforter™
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20500

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Dude your ridiculous..... the OS on both the iPhone and iPod Touch are exactly the same just missing the Edge....when the ipod got released it had error screens from the iPhone.... Do your research

Right, the OS is the same. The Hardware is not. Therefore there is not a 100% garuantee that the Apps will work the same or that they should be the same.

Case in point: Maps. The iPhone's Map app has location by triangulation from Cell phone towers. Now obviously, the iPod touch doesn't have that. So something in the program has to be different. Someone has to test that stuff.

SubliminalMac

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
Update On Discussion And Update Via Itunes

They Are Both Still Down!!! :d

We Need To Make Apple Learn From This Cause Apparently They Didnt From The Iphone Deboggle.

Keep Vitrually Stoning Them And They Will Give Sooner Or Later And From The Looks Of The Discussion Page And Update Server Being Down There Doing It Now

carlodemarchis

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Updated and spent 17.99 EURO but it does not work (ITA)

Hi all, i bought it from the store and i got redirected to my Italian iTunes account - 17.99 euro. Accepted all conditions hen got a confirmation screen.
Connected iPod touch... then what???? I've tried "check for update" but got nothing and an error. What should i do? Anybody got it ok on the ipod tocuh???

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Mark my words. Apple didnt pay back coz of consumer complaints. They knew it was going to happen and planned it in advance. Apple aint no fool. They know what consequences they`ll be facing for their actions.

And I just dont understand why people are crying over 20$. You`re not forced to buy the apps. Pay for them only if you feel the price is right. Yes it`d be better if Apple included these apps with the update for free. So what if they didnt. You still have an option to get it if you like. Just stop crying and making a big deal out of it.

It`s just 20 bucks. And it`s still optional. No one`s forcing any one.

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe I'm dense.

But are Touches shipping with this update today? I was going to buy one tomorrow. =/

PMartinez527

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
Right, the OS is the same. The Hardware is not. Therefore there is not a 100% garuantee that the Apps will work the same or that they should be the same.

Case in point: Maps. The iPhone's Map app has location by triangulation from Cell phone towers. Now obviously, the iPod touch doesn't have that. So something in the program has to be different. Someone has to test that stuff.

They said in the keynote that maps for iphone will use cell towers AND wifi hotspots, touch will only use the wifi hotspots. therefore porting maps from iphone will work on ipod touch. i give them 2 days before the upgrades to mail and maps are on applerepo.com

jonathanjong

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
So, we're all here complaining about how Apple has once again conned the early adopters, how the $20 is unfair, etc. And yet many of these rants end with: "But I've paid my $20." And this is why Apple can continue doing this to its consumers. We moan and complain, but in the end we give in. Here's a thought: Don't. Just jailbreak your iPod Touches and you'll get Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, and Notes for free. It's worked brilliantly for pretty much everyone who's done it. No bricking, no hardware hack involved. If you're ever dissatisfied, just Restore. No harm, no foul. Sure, third-party apps might not be as slick and smooth as Apple's born-and-breds, but I think the slight hassle Customize might have over Apple's solution is worth defending the principle. Let's do our part to put an end to this madness: Don't upgrade, just jailbreak.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Maybe but let's face it, we've talk more about the MacBook Air (and the name) then about the iTouch...

One (quite savy Macrumors member) could expect an iPhone update because it's already been a few months since the introduction but not necessarily about the iTouch (it's a "more recent" device). As a proof, the only update about the iTouch was 4 new widgets/apps (which now cost $20 for early adopters).

So i wouldn't go as far as call him "foolish" :rolleyes:
Maybe just "unlucky"... ;)

Unlucky is more like it. And I'm not as miffed as I could be. I didn't invest much time into jailbreaking, and although my mail app doesn't work, going to the mobile yahoo site works just as fine. Now, if there was a NEW touch introduced, or was being talked about....I would have held off buying. This is sorta different.

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
Just to clarify:

Upgrade iTunes to 7.6

Upgrade iPod touch firmware to 1.1.3
This includes:
- Horrible iPhone Dock
- Ability to move Apps around/change dock
- Web clips
- Bug Fixes (inevitably, but always good)

Pay £13/$20 for new Apps:
- Mail
- Widgets
- Notes
- Weather
- Stocks
- Maps (new and improved from JailBreak versions)

OR

Wait around for those boffins to hack 1.1.3 and get it all for free

Am I right?:apple:

~Dray

pubius

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
the only thing missing from the iTouch is a constant internet connection... ...and SMS (which they didn't bother "fixing" the hard ability to type on the keyboard)
you know. i was a little sketched out by the keyboard too. but with time i am really used to it. i can blaze through paragraphs. and it's really smart about guessing the words from mis-types. i wouldn't let that stand in the way at all.

ridli

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008

While I agree that the community is behaving like a petulant child, your analogy is a little strained. I would suggest that this is more like you bought a car and then the manufacturer updated it: the body is the same, the style is the same, it is in fact, still a car. But now it has cupholders. That doesn't make driving the car any different, it just now has an extra perk.

Anyway, I think Apple just *really* misjudged the price point. There is something magical about 20 dollars, I don't know why or how, but 20 dollars is some amazing figure that implies a crazy amount of value to a lot of people. If this were say, $9 dollars I would imagine there would be a lot less anger. I think that deep down a reasonable person knows that there is value in this update. But the miser in all of us rankles as forking over 20 dollars for most anything.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
"From the people who charged you for wireless n and to make ringtones from your own music..." ! I really hate this overly-greedy streak in Apple lately. Are the same employees that come up with these idiotic plans getting moved around departments or something?

New iPhone software - free.
New AppleTV software - free.
New iPod Touch software - $20.

Utter nonsense. It just looks stupid. If they're going to charge for it, at least bundle it with a game or two instead of just repacking apps from the iPhone that should have been on the Touch from day one IMHO.

lavem

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2005

I'm definitely waiting to see what they do over the 3rd party apps functionality. I just don't see the value in this, you can get it all via Safari anyway. And I'd hate to get stung every other month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.